So landlord is kicking me out

CardonaLJ**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And the pretense is pretty fucking retarded. Bc my gf has a kid and is babysitting two kids he doesn't want to be held liable. Mind you my gf and her son have been living with me for over a year now. Rent is always on time and has been for 4 years. Asshole has only given me a month to move out.

Thank god I live in NYC and tennant laws favor the tennant and not the renter here. Will update after I tell him that a month is too short of a time.

Last edited:
That's some bullshit. I don't think he can do that. If they don't live there... You can't say someone isn't allowed to have visitors.

That's some bullshit. I don't think he can do that. If they don't live there... You can't say someone isn't allowed to have visitors.

Some states have laws regarding stuff like that. If the babysitting is permanent, it could be viewed as a business/day-care, which would fall under a different set of laws of that of a tenant. There are all sorts of different insurance/liabilities issues with day-cares in homes.

Thank god I live in NYC and tennant laws favor the tennant and not the renter here. Will update after I tell him that a month is too short of a time.

The tenant is the renter

I'm doubting the legitimacy of this entire thread

The lease dictates what the owner can and cannot do. If the lease says he only has to give 30 days notice to vacate the premises then there is not a great deal TS can do, regardless of the retarded reason.

Go and read the lease agreement TS.

The lease dictates what the owner can and cannot do. If the lease says he only has to give 30 days notice to vacate the premises then there is not a great deal TS can do, regardless of the retarded reason.

Go and read the lease agreement TS.
I could be completely wrong, so don't think I am trying to contradict you.

Doesn't local law override whatever is in the lease? Such as the time a tenant has to vacate after receiving an eviction notice.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought the law held precedence in situations like that.

I could be completely wrong, so don't think I am trying to contradict you.

Doesn't local law override whatever is in the lease? Such as the time a tenant has to vacate after receiving an eviction notice.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought the law held precedence in situations like that.

I think you're right. The lease can say whatever it wants, but to be a lawful lease, I think it has to imply with the local laws. The lease can say anything, but it won't be upheld by a court/law enforcement.

the landlord can tell you you can't move someone in without his approval. not sure you have anything to defend yourself with here. and her regularly babysitting from your place is totally sketchy. i wouldn't want an informal daycare run on any property i own.

but he probably needs to give you a warning first before beginning eviction.

Some states have laws regarding stuff like that. If the babysitting is permanent, it could be viewed as a business/day-care, which would fall under a different set of laws of that of a tenant. There are all sorts of different insurance/liabilities issues with day-cares in homes.
This^

It's not an issue having children. It's attempting to run a business from your rented home.

But we don't know the whole story. It seems like something reasonable people could discuss without it leading to an immediate eviction.

So, just spoke to him. His biggest concern was being held liable if an injury were to occur to the kids falling down the stairs. I told him if that's the only issue is draft an agreement up for him to sign saying that he would not be held liable should anything occur and that I'd have the mother of the kids my gf watches sign an agreement saying that she would not seek legal actions towards them for any injuries sustained to even please him more.

Needless to say, I'm still going to look for a place bc fuck that shit.

Operating a business out of your apartment is a no-no usually and with kids involved, the guy is covering his bases. Sucks to be OP but the landlord is doing the right thing.

And not a business. My gf was in the marines as well. She's just watching the kids of a fellow servicemember while she goes thru her divorce/separation bs. Nothing permanent.

This^

It's not an issue having children. It's attempting to run a business from your rented home.

But we don't know the whole story. It seems like something reasonable people could discuss without it leading to an immediate eviction.

In addition to the business from home issue, most leases also don't let you move in people not on the lease (the GF and her son) without the landlord's consent.

Back