So, now that I got the brown belt...

Great job man!!! I'm sure it was well deserved.

Thanks to everyone that has posted here.
A lot of the techniques I had trouble with in the past, I found answers on this forum to them. I owe The Grappling forum a lot in that manner.

hey guardpasser. congrats. it is great to see you make it this far.

remember that if you are ever in Oklahoma City again you are welcome to train with us at Lovato's.

hey guardpasser. congrats. it is great to see you make it this far.

remember that if you are ever in Oklahoma City again you are welcome to train with us at Lovato's.

As long as I don't put someone to sleep again. Right.
I will not ever forget that. And from a guillotine. I thought everyone was thinking I did it on purpose. I enjoyed training there, i hope to see you guys again sometime.

From one guard passer to another, congratulations! Keep up the good work!

It's taken me 12 years to get there, I hope you guys do it a lot sooner.
Some advise;
1. videos are good to watch when you cant train or you are injured.
2. stick to the basics for a long time, get them down perfect.
3. train to "flow" it teaches your body how to transition better. - go at 50%
4. Ask questions to higher belts, they usually are glad to help.
5. Stretch - it helps a lot, flexibility makes for a great guard game, and better ability to transition.
6. Don't give up or get down on yourself when you do not do well, slumps happen and times when you do not progress happen also. just get through it.
7. Learn the techniques as if you are going to start teaching them - be very detail oriented.

Huge congrats Guardpasser. I started teaching this year and it really helps me iron out the details of the techniques. Also, I've been training pretty hard just because I don't want to get tapped by anyone in front of my students!

It's taken me 12 years to get there, I hope you guys do it a lot sooner.
Some advise;
2. stick to the basics for a long time, get them down perfect.
3. train to "flow" it teaches your body how to transition better. - go at 50%
4. Ask questions to higher belts, they usually are glad to help.
5. Stretch - it helps a lot, flexibility makes for a great guard game, and better ability to transition.
6. Don't give up or get down on yourself when you do not do well, slumps happen and times when you do not progress happen also. just get through it.
7. Learn the techniques as if you are going to start teaching them - be very detail oriented.

Great advice man!!!

Thanks to Pat Hardy whom got me started in texas in the mid 90's., Luis Sucuri - whom got me through the early 2000's, Phil cardela whom tightened my submissions, and rafael Ellwanger for beleiving in me.
I have trained in a lot of places for a lot of years, I hope I never have to stop.
btw - I still teach for free.

Wow 12 years. That's dedication man. Congrats again!

I have to train hard and stay in shape, juggle two young kids, work 10 hours a day.
Great times.
I got the brown belt last week, It didnt know it was going to happen, It was a surprise for sure.

MySpace.com - Tudo Bem - 38 - Male - ATHENS, Georgia - www.myspace.com/tudobembjj
go to the tagged photos section for pictures.

I don't know how the hell you are managing it. I will be married soon and will be teaching science to high school students so I have no idea when im going to fit in my bjj training. I think I will be lucky if I am able to go to 2 classes a week.

congratulations man. i'll be married soon too. i pray that i can keep the wife happy enough to allow for 12 more years of jiu-jitsu.

First...congratulations. I can only dream of this (currently purple).

Second...that first bit is great advice. I'm about to go out for knee surgery, so I will definitely keep this in mind and just watch videos all day. Gotta go download the internet mod for the Wii so I can watch them on the big screen!

Congrats, Guardpasser! I haven't seen you up in Northern Virginia in a long time. Please stop by if you're in the area. (FYI: I moved out of the Gold's Gym last year and have my own place now.)

Keep going man. The hardest part of your training is the transition from brown belt to black. Best of Luck.

how the hell do you have time to even sleep if you work 10 hours a day and have 2 kids? How often do you train?

Back