So They Didnt Find the God Particle Afterall

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yall know that big machine that smashes things looking for the god particle, well they thought they had found pieces of it but turned out to just be dust or debri. That sucks.

EDIT. Link is not talking bout God Paticle but someother new particle they thought the found

They were definitely observing a brand-new particle. At the time, though, there remained a single unconfirmed piece of the Standard Model: ATLAS and CMS had found the Higgs boson, the final piece of the puzzle.

The photons at 750 gigaelectronvolts wouldn’t be completing any puzzle. They’d be extra pieces to the one already completed by the Higgs. “This was extremely intriguing,” Giudice says, “because it could not be explained by the Standard Model. This was absolutely clear.” The Standard Model does predict some photons summing to that energy, but nowhere near as many as ATLAS and CMS observed last year. Physicists flooded journals with papers, inventing potential new physics on the fly or adapting existing frameworks to account for the extra photons. Meanwhile, ATLAS and CMS continued to search for more data, just like they had for the Higgs.

Alas, there seems to be nothing new under the Sun. If you flip a coin enough times, you’re going to get a run of twenty “heads” in a row; if you crash enough photons, sometimes you’ll get a collection of 750 gigaelectronvolt photon pairs. The run of “heads” doesn’t necessarily mean that the coin is rigged, and the extra photons don’t necessarily mean the Standard Model is broken. There were just more of certain kinds of wreckage than are usually seen. The photons, in other words, were just a blip of particularly interesting noise. “This is pretty unfortunate,” theoretical physicist Michele Redi writes in an email, “as it would have been the greatest discovery in several decades in our field.”

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/sorry-folks-lhc-didnt-find-new-particle/

Last edited:
Pretty sure they found it

...checkmate atheists?

That isn't what the article is saying. They put that on the headline to get people to read it. All it is saying is that the standard model of quantum physics, in which every particle has a mirror or anti-particle, has been called into question by these extra photons they keep detecting. But it was already called into question because it predicted the Higgs-Boson to be at 115 gev, and when they detected it, which they did do, it weighed much more than predicted by the standard model.

Last edited:
What exactly would be a god particle?

Looks like the great philosopher Shaggy 2 Dope was right again
Fuckin scientists

Ahh' science. It's 100% irrefutable proof of something, until it isn't.

Reading this a few times they're not talking about the Higgs Boson (so-called God Particle), but another series of observations, completely unrelated to the Higgs. They are saying that what they thought would be something significant, ie the 750 GeV photons, turned out to be just to be a coincidence. The Higgs Boson would have an energy of roughly 125GeV, so these photons are not related at all to the Higgs.

They are saying there will be an information dump later today... I'm definitely keeping my eye on this, but I'm certain they're not talking about the Higgs Boson, or the so-called "God Particle."

That isn't what the article is saying. They put that on the headline to get people to read it. All it is saying is that the standard model of quantum physics, in which every particle has a mirror or anti-particle, has been called into question by these extra photons they keep detecting. But it was already called into question because it predicted the Higgs-Boson to be at 15 gev, and when they detected it, which they did do, it weighed much more than predicted by the standard model.

What exactly are they saying could be a god particle?

So are you saying there's a pantheon of god particles now? Great...

Soon we'll have holy wars between atheists, like "My God particle is superior to your God particle!"

It is a name given to a particle that gives other particles their mass. It has nothing to do with religion. It is a whimsical name.

It is a name given to a particle that gives other particles their mass. It has nothing to do with religion. It is a whimsical name.

I honestly thought they were referring to a diety.

They're not saying that they didn't find the Higgs-Bosun or that the Higgs-Bosun doesn't exist. Back in December, they thought that they had found evidence of a new particle not predicted by the Standard Model of physics. Something that was like a bigger, badder, Higgs-Bosun. They now know that that "new particle" does not exist. They're disappointed because, it means that there is nothing new or exiting in the world of physics.

There was a lot of disappointment when they found Higgs-Bosun as well (notably from Stephen Hawking), because all it did was re-confirm that the Standard Model is correct and that there was nothing new under the sun. Physicists are strange breed; they're like marathon runners stuck on treadmills.

why would the link lie?

Though the link does seem to be credible, never dismiss the probability that perhaps this link is bad.

I just conducted my own (brief google) search on this topic. Nothing pertaining to your claim, or the claim of your link, is popping up. Maybe if I were to dig deeper, I'd find more.

I'm unconvinced unless I see more sources back this claim.

The Wired article doesn't even mention the god particle, just TS in the original post.

This article talks about some phenomenon they observed, which they didn't expect, but it turns out it wasn't new physics, just chance.

Though the link does seem to be credible, never dismiss the probability that perhaps this link is bad.

I just conducted my own (brief google) search on this topic. Nothing pertaining to your claim, or the claim of your link, is popping up. Maybe if I were to dig deeper, I'd find more.

I'm unconvinced unless I see more sources back this claim.

No. From what @Soda Popinsky and @usmctanker242 are saying,I now see that this is a DIFFERENT partilce they thought they found and not talking about the God Partilce. I will edit the OP.

Back