So some "crossfit guys" challenged me to a strongman type of thing. Any ideas?

I've come to thinking that this thread is a bit nasty - it's not "how should I train for this" but "how should I design the contest so that i will probably win". I think that's a bit... a bit sissy, actually. It's been months, so TS has had ample opportunity to run hills and try to beat these guys at their own game.

So what happened, TS?

I guess the X-fit paleo diet boys beat the pizza eater?

I've come to thinking that this thread is a bit nasty - it's not "how should I train for this" but "how should I design the contest so that i will probably win". I think that's a bit... a bit sissy, actually. It's been months, so TS has had ample opportunity to run hills and try to beat these guys at their own game.

So what happened, TS?

It seems to me that we have another case of lacking in understanding of what crossfit is now.

One of the things you hear of often now is there is a huge strength bias in Crossfit circles. Look at Rob Orlando, Graham Holmburg, Jason Khalipa, Josh Everett...guys like that. There are some seriously strong guys in the crossfit community.

Well considering that the OP seems to post every day, but not here in this thread. I am going to guess that he either lost the competition, or it didn't happen yet.

I know its too late but a muscle up would be really good for making all but the best crossfit guys look bad. There are a lot of kids who work out to look pretty, muscle ups use very little bodybuilder muscle type exercises so it might be an ideal exercise. Its bodyweight, low rep competition. Thats advocated by crossfit.

challenge them to a pizza eating contest

challenge them to a pizza eating contest

Poundstone approves.

poundstoneapproves.jpg

The guy actually replied to my email yesterday (after not replying forerver but oh well).

He wants to run 400 meters. Best time is 100 points, substract a point for every extra second the second and third place gets. So if this guy finishes in 1 minute, he gets 100 points. If I finnish in 1 min 20 secs, I get 80.
I haven't run in forever but oh well, who gives a fuck. I said ok.

Then after a 5 min break the Clean and presses with 135 for reps in 90 seconds.
Each rep is 5 points.

After a bit of a break, some warm ups and we squat. He wanted as many squats as possible with 185 in 5 mins. I said fuck you it will be with 245 in 90 seconds since I accepted his fucking 400 meter run. He said ok that was fine. So I'll smoke both of them there. I'll call them out on the spot if I see a squat done a micrometer above parallel
Again, each rep is 5 points

Then Deadlifts. He wanted 225 for x amount of reps in 5 mins. I told him no, because he said a few weeks ago a strongman kind of thing so again, I told him accepted the crossfit 400 meter run and that this is about strength. Not powerlifting but strength. After all that was the discussion about. I never claimed to be a conditioning guy. So he agreed to 315 for reps under 90 seconds. I told him to choose between no wraps and bouncing or wraps and no bouncing. He chose no wraps and bouncing. Im planning to just not bounce the weight even if Im allowed to, to make a statement.
Each rep is 5 points.

We still don't know if we'll do it at a college or at my friend's house where we have weights. If we do it there since its a quiet area we'll replace the track for running on the street, for more or less 400 meters.

I think it is fairly even. I will get smoked in the run and they have an edge with the cleans. But I will murder them in the squat because I know that crossfit people don't squat enough. And then depending on what I see from them in the deadlift I will choose to bounce the weight or not. Not bouncng I can hit over 15 reps. With the bounce I can get close to 25. And I know for a fact they can't get near that.

You going to get smoked in that 400 meter. It's going to be embarassing.

It's too late now but 100 meter would be much better.

They're pretty much toast for squat and deadlift. I predict no more than 5 reps for each.

The guy actually replied to my email yesterday (after not replying forerver but oh well).

He wants to run 400 meters. Best time is 100 points, substract a point for every extra second the second and third place gets. So if this guy finishes in 1 minute, he gets 100 points. If I finnish in 1 min 20 secs, I get 80.
I haven't run in forever but oh well, who gives a fuck. I said ok.

Then after a 5 min break the Clean and presses with 135 for reps in 90 seconds.
Each rep is 5 points.

After a bit of a break, some warm ups and we squat. He wanted as many squats as possible with 185 in 5 mins. I said fuck you it will be with 245 in 90 seconds since I accepted his fucking 400 meter run. He said ok that was fine. So I'll smoke both of them there. I'll call them out on the spot if I see a squat done a micrometer above parallel
Again, each rep is 5 points

Then Deadlifts. He wanted 225 for x amount of reps in 5 mins. I told him no, because he said a few weeks ago a strongman kind of thing so again, I told him accepted the crossfit 400 meter run and that this is about strength. Not powerlifting but strength. After all that was the discussion about. I never claimed to be a conditioning guy. So he agreed to 315 for reps under 90 seconds. I told him to choose between no wraps and bouncing or wraps and no bouncing. He chose no wraps and bouncing. Im planning to just not bounce the weight even if Im allowed to, to make a statement.
Each rep is 5 points.

We still don't know if we'll do it at a college or at my friend's house where we have weights. If we do it there since its a quiet area we'll replace the track for running on the street, for more or less 400 meters.

I think it is fairly even. I will get smoked in the run and they have an edge with the cleans. But I will murder them in the squat because I know that crossfit people don't squat enough. And then depending on what I see from them in the deadlift I will choose to bounce the weight or not. Not bouncng I can hit over 15 reps. With the bounce I can get close to 25. And I know for a fact they can't get near that.

Dont underestimate the fact that apparently the rest times between the "events" will be short apparently , and that this 400 meters with short resting periods will probably affect your further perfomances
You should have for the 400meters to be the last event ...

The event order is backwards. Why in the world would you guys arrange an event where you are doing your heaviest lifting last when you are fatigued? There is no winner here...

I hope the points u lose in the 400m won't fuck u up even if u win the other events.

The sweeping statements in this thread alone make it worth reading!

Honestly, what does this even prove? If the best case scenario, you'll win 2 of the 4 events. There is probably little to no chance for you to win event #1 and #2. There is a good chance that you may be very fatigued for event #3 and #4. Since a lot of their training is for muscle endurance/conditioning, there is a good chance that they'll still feel somewhat fresh on event #3 and #4. So they may blow you out of the water on #1 and #2, yet you won't have a good showing on #3 and #4.

Poor planning.

I'm going to try out Crossfit for a month.

It seems fun but very overpriced. Has a bit of a cult feel to it.

Anyone know what to expect? Do you have to do the beginner courses first?

Hot chicks, bad form, a clueless instructor, and elite weaklings.

Yeah, expect it to be fun but overpriced with a cult feel to it.

Back