So my boss has left her job Friday, and no one is there to replace her.

I had a woman boss once. She had a cunt.
1545.gif

Yeah I know. But I haven't always been the boss. I worked my way up. And the reason I kept getting promoted is because I have that attitude. I do things to help the company. Not only because they took a chance on me, but because if they don't thrive then I'm out of a job. The rewards will come when you work this way.

It just blows by mind how people treat their company like the enemy, then wonder why they don't get promoted.
100%, but there's a balance here
I've never worked corporate, gratefully - but I have seen people get absolutely dumped on because they were good company men. I think asserting your worth in situations like this is fair advice. You don't have to give your company an ultimatum, but its fair to throw your hat into the ring for a promotion when you're asked to do more work. Especially if you're capable.

I doubt any competent organization would have a manager leave and they would just leave a vacuum indefinitely. They're obviously planning for someone to take over those responsibilities.

Seems like you have declined in the past so maybe they've got other candidates in mind. But if you had a change of heart or you sense some responsibility creep happening, might want to speak up.

100%, but there's a balance here
I've never worked corporate, gratefully - but I have seen people get absolutely dumped on because they were good company men. I think asserting your worth in situations like this is fair advice. You don't have to give your company an ultimatum, but its fair to throw your hat into the ring for a promotion when you're asked to do more work. Especially if you're capable.

I've worked for several sizable corporations, let's just say we have ways of identifying suckers and dumping on them, and even better we can practically give them Stockholm syndrome so they literally volunteer to get dumped on over & over again. This kind of toxic culture is why I now work for a small business instead of a large corporation.

It boggles my mind how people work for companies and yet have such a selfish attitude toward that company. Like, "yeah I work here, but fuck this place, I'm not doing anything extra unless I get paid for it."

You are in a business partnership with your employer. It's supposed to be mutually beneficial. If you had a business partner, you wouldn't mind helping the guy out a little if he needed it. But because it's a big faceless entity people think they can treat it like shit.

I'm sure they do nice things that they're not required to do, like give out holiday gifts and buy you lunch, throw a Xmas party or whatever, so why is it so foreign to help your company out when they need you?

Just pick up the phone and call whoever's in charge and say, "hey Bob it's been a few days since Mary left and her work is piling up. I know I've turned down her position in the past, but I'd be happy to fill in just for a week or two until you get someone in place if that would be helpful."

It’s also the quickest way to get promoted.

And not a soul has asked if I would take over her duties. No even one word. And I work for a large corporation worldwide. I am "able" to do her job but I have always refused it when it has been offered to me. I have taken over a few times before but I had a plan in place and some resources in place with the upper management. Like I would hire a part time person or two to cover the lapses.

It just seems to be that I will do my job and her job I guess. But I gotta think that this just seems bizarre. I suppose I could just do my own job and see what happens.

If I do that though the shit will hit the fan hard. For everyone. Has anyone even been in this kind of situation before? It is a bit overwhelming to me right now.

Wouldn't upper management take notice of your proactivity if you contacted them and offered to take her position with job band salary and echelon?

Or you could just negotiate your salary, stating your case of course.

This is assuming you're interested in the position.

So you’ve refused in the past and you wonder why they aren’t asking now.

Makes sense.
I think you missed the point. They have not asked me, they are just expecting me to do it. I mean, I could just pretend and not do anything. But then I would be fucking myself and everyone else over. It is just messed up.

And the other thing is that they have offered me the position three times and I have refused. I don't want the job. I prefer the job I have.

I think you missed the point. They have not asked me, they are just expecting me to do it. I mean, I could just pretend and not do anything. But then I would be fucking myself and everyone else over. It is just messed up.

And the other thing is that they have offered me the position three times and I have refused. I don't want the job. I prefer the job I have.
How do you know they're expecting you to do it? They might just have other priorities and so they haven't thought about it. Call your bosses and all then if they want you to step in. Maybe they don't even realize how much she did or how much shit will hit the fan in her absence.

This happened twice to me in the same place. Stepped up first time, received nothing for it. Did not step up next time and they were completely bewildered as to why I didn't show initiative this time...

Really does annoy me people that dumb get to management positions while those of us know why, did not sooner.

The military does this all the time. It's called being a team player.

LOL it isn't.

It's called SOP.

If you care about your coworkers you might consider bearing some extra burden for their sake.

Sometimes you have to look out for number one, and sometimes you should be unselfish and do what you can to help others - because you can. You don't always have to gain monaritarily from helping people, sometimes helping others is its own pay.

It really depends on the specifics of your situation/workplace which of the above is a better decision to make.
Spoken like a true manager

You work for DQ, don’t you?

And not a soul has asked if I would take over her duties. No even one word. And I work for a large corporation worldwide. I am "able" to do her job but I have always refused it when it has been offered to me. I have taken over a few times before but I had a plan in place and some resources in place with the upper management. Like I would hire a part time person or two to cover the lapses.

It just seems to be that I will do my job and her job I guess. But I gotta think that this just seems bizarre. I suppose I could just do my own job and see what happens.

If I do that though the shit will hit the fan hard. For everyone. Has anyone even been in this kind of situation before? It is a bit overwhelming to me right now.

You've been through this process before and the only difference is they haven't asked you this time?

It seems kinda obvious but maybe you should talk to them.

Explain what has happened with your boss, what has happened in the past when this occurs (you doing the job) and politely state you're concerned because nobody has asked you and if the role isn't restaffed these are the problems that are likely to occur.

The whole worker/employee relationship is weird. Employees feel overwhelmed by problems they can foresee that managers haven't but stew on them rather than just talking about it. Half the time they snap and tell them in some emotional tirade after stressing over it for the past week.

Lol at excepting extra responsibilities for zero extra pay. Who gives a fuck if the company starts to burn?

A lot of you would have made damn fine slaves in the olden days.

Oh okay my apologies. Now I understand.

Are they at least giving you the “we’ll remember this team player thing come bonus time” schpiel?

My boss just quit his job.. Says he’s going out to find blind spots and he’ll do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back