So my friend wants to start a grappling tournament...

Hydra1313

Orange Belt
Reaction score
...and i dont think it is a good idea. only 3 out of the 16 participants have some kind of experience; me, and 2 other friends.

i did a two week trial at this place and went everyday so i barely know anything but i know enough to roll safe. this other kid went to bjj for 3 yrs but hasnt been in it for over a year now, and my friend has been doing bjj once a week for 2 years but he isnt good either. the rest dont even follow mma or any kind of martial arts and just like to grapple which usually ends up in a neck cranking competitina and im worried some one will get hurt especially how spastic us noobs are. we meet in a park to play sports and shit and grapple occasionally. ive seen the way some of these guys with 0 experience go at it and i cringe every time. my friend who wants to start this has no experience in bjj but out of the rest who dont have any experience, he is the best.

ive already voiced my concern but can any of you sherdoggers give me any advice on how to stop this or educate them about the danger of something like this?

...and i dont think it is a good idea. only 3 out of the 16 participants have some kind of experience; me, and 2 other friends.

i did a two week trial at this place and went everyday so i barely know anything but i know enough to roll safe. this other kid went to bjj for 3 yrs but hasnt been in it for over a year now, and my friend has been doing bjj once a week for 2 years but he isnt good either. the rest dont even follow mma or any kind of martial arts and just like to grapple which usually ends up in a neck cranking competitina and im worried some one will get hurt especially how spastic us noobs are. we meet in a park to play sports and shit and grapple occasionally. ive seen the way some of these guys with 0 experience go at it and i cringe every time. my friend who wants to start this has no experience in bjj but out of the rest who dont have any experience, he is the best.

ive already voiced my concern but can any of you sherdoggers give me any advice on how to stop this or educate them about the danger of something like this?

If you think you know enough to roll safe, then you don't know enough. Especially in two weeks. Trust me on this. It's dangerous however, you can make it safer by reffing each match.

No leglocks/reaping the knee
No spiking on the head
No slams
Look up the rules for beginner's divisions in tournaments

If you think you know enough to roll safe, then you don't know enough. Especially in two weeks. Trust me on this. It's dangerous however, you can make it safer by reffing each match.

No leglocks/reaping the knee
No spiking on the head
No slams
Look up the rules for beginner's divisions in tournaments

yeah i dont know enough to roll safe but i meant compared to them. and the problem is they all reap the neck, and thanks for that advice. i will look up the rules for beginner's division in tournaments

yeah i dont know enough to roll safe but i meant compared to them. and the problem is they all reap the neck, and thanks for that advice. i will look up the rules for beginner's division in tournaments

Use the best judgement possible to stop matches where one of them could be injured.

I was grappling with friends on several occasions and I had americanas on them. They didn't tap, I heard popping noises from their arm and they still didn't tap, so I let go and got up and never rolled with them again.

what gonna happen if someone cannot get up?
Are you gonna hang around and call an ambulance for your friend?

Sounds like he just wants to wrestle with some buddies don't be so lame.

Not a good idea...but if it has to happen, do it under the supervision of your instructor. Make sure everyone signs waivers. Those are potential students for your instructor.

edit: i guess you don't have an instructor at the moment. perhaps your buddy's instructor.

Do it with a ref and someone else ready to jump in just in case the lock is in tight. My RNC is tight and sometimes if a heavier guy has exerted all his energy trying to get out and my arms have no oxygen left I find it hard to let go or roll out so you may need a couple of guys just ready to push guys off or aide the ref in moving guys.

Yeah I dont think thats a good idea.

You need matts, refs, medics, medals, prizes etc etc.

Do you really want to go trough all that trouble?

That actually sounds fun as hell, I wish my friends liked to do shit like that when we were in high school, haha.

Back