So much for Ireland's favorite son!

Very interesting.

In some respects, he does in fact seem to act very much like what the world perceives when they picture a stereotypical "American".

this exactly Conner acts like a stereotypical pompous american

he definitely strikes you as a guy who has let fame and fortune go to his head

Last edited:
How many people did he talk to?

Asking 5 people doesn't really mean anything.

this exactly Conner acts like a stereotypical pompus american

he definitely strikes you as a guy who has let fame and fortune go to his head

The majority of Americans aren't pompous. They just have their fair share of assholes just like wherever you come from.

+1

Isn't this the case with every celebrity ever? Some people like them, some don't. I'm sure there are Canadians who think GSP is boring. There are certainly Australians who dislike Hugh Jackman. Countries aren't a hive mind.

When the UFC say 'He's got the whole of Ireland behind him', they mean 'He's Irish. And there are fans of his who are also Irish'.

The majority of Americans aren't pompous. They just have their fair share of assholes just like wherever you come from.

+1

don't get me wrong i wasn't saying Americans are pompous assholes or anything like that i was just drawing a reference

They gave a glimpse of that when they interviewed his mother and father. They were very disapproving too. But then you do have a young man making his name in the world. That has never sat well with ANY old guard.

I have several Irish Friends. There is an exchange program that let's them come expense free and gives them a job.

All of them like Conor and he is all they knew about MMA

My son just got back from Ireland and everybody he talked to thinks Conor is a douche and a national embarrassment. They were totally baffled by his popularity here. They told him the only place he's popular is Dublin.

it maybe the 2 O's in the name.....but I think your son may have got mixed up
national embarrassment ? douche ?

CJFhCVI.jpg

Your son was either in Cork or Limerick, I'd wager. Anyway, as for the people who dislike him, a lot of them are people who worry that Conor gives off a bad image of Ireland. I'm sure they seen a 30 second news report of the press conference with him and Aldo in Dublin or listened to some of the radio shows talking about it.

This thing about him being worshipped in Ireland is nonsense. I'd struggle to find a reason to like or dislike him if I wasn't a fan or MMA. Again, people probably watched a clip of him being cocky and automatically have a dislike for him. And then you factor in non MMA fans from outside of Dublin. They don't like people from Dublin because we are the enlightened people of the country:icon_chee

My son just got back from Ireland and everybody he talked to thinks Conor is a douche and a national embarrassment. They were totally baffled by his popularity here. They told him the only place he's popular is Dublin.

Yeah. Like you've had sex.

Back