So since Hendricks is fighting now...

this. I don't know why people are like "ahh that's a shame. he deserved a title shot" if he can't beat ellenberger, what business does he have fighting the champ?

just like if pettis couldn't get by GUIDA, then he had no business even getting the punchers chance of wearing the ufc belt

exactly right

I think the biggest thing is that Dana has to stop promising all of these title fights. How about this: until you're actually signing the fight, don't say that guys are gonna get a shot. Too many "title fight eliminators" have turned out not to be.

Ultimately, that's true. The shitty part for Hendricks is that he earned a chance to compete in a title fight, which is a big deal for these guys financially, even if they lose.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that I'm a Hendricks fan, but I'll be pulling for him because I really want to see him get his shot.

Yes, I agree with what you said as far as the financial implications of a title fight, but going along those lines then, the title holder still should have the most say as to who he wants to fight, so Hendricks needs to make a more compelling argument and a win over Ellenberger would definitely achieve that.

If he wants to risk it, it's on him. If you feel you're truly the best fighter in the world at your weight, you'll fight anyone at your weight, even if it means jeopardizing a title shot.

this. I don't know why people are like "ahh that's a shame. he deserved a title shot" if he can't beat ellenberger, what business does he have fighting the champ?

just like if pettis couldn't get by GUIDA, then he had no business even getting the punchers chance of wearing the ufc belt

amen.

just saying it must have been the biggest blue balls ever to the guy

I don't give "props" to fighters for taking fights. People giving him praise for doing his job are contributing to the biggest problem in the sport.

The fact of the matter is that Hendricks has been whiny and petulant about what he thinks he deserves. If he wants to fight for the belt, he'll have to wait his turn like everybody else.

Its not about the title. Its about money. A contender can make way more losing to gsp than beating another contender. Plus there's the risk of injury and being skipped. Just ask rashad.

Its not about the title. Its about money. A contender can make way more losing to gsp than beating another contender. Plus there's the risk of injury and being skipped. Just ask rashad.

I think the problem is 1) with Dana giving too many promises out and then not being able to back them up and 2) with the lack of transparency in Joe Silva's matchmaking process. But at the end of the day, that's how the UFC works-- you do your best and hope they call on you to fight for the title.

Hendricks has accepted the fact that he had to kill everyone in his way to get to GSP. He had more reason to be mad than Weidman.

If he wants to risk it, it's on him. If you feel you're truly the best fighter in the world at your weight, you'll fight anyone at your weight, even if it means jeopardizing a title shot.

This is true, and it's good he's going to stay relevant, but it also seems like holding Hendricks to a standard that clearly hasn't been operative far as deciding title shots recently.

I truly like the idea of the champ being the best in the world, capable of beating anyone.

If hendricks believes he can beat anyone at his weight then I don't see a downside to this fight. Keep smashing guys and eventually they wont be able to keep the title from you.

I'm somewhat excited to see GSP/Diaz but I would have preferred to see Hendricks get the shot. He controls his destiny here though. another win and the only way he doesn't get it is if GSP moves up to fight Silva and we all know that isn't likely to happen.

Thank God he's taking a fight. I'm so sick of every contender sitting out. Champs already sit out way to often and with every other contender sitting out to it just prevents a shit ton of interesting fights.

Back