So there are only 5 good Heavy Weights in the world?

I don't quite buy the whole a level sports stealing the best athletes thing. There are tons of big fast powerful guys warming the bench making pretty unimpressive salaries, or even worse in some place like the cfl and requiring a part time job. These are guys who are only slightly too slow or slightly too small to make the big bucks but are still light years ahead of mma heavies in terms of traditional athleticism. If it was so easy these guys would come make much better money and get much more spotlight being top 5 hw, big fishin it in a small pond.
The first overall pick of the 2017 CFL draft, Faith Ekakitie, was cut from his team after only one year (14 games). A lot of these CFL players are just flat out bad at football. Guys who arguably have the talent to get into the NFL, but don't make it, simply don't go looking for jobs in other leagues. They continually, all year long, try to get onto practice squads and then hope from there they have a chance at the NFL. Even just a single season in the NFL will vastly out pay 10 years in the CFL.

There's simply no real incentive to play in the bottom tear leagues, from a money stand point, unless you have absolutely zero chance of making it. And if that's the case you aren't a high-quality athlete anyway.

The first overall pick of the 2017 CFL draft, Faith Ekakitie, was cut from his team after only one year (14 games). A lot of these CFL players are just flat out bad at football. Guys who arguably have the talent to get into the NFL, but don't make it, simply don't go looking for jobs in other leagues. They continually, all year long, try to get onto practice squads and then hope from there they have a chance at the NFL. Even just a single season in the NFL will vastly out pay 10 years in the CFL.

There have been nfl starters who have been a bust in cfl as well tho. Outside of top superstar talent there is not that much difference in athleticism, were talking small fractions of size and speed here. Enough that they will never play in the nfl, but by most measures still superior to mma athletes.

Again if it were so easy im sure one of them would go and dominate and become hw goat, make millions and be known as the baddest man on the planet, rather than the off chance they get picked up by a team.

If you were a 6'4" freak athlete are you going to get punched in the face for peanuts or get a 7 figure rookie contract straight out of college?

LOL at Sherdoggers still denying the exisitence of A level athletes. I am a fan of MMA above all else, but even ill admit the NFL and NBA has much better HW talent.

Noones denying their existence.

Whats being denied is the notion theyd rule mma just cos they can run fast, jump high and handle a ball good.

I wonder if it would make a difference if they made HW unlimited.

Any guy who is a natural 230-240 guy is going to cut to 205.

That doesn’t leave much of a range to find heavyweights

Honestly you can prob make more money plus have insurance and medical assistance if your big and athletic in the NFL. And that’s if you just make it on special teams or a scout team. Hell James Johnson has an undefeated MMA record and plays for the Heat.

giphy.gif

In a planet with 7 billion people how can is there only 5 "good" heavyweight fighters????

Also why are half of these guys like 40 years old...where are all the 25 year old beasts?

1. DC --- OLD
2. Stipe
3. Dos Santos -- OLD
4. Ngannou
5. Blaydes
X. Lewis ... this is where the list ends because Lewis is not a good fighter, he has no skill and no gas tank

NBA > NFL >> Boxing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever >>>> whatever HW MMA

could i answer your question?

It's a good question. After Cain, Carwin, JDS etc entered the sport in '07 or so, why haven't more big strong athletic guys done so?

My guess is they looked at Carwin and said "fuck that life, not for that much money". Or Cain's eleventeen surgeries. Or JDS's face after Cain II & III. Or Mitrione's entire career, and career earnings.

Will more money bring more big fighters? I'm honestly not sure.

lol

The NFL has 600+ players on the roster a year that are 6'3+ and 250+ pounds.

It's certainly not a myth that a large chunk of college recruits are vying to get into the NFL to make a Khalil Mack 150 million dollar contract, 'cause you sure as shit aren't making that kind of money in wrestling/MMA/whatever.

lol

MMA fans never evolve.

Theres a reason why HW boxing isnt as deep as before, but still billion times better than HW MMA.

Blame USADA.... we need Ubereem.... he was the HW GOAT!!!!!

Imagine if Ubereem was in PRIDE and we saw him fight The Last Emperor

Second of all, the whole point is that IF these athletes trained wrestling or MMA at a young age they would dominate the sport. If they are 23 when they start training its too late.

lol please.

20-21 y/o JDS trained 3 years (background + MMA) and KOd werdum. He was te new HW champ after 1-2 years.

MMAs talent pool isnt as deep as soccer or basketball or even boxing wtf.

15 y/o Tyson would beat the crap out of JDS.

Again if it were so easy im sure one of them would go and dominate and become hw goat, make millions and be known as the baddest man on the planet, rather than the off chance they get picked up by a team.

lol millions?

bro you need WWE skills for MMA.

Jones older brother is a state wrestling champ and captain of his high school wrestling team, he was more accomplished than Jones as a wrestler in high school while playing football.

Heavyweight fighters have a really hard time finding good training partners. They are usually forced to train with smaller guys that they can easily overpower. Because of that HWs can't raise their skill level as high as the lighter weight classes. Without that elite technical ability HWs can't string together enough wins to achieve a cult following because most fans only like fighters that are on several fight win streaks.
There are plenty of HW fighters to train with. Heck, train with LHW's, many LHW's today can get as big as 225 and we just saw a LHW (Ryan Bader) beat Fedor and Matt Mitrione. Jones said he was training with a SHW boxer to work on his boxing skills.

DC and Cain train at AKA and trained with LHW sized fighters, what would stop them from training with HW's as well? I think the fact of the matter is the HW division is incredibly weak.

In a planet with 7 billion people how can is there only 5 "good" heavyweight fighters????

Also why are half of these guys like 40 years old...where are all the 25 year old beasts?

1. DC --- OLD
2. Stipe
3. Dos Santos -- OLD
4. Ngannou
5. Blaydes
X. Lewis ... this is where the list ends because Lewis is not a good fighter, he has no skill and no gas tank

It’s a reasonable question but I think there’s a good answer.

First, rhe vast majority of human males are not gigantic. It’s not a coincidence that in terms of depth the divisions peak at around 155 pounds. So there’s just a much smaller pool to draw from.

Secondly, if you happen to be large and athletic you’re going to be pulled into the major sports at a young age. Did anyone bother trying to convince Dustin Poirier and Nik Lentz to play basketball and football when they were young? Lol.

I think slowly but surely we will see some big time athletes give it a shot. But it makes perfect sense that we wouldn’t have many now.

lol millions?

bro you need WWE skills for MMA.

Jones older brother is a state wrestling champ and captain of his high school wrestling team, he was more accomplished than Jones as a wrestler in high school while playing football.

Well Jon has made millions dominating mma, and I'm not talking about the Chandler Joneses of the league obviously he is making fuck tons of cash in the nfl... although we've just seen a pro bowler in the ufc and he struggled with an obese undersized nobody of a mma heavyweight...

Some guy on the practice squad should come to the ufc and dominate these 40 yo bums if it is so easy lol. He could make more money and be much more famous. Yet no one has done it... I wonder why? Perhaps they know it is harder than sherdoggers make it out to be and they would get embarrassed and beat up?

Back