So neither guy won...

Y0cc3

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm not talking about robbery since I understand these fights have to be scored for someone because of business and with the stupid round by round 10-9 scoring it was rightfully 4-1 or 3-2 for Jones.
But to me it's just lame to see someone "winning" a title fight when very little happens. 2 first rounds were magnificent, they reminded me of old school boxing legends. Last 3 (which Jones clearly won by unified rules) really had very little action and I think neither guy actually won them. Maybe I'm old school but I think of MMA as a fight and control, takedowns etc. clean techniques are worthless if they don't actually do any damage.
If I actually scored that as a fight instead of Unified MMA match, I would put it as a draw since neither guy did more damage.
/tired, worthless rant.

ps. I'm not a Cormier fan, I'm not Jones hater.

IMaybe I'm old school but I think of MMA as a fight and control, takedowns etc. clean techniques are worthless if they don't actually do any damage.
You cannot be serious.

It didn't make me want to see Jon Jones fight again. In other words: the fight was counter productive to what the promoter wanted.

Another Greg Jackson special.

judges gonna judge.

You cannot be serious.

I am! Why wouldn't I be?
To me this is a fight. One slam that hurts like hell>15 non-painful takedowns, one clean elbow from bottom>20 minutes of control etc.
I want to clarify that I was impressed with Jones, he controlled the fight even in close range which was supposedly the place where Cormier would dominate. But to me it's a fight and in a fight, you don't beat up your opponent=you don't win the fight.
I think only round where there was a winner was the second round. There Cormier landed well to the head and won it. Besides that it was non-damaging techniques and the damaging techniques were pretty close.

So IMHO,
Unified MMA athletic competition = Jones was clearly the better man this morning.
Fight = Neither guy clearly won.

I am! Why wouldn't I be?
To me this is a fight. One slam that hurts like hell>15 non-painful takedowns, one clean elbow from bottom>20 minutes of control etc.
I want to clarify that I was impressed with Jones, he controlled the fight even in close range which was supposedly the place where Cormier would dominate. But to me it's a fight and in a fight, you don't beat up your opponent=you don't win the fight.
I think only round where there was a winner was the second round. There Cormier landed well to the head and won it. Besides that it was non-damaging techniques and the damaging techniques were pretty close.

Then go watch street fights, don't watch MMA.

This place never fails to deliver the laughs after big fights.

Jones looked sloppy enough that I thought he was toying with DC and not trying to finish or completely dominate him. The last round was truly pathetic, from Jones wall and stalling to DC going for a moral victory take down when he need a KO to Herb not separating them when they were holding onto each other against the cage.

Jones needs another contender called Gus and DC's hype will never be the same but maybe he can build himself up over the next few years and get another crack at the title. I personally think this was DC's one chance at Jones, he failed and he'll never get it again.

Jones looked sloppy enough that I thought he was toying with DC and not trying to finish or completely dominate him. The last round was truly pathetic, from Jones wall and stalling to DC going for a moral victory take down when he need a KO to Herb not separating them when they were holding onto each other against the cage.

Jones needs another contender called Gus and DC's hype will never be the same but maybe he can build himself up over the next few years and get another crack at the title. I personally think this was DC's one chance at Jones, he failed and he'll never get it again.

What are you gonna say if Gus loses again?

This is one stupid fucking thread.

Maybe the error is in the readers who are very judgmental and cannot look at other peoples points.

Then go watch street fights, don't watch MMA.

Watching street fights isn't entertaining because the guys aren't as prepared, the fighters aren't as talented, there isn't any grace is a backyard brawl and they are also extremely dangerous because they aren't sanctioned. So no, I will stick with MMA.

This place never fails to deliver the laughs after big fights.

I wish I could laugh but I'm more sad than anything. When someone has different mindset, people here (or anywhere for that matter) don't look at it from other POV. It's easier to just say that someone or something sucks than to actually think about their comments.

I don't know what is wrong with some of you. I never claimed that Jones didn't win the match, he did. I just think neither guy won the fight. I feel like these title fights should be 25 minutes and if neither guy clearly beats the other guy, they should fight until finish.

Watching street fights isn't entertaining because the guys aren't as prepared, the fighters aren't as talented, there isn't any grace is a backyard brawl and they are also extremely dangerous because they aren't sanctioned. So no, I will stick with MMA.

Then don't bitch about the rules. The rules are needed because this is a sport.

I don't know what is wrong with some of you. I never claimed that Jones didn't win the match, he did. I just think neither guy won the fight. I feel like these title fights should be 25 minutes and if neither guy clearly beats the other guy, they should fight until finish.

You see your dilemma?

The same thing that keeps MMA entertaining and not as dangerous is the same thing you're criticizing -- rules.

agree with TS. This fight was basically a draw.

Then don't bitch about the rules. The rules are needed because this is a sport.

You see your dilemma?

The same thing that keeps MMA entertaining and not as dangerous is the same thing you're criticizing -- rules.

To me we are talking about different things. Street fighting is too dangerous because there are no rules and because there are no safety measures (referee, doctor, paramedics, rules & regulations about the surface they are fighting on, pre and post fight medical tests etc.).
MMA is getting lamer (not lame, I love it regardless) not because of rules and regulations, but because of bad rules and regulations.
Good rules & regulations: Are ones that take extremely dangerous stuff away, that take unnecessary dangerous stuff away and keep the fight somewhat entertaining. All this without altering the actual core which is one on one fight. Now we had a match where neither guy won the FIGHT but other guy clearly won the MATCH. To me thats corrupting and altering the core which is the fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back