So Matt Lindland was ranked number 1?

He was ranked #1 MW when he fought Fedor.

He was a very dominate blanket in the early 2000's

He was well ranked at a time when Middleweight was one of the weaker divisions in the sport.

He was well ranked at a time when Middleweight was one of the weaker divisions in the sport.

I wouldn't say it was really weak just really splintered, the top guys were Lindland(freelance), Franklin(UFC), Anderson(Cage Rage), Henderson(Pride) and Filho(Pride) and I don't think any of them fought in the same orgs when they were close to number 1 except for Henderson and Filho. It is strange that they never fought though.

MW was very strange in the early 2000s, since Pride didn't really have 185 lbs. as a full time division until they started the Bushido series. Bustamante was the clear #1 MW after he beat Lindland for the UFC title - then he went to Pride and fought 3 straight fights at 205.

He never had what I consider a real marquee win. Good but not great fighter.

Franklin or Henderson would of defeated him IMHO.

I was always super impressed by his first round defeat of Militech in 2002. He looked fucking ferocious in that fight.

And to the OP, yeah, around 2006-2007, many people thought Lindland was the uncrowned 185 champ. Most thought he beat Rampage moving up in weight, and he had about 10 wins in a row against some really solid guys.

Even back then, rankings didn't matter

All discussions about rankings in the past always seem to make the people who weren't around at that time become flabbergasted.

In the UFC he was, it's a shame how he got treated by the corrupt UFC, protecting Rich Franklin and cutting Lindland because of a sponsor Lol..

IMHO He would have absolutely beat Anderson Silva in 2006.

Just like this repetitive topic

If you don't like it then don't post in it, you're only making more people see it. Since when is this a repetitive topic? There aren't many Matt Lindland threads.

If you don't like it then don't post in it, you're only making more people see it. Since when is this a repetitive topic? There aren't many Matt Lindland threads.

I didn't say I didn't like anything. I'm just posting my opinion in an open forum

Rankings was the repetitive topic I was referring to, not Matt Linland.

Lindland was the next in line for a title shot when he wore a T-shirt with sponsors listed on it. The shirt was not approved by Dana so Lindland was booted out of the UFC because of it. Lindland said the UFC paid in peanuts as they do now and was only wearing it to make some extra cash. He had amazing wrestling skills and used it to beat down his opponents.

Glad to hear he is now the head of the American Olympic Wrestling program.

I didn't say I didn't like anything. I'm just posting my opinion in an open forum

Rankings was the repetitive topic I was referring to, not Matt Linland.

If you think rankings don't matter why would you post in a thread that is discussing rankings? It doesn't make much sense.

Nooooo dont put him on a level with Chuck. Chuck was no doubt THE MAN at one point. Even if it was close between him, Wand, Rampage, Hendo etc as far as actual fighting skills, Chuck took this thing up at least 1 level. People loved watching Chuck fight, Lindland, not so much. Although I think Lindland is underrated and not as boring as people say. He fought like a greco based Ben Askren. He has good wins over Pat Miletich, Ivan Salaverry, Travis Lutter, Nino Schembri, Joe Doerkson, Baronix2, Mike Van Arsdale, Jeremy Horn, Carlos Newton. Many of those wins were finishes as well.

hi dsdoubled,

i put Lindland at Chuck's level, and i liked Chuck as much as anyone.

i don't see him as taking it "1 level up" from Wanderlei, Jackson, Shogun, little Nog, or Hendo.

- IGIT

Back