1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

So lets say adyesnna beats Jan

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by GabeLincoln, Nov 2, 2020.

1. GabeLincoln Orange Belt

Him winning the lhw title that way is as impressive as GSP beating Bisping

Not Very

I'd like to see someone move up and beat some fighters in the div not get gifted a title shot and then claiming how they won 2 titles.

AugustBurnsRob82 likes this.
  2. Qkhanh White Belt

I’m confused, are you saying it’s as impressive as GSP’s fight against Bisping? Yes, probably more so on that regard.

Are you saying Adesanya shouldn’t have a shot at the title from the get-go? Maybe

3. King in the North Red Belt

It would be 10x more impressive than what GSP did

EDIT: Thought the title said Jon not Jan. Had to remove a few zeros.

4. Tevfik1907 Blue Belt

Adesanya is in his prime while Jan got a little lucky by being a very late bloomer, he and Adesanya also know that Jan won't have many title defenses, 1 or 2 at best if he doesn't fight with Adesanya.

Bisping was also a little lucky and a late bloomer, but GSP wasn't in his prime, so two fighters who past their primes fought, and GSP won.

Also another difference is GSP was not even a big welterweight, while Adesanya is a big middleweight, Adesanya can adapt to a higher level weight class far better than GSP could.

These are the differences here. Accepting this fight is far easier for Adesanya, and he should won it as he is still in his prime.

5. G10 Green Belt

I think Adesanya fight Jan right now is a big mistake. There's some interesting parity at LHW with Jones now gone, and I'm more curious to see how it plays out. Besides, Izzy could match with a different LHW just to see how he does up a division. 185 to 205 is a HUGE jump, and there's a reason it didn't work well for Rockhold, Weidman, and Jacare.

As for whether it's more or less impressive...I'd say less. GSP came back from a very long layoff, so there were a lot of questions. Plus, Bisping was a bigger name at the time than Jan is now. If Izzy wins, then yes, he'll be the champ, but it wouldn't pack the same punch as it would had he beaten a more charismatic guy than Jan.

6. is a Click the image but nothing really happens.

I'm not so sure about this. He's tall, but he doesn't have a wide-body frame matching his height; the shape of a narrower rectangle rather than a wider one.
    This was evident when he easily made the MW weight limit 2lbs under at one point while fully clothed and casually eating donuts at one point.

But to answer the actual topic...
    Jan has the clout of completely demolishing the guy that arguably beat the #1 P4P fighter just a couple months ago leading up to that fight. Clearly Jan has every right to present himself as a legitimate title holder in the LHW division, and someone who shouldn't be overlooked at all, even if the challenger is pretty much invincible in a lower division.

moraelthe6eyes and Iroh like this.
  7. Huligani Number One Bullshit

Jan > Reyes > Jones

Iroh likes this.
  8. Tevfik1907 Blue Belt

I also thought this, but DC seriously advised Khamzat to fight at welterweight, because he says Adesanya is a too big middleweight for him, that actually changed my mind. And DC is a guy who has 1.80 cm height, and fighting at heavyweight, he surely knows Adesanya's capability.

9. TJH Exitium Green Belt

Well, Bisping did win the belt by knocking out the previous champion, while Jan did not beat the previous champ to win the belt

There is that

10. Tevfik1907 Blue Belt

Rockhold was never a dominant champion, he won it from Weidman, and Bisping fight was Rockhold's first title defense and he still ruined it.

Jan also beat Rockhold anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

11. is a Click the image but nothing really happens.

Well...Khamzat actually has a similar body type as Izzy, but then Khamzat's overall proportions (including height and width) are smaller than Izzy's. Khamzat would be a skinny-looking MW for sure, which is why he can make both MW and WW without too much difficulty. As small as Izzy is, he is also extremely lean without much muscle (thus not a lot of water weight to cut) + hardly any fat on him either.

DC is advertised as being 5'11 but in his Strikeforce days, he was about the same height as Jeff Monson, who sits around 5'9 to 5'10? But he can compete at heavyweight since the dude carries a lot of fat + he has an extremely thick frame overall for his height.

12. Ironnik94 Silver Belt

Jan might be a better fighter than Bisping, but GSP was pretty old when he came back to fight Bisping, had two destroyed knees and Bisping was a more difficult match up for him than Jan is for GSP.

13. EVIL WAR GOD Black Belt

Beating Jan is more impressive that beating Bisping. GSP still has a slightly better record. Izzy is undefeated but GSP avenged his losses.

If Izzy beats Jan then either defends the belt or beats Jon he passes GSP on the GOAT list IMO.

14. LilNicky95 Black Belt

DC> Vulkan > Reyes > Jones.

wait up?

Your Logic is dumb bruh.

15. AndrewGolota48 Silver Belt

GSPs win was more impressive, he was older and inactive for years, moved up to fight a bigger fighter known to have good counter wrestling and cardio. Jan will most likely to content to stand and have a kickboxing match with the taller Adesanya, making the weight less of a factor.

Tevfik1907 likes this.
  16. Jackonfire BMF Mod Staff Member Senior Moderator

About as impressive as Conor moving up and beating Alvarez I guess. Eddie didn't have any defenses under his belt.

jstew81 likes this.
  17. ironmansnap Staying Real In A World Full Of Bluffs

It would be just as or more impressive

18. tramendous Silver Belt

The problem was bisping got a flukey win vs rockhold then avoided other contenders and fought an old dan henderson which he arguably lost and did get beaten up pretty badly. This would be similar to if jan didnt fight any contenders and then called out current shogun and then fought and lost to anderson silva coming out of retirement. Jan is much more legitimate than old dan henderson and a bloated WW past his prime GSP.

19. Tevfik1907 Blue Belt

Except Bisping beat Silva before fighting Rockhold, certainly that was a far better Silva than the one who fought Adesanya.

Bisping after winning the belt was pretty much finished since he also know he didn't have time or energy to keep it for long, so he went after Dan Henderson to avenge his another big lost.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  20. AugustBurnsRob82 Orange Belt

I agree. Honestly I feel you should definitely not jump the line regardless of being a champion in another weight class. Move up, earn your shot by fighting a couple too 5 guys and if you win the belt you can easily be in GOAT discussion.

Plus I dont like all the division hold ups. Between these so called "super fights", the UFC title shot rematches constantly and cycling title shots between the same top 5 guys because they are the only ones relatively known to casual fans, in turn being PPV draws, it's made the product somewhat stale.

I liked the days when if you had a solid win streak going, between 3-5 depending on the division depth, you got a title shot because you were the clear contender. Now it seems the only thing that matters is name value. WME kinda sucks, I preferred the earlier days with Lorenzo in charge.

Despite my excessively long rant of complaining, I'll still continue to watch because MMA is the purest form of competition