So rousey will fight Holly but dont want to fight Cyborg

Cyborg can make 135, what's the issue?

Exactly, I don't get it either. I guess once Ronda has truly cleared the division (although I do see Holly as a very real contender btw) she could go off and accept some nice challenge matches. Cyborg at 140 or 145. Holly at high altitude. Pure boxing match with Ann Wolfe to shut her up. And this one's for me: Mudwrestle Miesha!

Nonsense.. why is Ronda obliged to do anything for Cyborg. The division is 135, if Cyborg can make that weight, she can have the fight.. What Ronda is willing to do for people she actually likes is her own business

The way people take these statements that Ronda (and other fighters) make in the press and ascribe such importance to them is a little bizarre. Ronda doesn't make fights. She's asked questions by reporters about whether she would do this, or could do that and she answers them - but it doesn't really mean much. It's like if Novac Djokavic said in interviews he'd be willing to play best of seven sets at the US Open final instead of best of 5. It might be interesting to learn Novak's thoughts of the matter, but it's ultimately irrelevant because he doesn't get to decide.

The fact of the matter is that Cris Cyborg has now signed a UFC contract that stipulates exactly what she has to do in order to trigger an offer of a fight with Ronda Rousey in the UFC. When she does that, she will be offered the fight. If and when Cyborg lives up to the contract that she signed, Ronda Rousey would be offered the fight by the UFC and would have to either refuse or accept. If Ronda Rousey refuses an offer from the UFC for a fight against Cris Cyborg, we will know about it.

Last edited:
Yes, and she did exactly that. Took the 135 belt then signed to fight Cyborg at 145. That was after 4 fights. You said it was after 2 fights. You were 100% wrong about everything and linked a source that backed up my post. Thanks.

Signed to fight her when she was stripped & serving a one year suspension? LOL, wut?

Difference is she is not Royce Gracie and this is not 2006 any more. Even Fedor did not get 1 off fight offers. Cyborg can make 135, what's the issue?

The issue with Fedor Emelianenko was co-promoting, which obviously isn't an issue with Cyborg.

And we know she can't make 135. She's never made it and has already struggled making 145 in the past. Rousey, her fans & uncle Fester will continue hiding behind the 135 limit, knowing full well it'll never happen.

I agree with you that the fight should take place at 140. I think you are wrong about why the UFC won't allow it.

They aren't protecting Ronda. They have put Ronda up against every decent bantamweight they can get their hands on. Not too long ago some fans were clamoring to see Holly Holm signed, because they supposed she would KO Ronda. They claimed tough negotiations were evidence of the UFC protecting Ronda. They were wrong. The UFC has also aggressively sought to sign Cyborg for years now for the express purpose of fighting Ronda. They want this fight, and they have since they brought WMMA into the UFC.

So then why do they insist on the fight being at 135? They are protecting bantamweight. What they can't afford is to have their dominant champ defeated and not replaced by another dominant champ. If Cyborg beats Rousey and reigns over 135, the UFC can live with that. It sets up some great title fights with Tate, Zingano, Kaufmann, Holm, and of course the rematch with Ronda. If Cyborg beats Rousey and then returns to the FW wasteland, the UFC loses the mystique of an unbeatable champ and gets nothing for it.

I don't know why so many Sherdoggers have such a hard time wrapping their heads around this. It's pretty simple.

So long as Ronda keeps beating everyone up in her division, she'll have 1 of 2 choices, and that's to follow through with her desire to retire, or will be forced / pressured to take a "super fight" with Cyborg at a catch weight. Hence I said pressure or forced because I do not believe she has any interest at all in fighting cyborg.

Although the disadvantage to the UFC in making such a fight considering there has not been any public mention that they are looking to invest in a 145 division anytime soon, will just end up being a fight truly made for the fans or a last effort at a money grab then a strategical move on behalf of the UFC for the long term stability of WMMA. Not much to gain unless again Cyborg is secretly making serious attempts to make 135.

We have Holms who is fighting next, and if Ronda walks through her, then all that is left is a tate 3 rematch....From there, its all downhill, as her popularity and public interest will begin to decline as detractors will focus more on her fighting a weak division or question her legitimacy of her dominance in WMMA. The more mainstream Ronda has become these type of retractions have already been vocalized by other in the media. I would suspect it will continue to manifest the closer Ronda gets to having no more sellable fights.

The media and fans are getting louder and louder as time passes regarding Cyborg and UFC claims of Ronda's dominance due to their marketing approach of selling Ronda to current and future viewership as the GOAT of WMMA.

Sooner or later I do believe one has to face the music.

And we know she can't make 135. She's never made it and has already struggled making 145 in the past. Rousey, her fans & uncle Fester will continue hiding behind the 135 limit, knowing full well it'll never happen.

Uh, no we don't. We know that she lifts weights to the point of absurdity. If she actually stuck to mainly MMA training, rather than pumping iron, there is zero reason to believe she would not be able to make 135. Other than by Ronda haters that is, who'll jump at any "opportunity" to imagine why Cyborg can't possibly lose another 5 lbs from the 140 lbs catchweight shite she's been talking about.

Dana and the Fertittas are not idiots. They know that if they let Rousey fights at 140lb catch weight vs. Cyborg, she would get smashed, and they would lose their cash cow.

Think about it, if the Fertittas believe that Rousey can beat Cyborg, this fight would have happened a long time ago to further promote Rousey.

Actually no, they've been consistent about not letting anyone fight above their highest weight division.

Lesnar wanted to fight at super heavyweight instead of cutting 40+ pounds to make 265. He wanted to fight at catch rather than lose that much.

The Fertittas, who clearly wanted Lesnar (by far the biggest PPV draw in MMA history, twice what Rousey is now) forced him to cut to 265 because they didn't want people fighting above their heaviest division, and weren't willing to create a new division for one fighter, even a Brock Lesnar.

So if they weren't willing to create a SHW division for Brock - a much, much bigger draw than Cyborg, and a division with depth than WMMA 145 would be (Hunt, Brock, Tim Syliva all have to cut far more to make 265 than Cyborg does to make 135, even percentage wise), why in the world does anyone think they're going to make an exception for Rousey-Cyborg, which'll make half the PPV that Lesnar made?

People are living in a dream world, Cyborg isn't Brock, and yet they think the UFC will make an exception for her that they didn't make for Brock. Seriously, that's some extremely heavy wishful thinking going on.

This is bigger to the UFC than any one fighter, Lesnar or Rousey or Cyborg. They don't allow even their top draws to change the rules. Another example is their refusing to change their PED testing for GSP, who at the time was their biggest draw. Organizations don't change rules for any single fighter, no matter how big a draw.

The way to make this happen would be for Rousey to do what de la Hoya and Mayweather did, and start her own organization - and that's much harder to do in MMA than in boxing. Otherwise she (like Brock and GSP before her) have to follow the rules. People don't realize how little power individual fighters, even stars, have. Think of Couture's battle with them as well - again their biggest star at the time.

http://mmajunkie.com/2011/12/strike...eeds-to-happen-but-wants-135-pound-belt-first

Cyborg is signed with the UFC, and they'll happily make one off catchweight fights when it suits them (Hughes-Gracie.) Difference is, Cyborg isn't a decrepit old fart with zero chance of winning.

lol no they absolutely don't make one off fights with people who cant compete for them after the one fight. Difference with hughes/gracie is both of them had a weight class in the ufc to fight in after that one fight. Lesner wanted to fight at SHW ufc made him cut to 265 as well. They will never have a fight above the heaviest weight class they current have. its not rocket science and many people explained it many times over in this thread. do some reading and stop being so retarded

Signed to fight her when she was stripped & serving a one year suspension? LOL, wut?

The issue with Fedor Emelianenko was co-promoting, which obviously isn't an issue with Cyborg.

Basic business man, ufc does not have a weight limit above 135, sop to promote a fight above that for cyborg for just one fight doesn't make any sense what so ever. They would have to spend a shit ton of money on promoting an athlete and building up her name with no possibility of any future gains in return. Literally driving her stock value up and then sending her to a different org to compete in. makes no sense

they either have to add a shallow 145 division first for her to have a home in, or she cuts the bullshit and makes 135, or just moves on in life fighting for invicta at 145 against no bodies. It is what it is and I cant grasp how simple minded people like yourself don't understand something so basic that keeps getting explained to you over and over again. It literally has nothing to do with it being RR or anyone else, its simple business

Well since Cybro signed a contract with the UFC stipulating that she will make 135lbs means either she actually can, or she will be sued by the UFC for breach of contract.

She says because Cyborg is too big or weighs too much or pees standing up I dunno..........maybe Holly is standing on a hill because she looks bigger than Cyborg to me. Wouldnt it be nice if rousey had the guts and fought Cyborg a long time ago when she was in the same weight class as her. Then we wouldnt have to hear constantly how great rousey because she woulda got ninja smashed by the Borg ooooooooo.
Thats my new term ninja smashed Im gonna patent it like rousey is trying to patent do nothing bitch.

There's these things called scales....

Holly weighs in for the division that's actually in the UFC.

C'mon Cyborg, you can do it.

attachment.php

Cyborg has hit 135 before

Just needs to lose the juice weight.

Too bad she put on another 15 pounds of muscle recently instead of getting to 135 like she needs to do to make the fight happen.

I don't even care if she fights at 135 first, lets just see her step on the scale and make the weight.

That 175 scale pic is very telling of cyborgs intent. Ronda doesn't "need" this fight. She is a multimillionaire superstar at this point. Cyborg has turned to riding Ronda's fame to get attention.

Ball has been in cyborgs court for years now. Her move.

Could you please argue for why you think Cyborg is the best?
because her record is not better than Rondas. I hope you know that.

Oh the better record. I don't know if wmma lovers are blind but its pretty clear cyborg and Ronda are on a whole other level than the other girls. I still can't believe wmma is in the ufc and people are genuinely impressed with fighters like mcmann,Tate,Davis like they are elite opposition. Same for cyborg. The only good opponent is each other.

I say she was always the best, because she was always no doubt about it the no 1 women In mma before rousey fought... And she hasn't lost yet.
If Ronda wanted to fight the best she wouldn't have dropped to 135. Why do that when clearly no other woman in the sport is nearly as good as cyborg.
It's a shame this fight won't happen.

Maybe if Cyborg was under contract and in her division this would be a story.

Back