So some "crossfit guys" challenged me to a strongman type of thing. Any ideas?

Gonna need to see pics of the girls before I give any advice.

I think you're in trouble with the 135 clean and press. Your fat pizza eating ass is going to be sucking wind. Try to embarrass them into increasing the weight for all the lifts, so you have a chance.

It's a all too rarely known fact that pizza is actually super nutritous and awesome for you. It's only people who insist on being underfed, avoiding grains, are ignorant, and/or dislike italians that have an issue with pizza.

i dislike italians, but love pizza. How do you explain that if you are so smart?

i dislike italians, but love pizza. How do you explain that if you are so smart?

Well there's a few possible explanations. I think the most likely one is that you're actually a gestalt entity, not a singular person, and therefore are full of contradictions.

Well there's a few possible explanations. I think the most likely one is that you're actually a gestalt entity, not a singular person, and therefore are full of contradictions.

you are good.

In my country pizza is almost exclusively made by people of middle eastern origin. Therefore i can eat pizza in spite of my almost comical dislike for italians.

i don't know what you re gonna end up doing but you should tape that motherfucker.

Ramp the weights up good, and videotape this sumbitch. You can't lose this one, because I've got a mancrush on you for the "I'll show up eating a pizza or burger"-comment.

Challenge them to this:

Granted that you can do this workout yourself.
holy fuck, I'd say I wouldn't have believed it but many officers in the Marines are giants and do crossfit.

IMO going 350 dl you'd smoke them but thats not really ethical. because its not middle of the road. 280 you could do ethically higher then they want, lower than what you want.

one of oblivians things would be good IMO. 50 burpees, but only if you would win.

just saying to make the point you have to meet them in the middle.

Here's I challenge work out I've done myself:

100 yard overhead Olympic bar carry, 20 overhead squats. try 135 lbs
200 yard farmer walk with 1.5 pood kettle bells each hand, 20 clean and press, one arm at a time. You have to hold the other weight while clean and pressing the primary.
400 yard sand bag jog, 20 clean to shoulders,squat. if you have a 100 lb bag that's good.

I should say when I did this work out I used lighter weight on the overhead as I was learning the fat bar. i also only had a 75 lb sand bag which felt a little light.

Here's I challenge work out I've done myself:

100 yard overhead Olympic bar carry, 20 overhead squats. try 135 lbs
200 yard farmer walk with 1.5 pood kettle bells each hand, 20 clean and press, one arm at a time. You have to hold the other weight while clean and pressing the primary.
400 yard sand bag jog, 20 clean to shoulders,squat. if you have a 100 lb bag that's good.

Did you actually read what the op posted?

Did you actually read what the op posted?

um yeah. he did mention something about a strongman challenge and something about farmer's walk. So thinking about some of the strongman comps I've watched,seeing the multiple items they carry, I thought this might be kind of interesting.

What brilliant suggestion did you have?

um yeah. he did mention something about a strongman challenge and something about farmer's walk. So thinking about some of the strongman comps I've watched,seeing the multiple items they carry, I thought this might be kind of interesting.

What brilliant suggestion did you have?

That's nowhere near a strongman competition suggestion.

I don't have any brilliant suggestions, but since he's "competing" with crossfit guys, who will quite surely be better conditioned in running etc., I don't really see it good for him to try outrunning crossfitters at 400yards, no matter how heavy sand bag on his back.

So cut down the walking distances and up the weights.

So far it's one of the few suggestions in the six pages.

Man, This subforum is full of assholes. Fuck if you'd you consider anything other than some form of max Oly lift. God forbid.

Perhaps I should have said max 'Turkish get up' to 'two handed anyhow'? Both are classic Strongman lifts.

Man, This subforum is full of assholes. Fuck if you'd you consider anything other than some form of max Oly lift. God forbid.

Perhaps I should have said max 'Turkish get up' to 'two handed anyhow'? Both are classic Strongman lifts.

Look you posted a workout that they would want to do to win. Overhead squats, 200 yard farmer walks with kettlebells, 400 yard sand bag jog. I'll post a great suggestion like this too!

40mile run with a 5lb backpack. Cut down the distance and up the weights to make it more suitable for you op!

Ok, seriously, I'm not sure what your point really is op. Why would you want to challenge them to something that they don't actually do? Beat them in a workout they do themselves, prove them that there are better ways to excel in crossfit competition, then training at their club (not that I would think this, I really have no clue about crossfit and have no intention to).

If you just want to beat them in a competition you will both agree to, then see what works. Obviously the closer to a power lifting meet it will be, the better for you. But this will only be a test of who tricks the other more - you will only win if they are over confident/whatever and agree with a competition that you will have the advantage in, or if they don't even know you have the advantage there.

Doesn't really matter what you do I would say, but I would suggest adding rest intervals if you can (farmer walks x yards, rest 20 seconds, and farmer walks x yards again), it will help you out more than it will them, and they will quite possibly agree with them. But that's just an example of what I think could be a helpful "trick". Otherwise I don't really think there's much you can do, just try to make it as close to a powerlifting meet or whatever you are good at, while they aren't. Of course, focus more on conditioning and blabla.

Haha, you do seem to attract pretty rude replies. Not sure why... I think you bring a lot of experience. Maybe the problem is that your posts are a genuine attempt to help and that offends some people.

I was at my friend's house 3 days ago and he had a lot of people over. So there were these two chicks, both kind of hot and their two friends. Kind of nerdy looking. Sort of like the guy you would find in Starbucks but in a good shape, both of them. They were gonna leave soon and they were talking about lifting and fitness in general.
As I approach the group my friend's girlfriend says "oh look he trains too".

Now, I decided to lose some weight because I was over 200 lbs a couple of weeks ago and I was feeling too bad, Im just 5'8'' and plenty of that was fat. Now I think I may be about 200 but I dont wanna see until a couple of months and trying to be 185-189 by the end of the year, in 4 months. Taking it all easy to not lose strength. Anyway, these two give a suspicious look, probably thinking I don't work too hard and all, plus Im not muscular looking anyway. So I say "well yeah but I think I don't do as much conditining as these guys, I mean look at you guys, ripped as hell". You know, trying to be nice to people I don't know.
So I ask them what kind of training do they do and they tell me Crossfit. They go to one of the crossfit places in Miami, I forgot which one. I say that's cool I know about it but it is not for me. Not the type of stuff I like to do. Not referring to the lifts but their approach. Plus I suck at nutrition. I get enough protein but lately I've been eating pizza and ice cream before going to sleep so you figure lol

So we talk a bit and I mention that I've read their challenges and that I think I can be ok at some and maybe beat some of their guys at the ones that have more lifting involved. And their attitude changed completely. "Absolutely not", they have more endurance bla bla plus I got kind of pissed when he told me I can't achieve my goals eating pizza. Wtf, I've achieved many goals eating pizza.
So they invite me to their place but Im not that interested. They tell me if I would like to compete against one them in something that may not be crossfit but not absolute strength either so I mention him that Im planning on buying a strongman log. I have a rack, a bar, lots of weights...so maybe we could do some lifting. They say cool.
So we talk briefly later, one gave me his email and we'll see from here.
They mention a clean and press challenge and maybe some deadlifts with "250 or so". I don't know what my max is but a month ago I pulled 405x8 leaving the weight on the floor and taking it down slowly or doing 415x5 after cleans and OHPs with no drama so I think it is over 500 by now, but I didn't tell them that. Im also planning on challenging him to a farmers walk with 100-130 or so.

Based on the conversation they were having before I approached them one mentioned he was more or less dead after the 10th rep at clean and press (they do that a lot, well the press is a push press) with 135. It seems they can't pull 400 yet (Since one mentioned a very hard 365x2, assuming that they have a similar level, since both are BFFs or something) and the squat can't be that good since they don't squat much.

I personally have nothing against crossfit and I think they do well to the industry of fitness. They take average girls and make them hot, and get people away from the world of bicep curls and cable tricep kickbacks but man some of these people do act geeky as some say. He told me that he'll show me that crossfit can produce guys with more endurance AND stronger.
Both over 6 foot tall and they said they are 190 and 195 something lbs, both are fit.
They were already inviting the chicks to see them do a "crossfit/strongman" challenge.

So I think we'll meet in a couple of weeks and I'll show up eating a pizza or a burger.

I wanna challenge them to something like this.

-.Clean and Press with 135.
Max amount of reps under 2 mins

-. Max amount of squats with 225 under 90 secs. Must be below parallel. They told me these guys sometimes don't hit parallel so since I do full, then let's see.
This way I can hit 24 or 25.

-Deadlift. Fuck the "250 or so". I wanna do it with 350 and hit over 12 reps, tired and all. No wraps just chalk. I wanna see their faces when I say "no bouncing".

-Some farmer walk
They've never done them neither have I so we'll see.

Any other ideas?

So did you lose?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawn_bogart
Back