So some "crossfit guys" challenged me to a strongman type of thing. Any ideas?

AR6

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was at my friend's house 3 days ago and he had a lot of people over. So there were these two chicks, both kind of hot and their two friends. Kind of nerdy looking. Sort of like the guy you would find in Starbucks but in a good shape, both of them. They were gonna leave soon and they were talking about lifting and fitness in general.
As I approach the group my friend's girlfriend says "oh look he trains too".

Now, I decided to lose some weight because I was over 200 lbs a couple of weeks ago and I was feeling too bad, Im just 5'8'' and plenty of that was fat. Now I think I may be about 200 but I dont wanna see until a couple of months and trying to be 185-189 by the end of the year, in 4 months. Taking it all easy to not lose strength. Anyway, these two give a suspicious look, probably thinking I don't work too hard and all, plus Im not muscular looking anyway. So I say "well yeah but I think I don't do as much conditining as these guys, I mean look at you guys, ripped as hell". You know, trying to be nice to people I don't know.
So I ask them what kind of training do they do and they tell me Crossfit. They go to one of the crossfit places in Miami, I forgot which one. I say that's cool I know about it but it is not for me. Not the type of stuff I like to do. Not referring to the lifts but their approach. Plus I suck at nutrition. I get enough protein but lately I've been eating pizza and ice cream before going to sleep so you figure lol

So we talk a bit and I mention that I've read their challenges and that I think I can be ok at some and maybe beat some of their guys at the ones that have more lifting involved. And their attitude changed completely. "Absolutely not", they have more endurance bla bla plus I got kind of pissed when he told me I can't achieve my goals eating pizza. Wtf, I've achieved many goals eating pizza.
So they invite me to their place but Im not that interested. They tell me if I would like to compete against one them in something that may not be crossfit but not absolute strength either so I mention him that Im planning on buying a strongman log. I have a rack, a bar, lots of weights...so maybe we could do some lifting. They say cool.
So we talk briefly later, one gave me his email and we'll see from here.
They mention a clean and press challenge and maybe some deadlifts with "250 or so". I don't know what my max is but a month ago I pulled 405x8 leaving the weight on the floor and taking it down slowly or doing 415x5 after cleans and OHPs with no drama so I think it is over 500 by now, but I didn't tell them that. Im also planning on challenging him to a farmers walk with 100-130 or so.

Based on the conversation they were having before I approached them one mentioned he was more or less dead after the 10th rep at clean and press (they do that a lot, well the press is a push press) with 135. It seems they can't pull 400 yet (Since one mentioned a very hard 365x2, assuming that they have a similar level, since both are BFFs or something) and the squat can't be that good since they don't squat much.

I personally have nothing against crossfit and I think they do well to the industry of fitness. They take average girls and make them hot, and get people away from the world of bicep curls and cable tricep kickbacks but man some of these people do act geeky as some say. He told me that he'll show me that crossfit can produce guys with more endurance AND stronger.
Both over 6 foot tall and they said they are 190 and 195 something lbs, both are fit.
They were already inviting the chicks to see them do a "crossfit/strongman" challenge.

So I think we'll meet in a couple of weeks and I'll show up eating a pizza or a burger.

I wanna challenge them to something like this.

-.Clean and Press with 135.
Max amount of reps under 2 mins

-. Max amount of squats with 225 under 90 secs. Must be below parallel. They told me these guys sometimes don't hit parallel so since I do full, then let's see.
This way I can hit 24 or 25.

-Deadlift. Fuck the "250 or so". I wanna do it with 350 and hit over 12 reps, tired and all. No wraps just chalk. I wanna see their faces when I say "no bouncing".

-Some farmer walk
They've never done them neither have I so we'll see.

Any other ideas?

Ha ha ha ha.....Make the squat heavier...if you can do it. Just lift as much as many times as you can.

I think they will destroy you in the 135 C&P unless you really start training it.

To make the bodyweight fair, or at least to put it in their terms, you could say "1.5 times bodyweight for reps" or something like that. Even with bouncing on the DL it won't help them much if they're not used to pulling that much. Otherwise, you'll have to restart every rep from standing basically to make it judgeable.

Clean and press for a strongman event is never 135 unless it's for chicks.

Make it 200lbs.

Make the DL 375lbs or more.

Make the farmer's 150 or more, possibly even 200.

Sounds like they're gonna win.

Just make the lifting as heavy as you can really, and avoid other shit like kipping pullups or whatever they excel at.

I really hope you win because pizza keeps me going.

What's up with this? They don't have dueling where you come from or something?

ITS TIME TO DUEL!!

yugiohgroup.gif

Video tape the whole thing. Post it here.

Sounds like you have it won.

The thing is these guys don't know how much I lift. My friend's girl just told them I lift heavy so they probably think Im like an average gym rat. And Im still under the level of the truly strong guys but Im better than the average gym rat. I can power clean 215, full clean 235, puss press 215x3, push jerk from the rack 255 so I think Im gonna tell them to make the clean and press w/ 185.
So in a way they are supposing that not being in crossfit must mean I'm not good unless Im an underground garage powerlifter or a member of the oly lifting national team.
Im sure they don't squat much because I know crossfitters don't do it as often as they should so maybe I'll try to make the weight a 275 so I can hit some easy 11 or 12 reps and they get buried at the 3rd or start 1/2 squatting by then lol
And I'll scare them with the deadlift. Ive been looking at the crossfit websites 15 mins ago and I'm bored just from reading 40 reps of clean and press w 95, 400 meter run and all that shit.

Crossfit is like mostly conditioning and Powerlifting is absolute force so I think it is fair to do things that will hypothetically be in the 8-15 rep range.

Agree the challenges ASAP if the meet is in a couple weeks, so if its anything you're not used to you can get in some practice.

I crossfit and I agree some people have taken crossfit to the extreme. Crossfit is not the only way to strength, but some douche bags make it seem as if you don't crossfit you don't really train.

I strongly disagree. To win this don't allow kipping pull-ups if you are going to allow dead hang pull-ups. Do heavy weights, especially on the cleans. My crossfit gym emphasizes squats, deadlifts and cleans. As you said though it's more met con than pure powerlifting strength.

Just bang their girlfriends instead. That's what a true alpha would do.

stay away from the bodyweight exerices, they try to do pullups make sure you do weighted ones

It's a all too rarely known fact that pizza is actually super nutritous and awesome for you. It's only people who insist on being underfed, avoiding grains, are ignorant, and/or dislike italians that have an issue with pizza.

What the fuck is crossfit?

First off, read the FAQ's.

Second off, google is your friend.

Third off, ...noob.

(just felt like without the third point this post would be incomplete)

Back