So just how many jiu jitsu schools are there in so cali?

TrumpetDan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Edit: You guys can help me keep this updated.

Jiu Jitsu in Southern California

who knows...but here is a custom google map I made around my area with all the gyms I could think of.

I got rid of what I could of all the kung fu schools that claim to teach bjj ect. and tried to get legit/semi legit places. I know I missed a few major ones and probably duplicated 1 or 2 due to address changes. Sorry if its your gym I missed.

Jiujitsusocal.jpg

Looks like southgate, lynwood and compton could use a gym in their area :icon_twis

Last edited:
A lot of talent out there, thats for sure.

We have a ton out here, and a lot are actually legit. seems like a lot of people moved from Brazil and opened up in socal

If it was my choice I would train in Cali w/

1- Caio Terra/Caesar Gracie
2- University of JJ
3- New ATOS gym

I think this thread would be good as a sticky if all the addresses and stuff were posted too.

You know, for all of those "Any gyms/bjj/judo/... in _________?" threads.

I'd be a good resource for newcomers/travellers, etc.

I think this thread would be good as a sticky if all the addresses and stuff were posted too.

You know, for all of those "Any gyms/bjj/judo/... in _________?" threads.

I'd be a good resource for newcomers/travellers, etc.

Maybe ill assemble a gide that includes the addresses, pictures and real reviews from travelers when they visit a gym. Interesting idea....

You'd have to be pretty thug to open a school in Compton. Although it's getting a little better.

yep, there's a lot! You don't even have SD in there or anything north of SFV (like paragon schools, etc). Blackhouse is in Gardena (basically Compton), but only pros can train there.

yep, there's a lot! You don't even have SD in there or anything north of SFV (like paragon schools, etc). Blackhouse is in Gardena (basically Compton), but only pros can train there.

Actually he doesn't even have the entire SFV in there. Also kind of funny to see that in the poorer areas, such as east losangeles (easlos), el monte, compton, etc theres no bjj. I geuss bjj really is a sport for primarily middle/upper class people.

edit: another good example would be theres like 6 academies in lake forest, which is all middle upper class and mostly white, and no academies in santa ana, which is mostly hispanic.

Actually he doesn't even have the entire SFV in there. Also kind of funny to see that in the poorer areas, such as east losangeles (easlos), el monte, compton, etc theres no bjj. I geuss bjj really is a sport for primarily middle/upper class people.

edit: another good example would be theres like 6 academies in lake forest, which is all middle upper class and mostly white, and no academies in santa ana, which is mostly hispanic.

instructors want to make money.

middle upper class have more disposable income.

Free enterprise.

riddle solved.

but there is actually an academy in santa ana..... Gracie Barra has one there with black belt Ulpiano

there are many on that page that are not even listed at all. plus san diego is not even on there. there are so many schools down here, it is not even funny.

Dan can't you make the map viewable by all (url?) and then we can update it as a living document?

Who wants to go to work and risk being killed? not cool man. Plus if a gangbanger walks into your academy and calls you out because you are supposedly this tough fighter. Then he just shots you when you humiliate him.

I dont think so. So ya lets not start putting BJJ schools in gang infested areas.

providing you guys with a link seems to be harder than i thought. Ill try after i train tonight

Back