So much for JDS having the best boxing in MMA!

In the top 5% of UFC fighters. The guy needs to work on his footwork though.

Above or below Anderson. Be more specific. Also, try to explain your reasoning.

Nick Diaz needs to work on alot of things btw. Not just his footwork.

Forrest and Yushin's hands are both average at best. Anderson rang rings around them yes, but it wasn't as amazing a feat as some like to make it out to be.

I'm not stating they are marvelous strikers or anything, but Yushin does have very solid boxing (for mma) and he has never really been completely nullified on the feet like that before.

In the top 5% of UFC fighters.

Diaz overrated boxing, he has poor footwork, no head movement, loves to keep his hands low, what he does is throw a lot of punches. His punches for the most part are straight and tend to have some "snap" to them, but overall his boxing isn't good. He has good punching but definitely not good boxing.

Above or below Anderson. Be more specific. Also, try to explain your reasoning.

Probably below. Lacks the power and accuracy that Anderson possesses, also his head movement and footwork is considerably less impressive.

That being said, their boxing styles are wildly different, so it's a little hard to compare them objectively.

Diaz overrated boxing, he has poor footwork, no head movement, loves to keep his hands low, what he does is throw a lot of punches. His punches for the most part are straight and tend to have some "snap" to them, but overall his boxing isn't good. He has good punching but definitely not good boxing.

All that does is really you how poor the standard of boxing in MMA really is. Diaz is still in the upper echelon but has a lot of holes in his boxing game.

Yes, remember what happened to Toney in mma? It would be the same for a lot of mma guys making the crossover to boxing. Of course a few of the top guys could hang, like the fighters named in this thread.

How old was Toney though? 42, He's not really indicative of a boxer in MMA. He still managed to KO a former UFC HW Champ though...

No, what "threw" JDS off was the fact that Cain was quicker and faster than JDS was. Cain was able to land on JDS all night and was doing it consistently with fast and crisp punches, JDS' "boxing" and speed was horribly overrated on Sherdog for quite some time because for some strange reason a place filled with posters that despise Boxing, actually believe they are good judges of what does/doesn't make a good "boxer" in MMA.

So...Cains wrestling didn't impact the fight at all then? Throwing in takedowns with your strikes is the best way to throw off a striker and thats what Cain did.

Probably below. Lacks the power and accuracy that Anderson possesses, also his head movement and footwork is considerably less impressive.

That being said, their boxing styles are wildly different, so it's a little hard to compare them objectively.

Forget about his lack of power(AND speed). Nick Diaz is technically not a very good boxer offensively. He's a good puncher and has some decent combos, so that alone puts him above most MMA fighters I guess. But he's a whole tier below Anderson when it comes to boxing technique, both defensively and offensively.

Last edited:
So are you gonna tell me then that Sonnen is the best striker in MMA? You can't really be that stupid.

Ah. MMMath doesn't work when Anderson is included.. No. Just saying Sonnen beat the shit out of him and supposedly Anderson has the best boxing in MMA...

Traditional boxing aint worth a damn in an MMA fight.

The basic principles, headmovement, angles, punches that dont look like they're thrown by an angry 4 year old can work well in MMA.

The basic principles, headmovement, angles, punches that dont look like they're thrown by an angry 4 year old can work well in MMA.

I think any fighter who fights using a traditional boxing stance in mma is just begging to be taken down.

How old was Toney though? 42, He's not really indicative of a boxer in MMA. He still managed to KO a former UFC HW Champ though...

So...Cains wrestling didn't impact the fight at all then? Throwing in takedowns with your strikes is the best way to throw off a striker and thats what Cain did.

Toney has a KO In MMA?

Did Cain's wrestling impact the first fight? Did Gonzaga, Carwin or Nelson's wrestling impact their fights against JDS? Let me guess, wrestling only impacts a fight vs. JDS when JDS loses the standup battle, but when he's winning them the impact isn't there.

Ah. MMMath doesn't work when Anderson is included.. No. Just saying Sonnen beat the shit out of him and supposedly Anderson has the best boxing in MMA...

MMA math isn't reliable period.

And if that's not what you're trying to say, (that Sonnen is the best striker in MMA) Why even bring it up? That's a little obsessive.

Toney has a KO In MMA?

Did Cain's wrestling impact the first fight? Did Gonzaga, Carwin or Nelson's wrestling impact their fights against JDS? Let me guess, wrestling only impacts a fight vs. JDS when JDS loses the standup battle, but when he's winning them the impact isn't there.

Over Sylvia...

Whee did that come from? You're trying to put words that I never said into my mouth (or at my fingertips), pretty low. Wrestling when applied/used properly impacts a fight. JDS managed to mostly negate Gonzaga, Carwin and Nelsons wrestling, he however did not manage to negate Cains and Cain thus used that as a weapon against JDS. Pretty simple really.

I think any fighter who fights using a traditional boxing stance in mma is just begging to be taken down.

Thats why I left stance out of it. But circling, coming in on different angles, footwork, combos and a punch that doesnt look like a spastic fish can all do well in MMA.

Diaz brothers. No one will beat them by standing and trying to out-box them. That probably makes their boxing better than anyone else's.

I think it was obvious yesterday that JDS' boxing is not the best in MMA... I think Anderson has that title now. Who do you think?

102_junior_dos_santos_vs_cain_velasquez.0_standard_352.0.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/01
5/301/anderson-silva-boxing_crop_340x234.jpg?1282834065

You needed this fight to tell you that Anderson had the best hands?

He's always had the best hands TS. It's not even close.

This thread is silly...THIS IS MMA....there will never be a boxing match in the octagon....

You needed this fight to tell you that Anderson had the best hands?

He's always had the best hands TS. It's not even close.

Fedor has the best hands in MMA.

He punch and bag prime Cro Cop.

And that is Prime Cro Cop.

Its really sad that Fedor never shared his technique and he never followed up on his training he is on the verge of creating a new style of fighting.

Back