So landlord is kicking me out

his concern was being held liable. so i drafted up a letter pretty much stating anything that if were to happen he'd be not held liable.

this is what i got.

I rent 2 properties out and there is no way on earth I would sign this. A property owner can not simply absolve themselves of liability for things that happen on their property because they want to. Or because you want them to. If anything, this actually increases the landlords exposure because it is written proof that he knows what is going on.

If one of my tenants wanted to operate a day care center (or get paid to watch kids, whatever you want to call it) they would need to go out and buy a million $ liability policy, which would cost maybe $800-1000 a year I reckon, and would have to pay in full before someone could chase me down.

I rent 2 properties out and there is no way on earth I would sign this. A property owner can not simply absolve themselves of liability for things that happen on their property because they want to. Or because you want them to. If anything, this actually increases the landlords exposure because it is written proof that he knows what is going on.

If one of my tenants wanted to operate a day care center (or get paid to watch kids, whatever you want to call it) they would need to go out and buy a million $ liability policy, which would cost maybe $800-1000 a year I reckon, and would have to pay in full before someone could chase me down.

Exactly. This is what I always find funny about these situations. The landlord and tenant are entering into an agreement, but the 3rd party (the parent of the child) is NOT A PART OF THAT AGREEMENT. If there is recourse to be had against the landlord, that piece of paper means nothing to the 3rd party. If they can go after the landlord, the landlord isn't fully protected from some stupid agreement with his tenant. The landlord may have some recourse against the tenant, but it still wouldn't change the fact that the 3rd party could get a hefty judgment against the landlord.

I have to agree with the landlord TS. Not do you have people living there that are not on the lease, but they are children. Children destroy apartments all the time. He's just looking out for his business and the other tenants. And as stated above me, if the kids get hurt, the parents can come after the land lord and your agreement with him wot mean shit.

I know in NYC it can take 6mobtgs to evict someone. Gfs grandfather had to call city Marshall to evict his tenant. when it happened he lost everything in his apt. Became property of the owner. Gfs stepfather got a nice smart tv out of it

Interesting reading from the perspective of a scumbag tenant with no concept of the liabilities of ownership.

You think a smart tv is worth losing months of rent to an owner? You think maybe the place is full of other junk that had to be hauled away at cost to the owner? You think maybe the place had to be cleaned at cost to the owner after the junk is hauled away? You think the place instantly and magically fills itself with another tenant after its been cleaned out?

You have not the first clue of the costs of tenant turnover.

You think a letter indemnifies him from liability? It doesn't, that letter protects from nothing. Your girlfriends unlicensed, illegal business needs to be licensed and insured.

You snuck another person into your dwelling, and let that person set up shop, and have the gall to get mad that the person nice enough to lend you use of his property wants to protect himself from your naive decisions? You are the worst kind of entitled ignorant savage, man up and have some accountability for your actions.

Your actions directly led to the owner questioning your competence, you brought this entire situation onto yourself, the only thing going for you is living in the state of New York. In Florida, you'd be out in 15 days, and I'd be knocking on your door like the police every day to make sure you are spending your time packing your shit instead of getting high and taking all the fixtures out of the walls.

Yes I do this for a living, but in Florida where I can get people out in 15 days on a month to month and 30 days on a yearly. It states clearly in most leases the precise amount of adults and children allowed in the dwelling at time of move in, each additional savage you sneak in is $150 extra per month, if you try to run a business out of home you are notified to surrender premises right away, and I can raise the rent at any time for any reason.

Stay north where you are protected, entitled little snow bird.

Interesting reading from the perspective of a scumbag tenant with no concept of the liabilities of ownership.

You think a smart tv is worth losing months of rent to an owner? You think maybe the place is full of other junk that had to be hauled away at cost to the owner? You think maybe the place had to be cleaned at cost to the owner after the junk is hauled away? You think the place instantly and magically fills itself with another tenant after its been cleaned out?

You have not the first clue of the costs of tenant turnover.

You think a letter indemnifies him from liability? It doesn't, that letter protects from nothing. Your girlfriends unlicensed, illegal business needs to be licensed and insured.

You snuck another person into your dwelling, and let that person set up shop, and have the gall to get mad that the person nice enough to lend you use of his property wants to protect himself from your naive decisions? You are the worst kind of entitled ignorant savage, man up and have some accountability for your actions.

Your actions directly led to the owner questioning your competence, you brought this entire situation onto yourself, the only thing going for you is living in the state of New York. In Florida, you'd be out in 15 days, and I'd be knocking on your door like the police every day to make sure you are spending your time packing your shit instead of getting high and taking all the fixtures out of the walls.

Yes I do this for a living, but in Florida where I can get people out in 15 days on a month to month and 30 days on a yearly. It states clearly in most leases the precise amount of adults and children allowed in the dwelling at time of move in, each additional savage you sneak in is $150 extra per month, if you try to run a business out of home you are notified to surrender premises right away, and I can raise the rent at any time for any reason.

Stay north where you are protected, entitled little snow bird.

Wow......so I'm a savage bc my gf moved in with me with her son which is not against NYC law.

Again, I'll quote, straight from the city law.

When the lease names only one tenant, that tenant may share the apartment with immediate family, one additional occupant and the occupant

Last edited:
Babysitting and running a day care are two different things.

You are not a scumbag and neither is your GF, that poster was a little hard on you.

And you are right, baby sitting and child care are 2 different things. But your GF aint baby sitting.

Your GF is providing child care.

If she was watching the kids at their own house, perhaps you could call it baby sitting. If she was doing it once every blue moon, you might consider it baby sitting. If she was doing it at nights or on a weekend, you might consider it baby sitting. If your wife were a teenager and just watching kids while their folks went out to dinner and a movie, it might be baby sitting.

But she is doing it regularly, during the day, in accommodation that is not the primary residence of the children she is watching. Presumably for money, though from a liability perspective, that's irrelevant. That's child care.

You really seem to be completely unable to have any perspective of this from your landlords POV. Why should he incur unnecessary liability renting to you when he can just get another tenant?

Or perhaps he could just buy an additional liability policy to cover his ass for your GF's unlicensed business and charge you an extra 100 bucks a month. That seems reasonable to me. How would you feel about that?

Or have your GF go 'baby sit' at her friends house instead of yours. Problem solved.

These informal child care arrangements that you/your GF have entered into are generally harmless and not a big deal- If you own your own home. Because it is your own financial future you are risking. But when you do it in rented accommodation, you are putting the property owners head on the chopping block right next to yours. Speaking as a property owner and landlord- Fuck that noise.

Last edited:
Shove kids down stairs, sue the shit out of landlord, get dat Anderson Silva money.

And not a business. My gf was in the marines as well. She's just watching the kids of a fellow servicemember while she goes thru her divorce/separation bs. Nothing permanent.

If your gf is receiving any compensation for watching the kids your landlord has a legitimate complaint.

If your gf is NOT receiving any compensation for watching the kids, your landlord is in the wrong. Pretty simple.

If your gf is receiving any compensation for watching the kids your landlord has a legitimate complaint.

If your gf is NOT receiving any compensation for watching the kids, your landlord is in the wrong. Pretty simple.

Not true. The compensation she is receiving is irrelevant. All that is relevant is whether or not the dudes GF is providing child care.

If she is doing it every day or on most weekdays- Child care.
If the childs parent(s) are working while the kids are being watched- Child care

There is nothing wrong with providing childcare to help out a friend (free or otherwise). But if you are doing it from rented accommodation, your landlord will probably have something to say about it, because they are exposed to a great deal of liability.

Time was, a man could look another man in the eye and ask him "y'all aren't gonna sue me if one of them young'uns falls down muh steps and cracks his skull, are ye?" And the other man would give him his word, and we'd all go on livin'.

Our society has been stripped naked of character though. It's a damn shame. Laws can never replace character.

Time was, a man could look another man in the eye and ask him "y'all aren't gonna sue me if one of them young'uns falls down muh steps and cracks his skull, are ye?" And the other man would give him his word, and we'd all go on livin'.

Our society has been stripped naked of character though. It's a damn shame. Laws can never replace character.

We still live in that day and age in many places. But the tenant and his GF are not the ones that can make that promise. Because they would not be the ones suing if one of those little urchins fell and broke their neck. It would be the Mother and Father of the kids the chick is watching. And the landlord has no fucking clue who those people are.

We still live in that day and age in many places. But the tenant and his GF are not the ones that can make that promise. Because they would not be the ones suing if one of those little urchins fell and broke their neck. It would be the Mother and Father of the kids the chick is watching. And the landlord has no fucking clue who those people are.

No, in a society that still had true character, a landlord would not need to worry about being sued for something that wasn't his fault - the injured party would not blame someone for something they had nothing to do with...that's character. And if something did happen that was his fault, he'd be happy to rectify it in any way he could - he would feel it was his responsibility....that's character.

I understand we're way past this, but people like you who nitpick every little thing and need every goddam thing in writing and want to do everything by the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law aren't helping.

I had some trees planted in my yard a couple months ago. Two of the trees were put in the wrong spot - I needed them both moved by about 6 feet. I called the tree guy up and he was very apologetic and promised to take care of it for me...wasn't even completely his fault, just a misunderstanding between us. BUT, it was the end of the month, and he wanted to get paid for the job - I hadn't paid him anything yet. He's a small business and those trees were off his inventory and he needed payment. It had rained though, and it was too wet for him to do it that day or the next. I said no problem man, I'll pay you. He insisted on writing up a big agreement promising to come back and move the trees, that he would sign and give to me in exchange for payment. I told him it wasn't necessary, I trusted him to come back and move the trees. I paid him in full and said if you bring over any paperwork, I'm shredding it, I trust you. Just move the trees when it drys out, I don't want your paperwork.

I could tell he was a man of character and would get it done. See, to me, when I do business like that, he's actually more likely to follow through on his promise than if it was in writing. When things are in writing, people look for ways around the technicalities of what things say, and actually use it as an excuse to act as a cu nt. "Well, that agreement didn't specifically specify that...blah blah blah." When someone's character is on the line though - if indeed they do have any to speak of - that's everything to them. A man of character will always live up to his end of whatever bargain he made.

^
Again, I understand my ranting isn't very practical and people need to protect themselves. I put myself at risk of getting burned when I do things like the above, but it's worth it to me...it's my little way of saying let's all just do what's right and stand behind our actions, as members of what is supposed to be a society.

No, in a society that still had true character, a landlord would not need to worry about being sued for something that wasn't his fault - the injured party would not blame someone for something they had nothing to do with...that's character. And if something did happen that was his fault, he'd be happy to rectify it in any way he could - he would feel it was his responsibility....that's character.

I understand we're way past this, but people like you who nitpick every little thing and need every goddam thing in writing and want to do everything by the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law aren't helping.

I had some trees planted in my yard a couple months ago. Two of the trees were put in the wrong spot - I needed them both moved by about 6 feet. I called the tree guy up and he was very apologetic and promised to take care of it for me...wasn't even completely his fault, just a misunderstanding between us. BUT, it was the end of the month, and he wanted to get paid for the job - I hadn't paid him anything yet. He's a small business and those trees were off his inventory and he needed payment. It had rained though, and it was too wet for him to do it that day or the next. I said no problem man, I'll pay you. He insisted on writing up a big agreement promising to come back and move the trees, that he would sign and give to me in exchange for payment. I told him it wasn't necessary, I trusted him to come back and move the trees. I paid him in full and said if you bring over any paperwork, I'm shredding it, I trust you. Just move the trees when it drys out, I don't want your paperwork.

I could tell he was a man of character and would get it done. See, to me, when I do business like that, he's actually more likely to follow through on his promise than if it was in writing. When things are in writing, people look for ways around the technicalities of what things say, and actually use it as an excuse to act as a cu nt. "Well, that agreement didn't specifically specify that...blah blah blah." When someone's character is on the line though - if indeed they do have any to speak of - that's everything to them. A man of character will always live up to his end of whatever bargain he made.

^
Again, I understand my ranting isn't very practical and people need to protect themselves. I put myself at risk of getting burned when I do things like the above, but it's worth it to me...it's my little way of saying let's all just do what's right and stand behind our actions, as members of what is supposed to be a society.

You'd love the full 65+ page (8.5" x 11") employee handbook now required by my industry. It's for "our protection" and "our customer's protection", and it's absolutely insane. It puts procedures in place, and then talks about where to document that we are doing those procedures, and then to have someone audit those procedures, and then where to document those audits, and then who oversees the person auditing the procedures, and where that person documents their audit of the auditor, and so on. It goes on forever.

Who wins with the employee handbook? The attorneys that spent god knows how long churning hours writing it up.

^

OK, I hope you feel better for getting that off your chest.

There always have been and still are plenty of people with character. And there always have been and still are people without character.

You trusted this guy because you met him and felt good about him. And possibly because you are just a trusting guy. Finally, you trusted him in no small part because the consequences of him taking you for a ride were that you would not get trees moved a few feet. Way to stick your neck out on a limb there buddy. :rolleyes:

But you are probably not stupid either. And if you had not felt good about the guy, you probably would not have paid him before he did the work regardless of what he signed.

And if the guy asked you to loan him every cent you had to your name, and promised to give it back to you in a week, you would not have given it to him, even though you trusted his character. Why? Because you are not an idiot, and that is an excessive risk to take, even if you trust a person's character.

Most people have character, and I don't need a lecture from you on it. I own a logistics company that does about 600K an year in new sales to businesses I never in my life worked with, or even met a person face to face. I extend every one of them credit without doing any kind of check or even asking them to fill out a credit application. I am hardly ever taken for a ride. And when i am, i just don't bill those people any more.

I operate that way because I hate paperwork myself, I believe most people are honest, and the risk of getting taken for a couple thousand bucks by a business is not excessive.

But if I were going to bet my entire livelihood, the future of my family, my retirement, my kids educations, everything, on one company, you bet your life I would cover my ass. I would be an idiot not to. And I would deal ruthlessly with anyone that put my whole livelihood at risk.

Last edited:
Wow......so I'm a savage bc my gf moved in with me with her son which is not against NYC law.

Again, I'll quote, straight from the city law.

When the lease names only one tenant, that tenant may share the apartment with immediate family, one additional occupant and the occupant

OK, I hope you feel better for getting that off your chest.

There always have been and still are plenty of people with character. And there always have been and still are people without character.

I do feel better. And I agree there are still people with character, but I think less and less with every generation.

You'd love the full 65+ page (8.5" x 11") employee handbook now required by my industry. It's for "our protection" and "our customer's protection", and it's absolutely insane. It puts procedures in place, and then talks about where to document that we are doing those procedures, and then to have someone audit those procedures, and then where to document those audits, and then who oversees the person auditing the procedures, and where that person documents their audit of the auditor, and so on. It goes on forever.

Who wins with the employee handbook? The attorneys that spent god knows how long churning hours writing it up.

Haha...no shit.

And it's actually things like that handbook that contribute to the erosion of character, imo. When something like that is in place, people hide behind it and try to get away with any little thing that is not expressly forbidden by it, or take advantage of someone who didn't follow it to the letter.

You're clueless.

Answer 2 questions.

1) Did you notify your landlord prior to sneaking your gf and her child in?

2) Did you notify your landlord prior to your girlfriend starting an at home child care service?

If you answer No to either of these questions, you are an unaccountable scumbag. The only reason any of this is an issue, is because you chose to try to hide it, and got caught. From the landlord's perspective, you'd have kept on doing things like this and hoped you'd not get caught. A responsible person doesn't try to get away with things until they get caught, you aren't an owner, you don't get to make decisions on the property, yet you chose to and tried to hide it.

Do you have any capacity to see beyond your own myopia or is everything always someone else's fault in your little world?

The only thing paying your rent on time every month gets you, is a chance at getting your security deposit back and a stack of receipts. If you're claim to being a decent person is that you manage to pay one bill on time monthly, congrats on accomplishing the bare minimum in life.

You are in your position because you chose to be there and you deserve all the recourse that goes along with it. If you're landlord signs that letter and believes it will mean anything, then he is as much a fool as you.

1. Not right away. Bc I do not have to per NYC law, which I've repeated here now twice. Plus he knew from the get go she was living with me after she moved in. It's against the law for him to deny her the right to live here with her kid. Your lack of reading comprehension baffles me.

2. No bc we did not see it as a problem and my landlord admitted he had no problem with it UNTIL his mother in law fell in his apartment and died. If all it takes is myself, my gf, and the mother of the kids in question to sign a letter stating he will not be held accountable then so be it. It's his choice, which both he and his wife have agreed to. Had we known it would have come to this my gf would have never agreed to watch the kids while their mother was at work.

So go ahead and continue to call me an unaccountable scumbag you piece of shit.

Seems you've been scorn by one to many tenants and now you feel the need to chastise me.

As if you've never done anything and in hindsight thought gee, I've never should have done that. But I forget, I'm talking to Mr infallible here who dies no wrong.

Last edited:
Back