So it took an Olympic gold medalist to dethrone DJ...in a close fight...after failed first attempt

thats my point, a guy who excelled in a more competitive sport like olympic wrestling can switch over and excel at MMA too because he's a better athlete than most guys he will fight.

I honestly, until this day, don't know what it means "better athlete" in MMA terms,

That's what I meant man - trying their best to nullify the chances of this rematch

Yeah I know, I’m agreeing with ya.

But when he stops Pettis
And whatever other flyweight that’s on a winning streak, they’ll have no choice but to give him his rematch.

It’s coming. Get ready for some real hype

Yeah I know, I’m agreeing with ya.

But when he stops Pettis
And whatever other flyweight that’s on a winning streak, they’ll have no choice but to give him his rematch.

It’s coming. Get ready for some real hype

They'll have to choice not to renew his contract or stuff like that....

They'll have to choice not to renew his contract or stuff like that....

He’s still my son, damn it.

Give him some three round fights, watch Him fuck shit up there.

He’s still in His prime, baby.

He’s still my son, damn it.

Give him some three round fights, watch Him fuck shit up there.

He’s still in His prime, baby.

I agree, Even though 3 round DJ is still the same DJ...

one of the judge gave it to MM

MM was uninspired during this fight, it was a bad night for him
people make it look like MM is done, he could go for a third fight, tweak his gameplan and come on top

cejudo is a wrestling gold medalist, which translates to mma and most mma champions have always had specific backgrounds. plus he's been in mma as long now as mighty mouse had been by the time he became champion.
his success as a wrestler says nothing about guys from other sports coming in and doing the same.
What this does cement is that MMA is going to continue to be at least as heavily wrestling dominated as it is now and has been since the early 2000s. The fight structure, scoring, judging, everything favors wrestlers. Truly great wrestlers in MMA don't have to get their striking to be as technically perfect as elite boxers or kickboxers because the threat of their various takedowns, upper and lower body, along with their natural abilities in the clinch augment their standup and make it more dangerous. So as their standup games do improve they get exponentially more dangerous. Cormier Miocic, in fact, ended up being an effective example of this as well. Dillashaw, Cejudo, Mighty Mouse, Jones, Cormier, Khabib, GSP, Fedor, all of them had phenomenal positional grappling as a cornerstone to making them true all time greats.

What this does cement is that MMA is going to continue to be at least as heavily wrestling dominated as it is now and has been since the early 2000s. The fight structure, scoring, judging, everything favors wrestlers. Truly great wrestlers in MMA don't have to get their striking to be as technically perfect as elite boxers or kickboxers because the threat of their various takedowns, upper and lower body, along with their natural abilities in the clinch augment their standup and make it more dangerous. So as their standup games do improve they get exponentially more dangerous. Cormier Miocic, in fact, ended up being an effective example of this as well. Dillashaw, Cejudo, Mighty Mouse, Jones, Cormier, Khabib, GSP, Fedor, all of them had phenomenal positional grappling as a cornerstone to making them true all time greats.

Well, this is MMA, the game of many locations.

And who decides where the fight takes place? In which position, in which range? That's right - a wrestler.

It proves the sherdog A-level athlete theory. MMA is not the end goal for athletes, if people who excel at other sports suddenly switched to dedicating their life to MMA, some of them would quickly rise to the top here. Cejudo just proved it by going from getting finished in a minute by one of the MMA GOATs, to beating him 2 years later after he got more experience. A number of guys from the olympics, NBA and NFL could become UFC champs if they trained for a few years.

Hahahaha. You say that changing from basketball to MMA is same as changing from wrestling to MMA. How freaking stupid are you? Altho I must say that NBA guys would probably crack the top 10 in HW or in LHW pretty soon after they switched. Since LHW and HW talent pools are such a shit show.

Well, this is MMA, the game of many locations.

And who decides where the fight takes place? In which position, in which range? That's right - a wrestler.
I also think it's critical to remember that being able to dictate where the fight goes, the way the best MMA wrestlers can, makes you more dangerous as an MMA striker. In this sport they are not separate entities; they are intertwined. That's why I feel even with McGregor, if he was to try and work his way through MMA's smaller weight classes it would be only a matter of time before a wrestling phenom comes across who would shut down his standup, just completely shut down his movement and boxing. It can be an awfully unpopular opinion to express but I think it would be inevitable for a great wrestler to eventually implement some sort of complementary striking to go with it that would overwhelm McGregor. Mendes in fact came close; were it not for his crazy size and reach disadvantage and lack of preparation for that fight, he may have been even more effective. WW or large LW fighter who can fight in the style of Woodley with more refined jabs and hooks would be a thorough nightmare for the Irishman.

Back