So neither guy won...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Y0cc3, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Y0cc3

Y0cc3 Blue Belt

I'm not talking about robbery since I understand these fights have to be scored for someone because of business and with the stupid round by round 10-9 scoring it was rightfully 4-1 or 3-2 for Jones.
    But to me it's just lame to see someone "winning" a title fight when very little happens. 2 first rounds were magnificent, they reminded me of old school boxing legends. Last 3 (which Jones clearly won by unified rules) really had very little action and I think neither guy actually won them. Maybe I'm old school but I think of MMA as a fight and control, takedowns etc. clean techniques are worthless if they don't actually do any damage.
    If I actually scored that as a fight instead of Unified MMA match, I would put it as a draw since neither guy did more damage.
    /tired, worthless rant.

ps. I'm not a Cormier fan, I'm not Jones hater.

2. STRAWBOSS

STRAWBOSS MASTER SUGAR RIMMER

get some sleep, mon frere.

3. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

You cannot be serious.

4. ThunderL1ps

ThunderL1ps Red Belt

It didn't make me want to see Jon Jones fight again. In other words: the fight was counter productive to what the promoter wanted.

Another Greg Jackson special.

5. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

judges gonna judge.

6. SongXIII

SongXIII Red Belt Platinum Member

7. Y0cc3

Y0cc3 Blue Belt

I am! Why wouldn't I be?
    To me this is a fight. One slam that hurts like hell>15 non-painful takedowns, one clean elbow from bottom>20 minutes of control etc.
    I want to clarify that I was impressed with Jones, he controlled the fight even in close range which was supposedly the place where Cormier would dominate. But to me it's a fight and in a fight, you don't beat up your opponent=you don't win the fight.
    I think only round where there was a winner was the second round. There Cormier landed well to the head and won it. Besides that it was non-damaging techniques and the damaging techniques were pretty close.

So IMHO,
    Unified MMA athletic competition = Jones was clearly the better man this morning.
    Fight = Neither guy clearly won.

8. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

Then go watch street fights, don't watch MMA.

9. Shocktagon

Shocktagon Brown Belt

This place never fails to deliver the laughs after big fights.

10. TripAtTheBrain

TripAtTheBrain Mentally Incompetent

This is one stupid fucking thread.

11. The Judas Pig

The Judas Pig Black Belt

Are you saying the judges were wrong?

12. TheRassler

TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

nope, judges aren't required to be right or wrong, that's just the way it is.

13. chaoticmayhem

chaoticmayhem Brown Belt

Jones looked sloppy enough that I thought he was toying with DC and not trying to finish or completely dominate him. The last round was truly pathetic, from Jones wall and stalling to DC going for a moral victory take down when he need a KO to Herb not separating them when they were holding onto each other against the cage.

Jones needs another contender called Gus and DC's hype will never be the same but maybe he can build himself up over the next few years and get another crack at the title. I personally think this was DC's one chance at Jones, he failed and he'll never get it again.

14. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

What are you gonna say if Gus loses again?

15. Y0cc3

Y0cc3 Blue Belt

Maybe the error is in the readers who are very judgmental and cannot look at other peoples points.

Watching street fights isn't entertaining because the guys aren't as prepared, the fighters aren't as talented, there isn't any grace is a backyard brawl and they are also extremely dangerous because they aren't sanctioned. So no, I will stick with MMA.

I wish I could laugh but I'm more sad than anything. When someone has different mindset, people here (or anywhere for that matter) don't look at it from other POV. It's easier to just say that someone or something sucks than to actually think about their comments.

I don't know what is wrong with some of you. I never claimed that Jones didn't win the match, he did. I just think neither guy won the fight. I feel like these title fights should be 25 minutes and if neither guy clearly beats the other guy, they should fight until finish.

16. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

Then don't bitch about the rules. The rules are needed because this is a sport.

You see your dilemma?

The same thing that keeps MMA entertaining and not as dangerous is the same thing you're criticizing -- rules.

17. KingNothing148

KingNothing148 Purple Belt

I'm glad I went to a bar and didn't buy this shit.

18. kic**

kic** Orange Belt

agree with TS. This fight was basically a draw.

19. TripAtTheBrain

TripAtTheBrain Mentally Incompetent

No I can definitely see your point. It's just dumb. By your rationale a large percentage of MMA fights would end in draws. These fights are based on a set of rules and have been for, gee I don't know, about fifteen years. According to these rules, Jones won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules#Unified_Rules_of_Mixed_Martial_Arts

20. Y0cc3

Y0cc3 Blue Belt

To me we are talking about different things. Street fighting is too dangerous because there are no rules and because there are no safety measures (referee, doctor, paramedics, rules & regulations about the surface they are fighting on, pre and post fight medical tests etc.).
    MMA is getting lamer (not lame, I love it regardless) not because of rules and regulations, but because of bad rules and regulations.
    Good rules & regulations: Are ones that take extremely dangerous stuff away, that take unnecessary dangerous stuff away and keep the fight somewhat entertaining. All this without altering the actual core which is one on one fight. Now we had a match where neither guy won the FIGHT but other guy clearly won the MATCH. To me thats corrupting and altering the core which is the fight.