So some "crossfit guys" challenged me to a strongman type of thing. Any ideas?

I'm going to try out Crossfit for a month.

It seems fun but very overpriced. Has a bit of a cult feel to it.

Anyone know what to expect? Do you have to do the beginner courses first?

It depends entirely on the people who run the affiliate, relative to your own personal goals. Unfortunately the mileage varies greatly from facility to facility.

If you're lucky, you'll have a facility with coaches that have many years of experience outside crossfit to draw on, and who are passionate about seeing others succeed in achieving their goals.

Honestly, what does this even prove? If the best case scenario, you'll win 2 of the 4 events. There is probably little to no chance for you to win event #1 and #2. There is a good chance that you may be very fatigued for event #3 and #4. Since a lot of their training is for muscle endurance/conditioning, there is a good chance that they'll still feel somewhat fresh on event #3 and #4. So they may blow you out of the water on #1 and #2, yet you won't have a good showing on #3 and #4.

Poor planning.

Just bomb the 400 meter. I mean best possible time they're going to hit is what, 1 minute? Just do a reasonably hard pace and finish in 1:45 or so... Unless you're in awful shape you should be able to recover from that in 5 minutes.

Just gotta make up 9 reps somewhere else.

As for the power clean that additional strength should play in his favor.. The fact that he's experienced with the lift I don't think it should be too favorable to the cross fit guys.

I'm going to try out Crossfit for a month.

It seems fun but very overpriced. Has a bit of a cult feel to it.

Anyone know what to expect? Do you have to do the beginner courses first?

a lot of this would probably depend on the owner/operator. (e.g., many do have a beginner's course; some may have a creepy vibe, etc)

I enjoy my xfit experience. For general fitness, it works fine for me. It's fun. I like the challenge. I like the atmosphere.

If your goals for for max strength, look elsewhere. It cannot replace sport specific training, either. E.g., you want to get in better shape for BJJ, do more bjj.

Ours doesn't have a cult-like following at all, but that's a common critique one hears about xfit "boxes", and I have no idea if it's just a parroted internet reason, or what. But be sure to check that out and be aware that it's out there.

there are some strong guys in our box, and a lot of people play other sports (and train sports specific, of course), so there's much more of a "well rounded" feel, too.

I've not experienced the "girls get strong, guys get week, everybody gets arrogant". But that also could be due to the "well rounded" people. who knows.

i followed a Ross-based GPP routine at my gym, and one thing I've liked since starting Crossfit is the Oly lifts (unavailable at my globo). But you can join other places for this experience, and it's by no means exclusive to crossfit (nor is the GPP philosophy)

basically, if you discover you like it, its pricing and class schedules are acceptable for you, go for it. If you prefer something else, by all means, there's a ton of awesome resources, particularly in the FAQ.

You could do Ross-training, if you're looking for a more targeted GPP for fighting. He has excellent WODs and training suggestions.

best of luck to you!

Honestly, what does this even prove? If the best case scenario, you'll win 2 of the 4 events. There is probably little to no chance for you to win event #1 and #2. There is a good chance that you may be very fatigued for event #3 and #4. Since a lot of their training is for muscle endurance/conditioning, there is a good chance that they'll still feel somewhat fresh on event #3 and #4. So they may blow you out of the water on #1 and #2, yet you won't have a good showing on #3 and #4.

Poor planning.

This is exactly what I was thinking. This whole competition can be considered one long conditioning event in which they have the advantage. This is not a strongman style anything.

While they might not be as strong as OP, these Crossfit guys are clearly better strategists.

The order of events is retarded...for anyone, but especially for you, OP, seeing as how you don't sound like the most well-conditioned guy around. It's gonna take you forever to recover from that quarter and unless these guys are gonna give you a lunch break before event #2, you're lifts are probably gonna suck.

So when is this happening? Its been weeks since you guys decided to challenge eachother.

Well there's a few possible explanations. I think the most likely one is that you're actually a gestalt entity, not a singular person, and therefore are full of contradictions.

I think this is probably the best explanation for pretty much anything.

I did read the thread he's challenging some crossfit guys to a challenge of lifts of different kinds. Like I said the lifter will shred the crossfitters no issues.

I ran a conditioning phase at the beginning of this year. I was still lifting, I was focused much more on conditioning. I've added about 100 lbs to my big 4 lifts. If you could somehow take me at the beginning of this year (conditioning phase) vs. me now, I'm willing to bet that me during my conditioning phase would win this challenge vs. myself now. This challenge is much more condition/muscle endurance based IMO. A person with good conditioning and decent strength will beat someone with good strength and decent conditioning.

I did read the thread he's challenging some crossfit guys to a challenge of lifts of different kinds. Like I said the lifter will shred the crossfitters no issues.

Ah yes, I mean the whole thread, not just the OP.

The contest is:
1:400M run
Best time is 100 points, substract a point for every extra second the second and third place gets. So if this guy finishes in 1 minute, he gets 100 points. If I finnish in 1 min 20 secs, I get 80.

2. Clean and press 135 for reps in 90 seconds
Each rep is 5 points

3. Squat 245 for reps in 90 seconds
Each rep is 5 points

4. Deadlift 315 for reps in 90 seconds, using bounce

each rep is 5 points

So you still think he will "shred the crossfitters" in the first two events?

On the Clean and Press 135 lbs for 90 seconds:

I've noticed some Crossfitters don't really have the barbell racked properly. Instead of resting on their scauplae area, they're holding the bar up with their arms. This really takes a lot of the leg drive out of the press because the arms function as a force dampener this way. I know they perform thrusters this way as well. In any case, it's poor form and might be a plus in OPs favor. Just make sure they'll let you clean and press the more efficient way.

On the Clean and Press 135 lbs for 90 seconds:

I've noticed some Crossfitters don't really have the barbell racked properly. Instead of resting on their scauplae area, they're holding the bar up with their arms. This really takes a lot of the leg drive out of the press because the arms function as a force dampener this way. I know they perform thrusters this way as well. In any case, it's poor form and might be a plus in OPs favor. Just make sure they'll let you clean and press the more efficient way.

exactly the form issues we were working on last night!! emphasis on the leg drive and stability (no inwards-droop of the knee, for instance). (cept don't you mean collar-bones/clavicle?)

my question, when you say, "I know they perform thrusters this way as well" - how do you know this? It certainly isn't how it was introduced to me (in xfit)

TS: good luck, and we're all cheering for you!! rock their world. and then beat them with a copy of SS afterwards!

(how about doing the Gym Jones Spartan 300 - would that be a more level field for you?)

good luck!

Okay but as I stated I still believe that as I stated he will shred on the lifts. The run he may lose some points but he will surely make up for it on the lifts. I guarentee he'll catch up on the squat and deadlift with that weight. The c & p he'll still do well but 135 isn't too much weight so it'll be a pivot point for the competition.

Sort of like the guy you would find in Starbucks but in a good shape

what the fuck does this mean?

you look for guys in starbucks?

Back