So is Teddy Atlas as tough as he says?

Probably because all he does is bitch about how shitty boxing is when he's supposed to be commentating on the fight.
i just looked it up, i guess the pac/horn fight criticism was one factor then he argued with some guy , mark kriegel, on air. Most announcers have a shelf life of some kind. they fired ferdie pacheco from showtime, probably because they wanted a younger look. Howard cosell quit at a time when he should have, he was probably badmouthing boxing worse than anyone. Some of it was merited, Cosell was honest about a lot of things, he was right about a lot of things he said in his book about boxing. So when dick schapp said his departure was phoney and hypocritical, he was wrong, howard always talked shit, shit, he was howard.

Tyson was like 14 or something when Teddy put that gun to his head. That bit of the story always gets left out. Teddy had nothing to do with Tyson beyond the age of 15, I believe. Sounds pretty brave when you're imagining the crazy assed Mike Tyson of the 90s.
Tyson at 15 was terrifying. He was already koing grown men at 12.

Tyson at 15 was terrifying. He was already koing grown men at 12.
he was sparring pros by 16, knocking some out probably. For all that though, it's always interesting to remember, he didn't have a long ammie career, it's good, he still talks semi clearly as do other guys with limited ammie careers.

i just looked it up, i guess the pac/horn fight criticism was one factor then he argued with some guy , mark kriegel, on air. Most announcers have a shelf life of some kind. they fired ferdie pacheco from showtime, probably because they wanted a younger look. Howard cosell quit at a time when he should have, he was probably badmouthing boxing worse than anyone. Some of it was merited, Cosell was honest about a lot of things, he was right about a lot of things he said in his book about boxing. So when dick schapp said his departure was phoney and hypocritical, he was wrong, howard always talked shit, shit, he was howard.
Its one thing to offer an opinion. Its another thing to drive fans away from the sport you're there to promote as a job. He simply got to be too abrasive and annoying. Good riddance.

Its one thing to offer an opinion. Its another thing to drive fans away from the sport you're there to promote as a job. He simply got to be too abrasive and annoying. Good riddance.
i hear you, i couldn't stand watching him in the corner. still, let me shut up, i didn't pay 5000 to have my hero buried, he did.

as far as cosell, in his prime, the early 70's, he spoke out on boxing a lot, he was right. Later on, when he felt used and abused and disposed, he was even more bitter and I honestly think that was because he'd had a couple undiagnosed strokes. People that have had strokes are often just crazy mean about everything and they drive people away. I've had a couple older friends with strokes, one got involved with drugs so I couldn't tell if it was the MJ or the stroke but they just became really nasty, too nasty to be around. Howard was just like that in later interviews on every subject he spoke on.

i hear you, i couldn't stand watching him in the corner. still, let me shut up, i didn't pay 5000 to have my hero buried, he did.
Not saying he's an all around bad guy. Just saying that he doesn't seem to love boxing anymore, even though he uses it to pay the bills.

I'm sure it's both.
You should look into some Don King vs. Bob Arum info....Documented FBI instances.

You know there is more than one mob right not just different italian families and fractions?
King killed 2 people himself and got off for one and a pardon for the 2nd. Hes as well connected and protected as anyone
The mob ain't afraid of no don king. Gtfoh

Not saying he's an all around bad guy. Just saying that he doesn't seem to love boxing anymore, even though he uses it to pay the bills.
that was directed at me, i used to hate the guy but camacho's death hurt a lot and him doing something like that really touched me. He didn't have to of course and he'll never get the money back.

don said in some SI article, when asked if he had mob connections "they don't let N)*)**)) in the mob". He had some connections though.

don said in some SI article, when asked if he had mob connections "they don't let N)*)**)) in the mob". He had some connections though.
I'm sure he did. I'm just sayin...

Yes tbf Don King did shoulder press the mob and made it apologize before he put them back on the ground.

I think a lot of you guys are falling for his purposefully scripted chararectur persona. He legit plays that role to disarm and distract people from who he really is. It's not just to promote a fight.
Dude killed at least 2 people one with his bare hands/feet. Shot another. Put hits out on Meldrick Taylor & Bob Arum that were intercepted by Law enforcement. Is still mega rich and has gotten away with everything under the sun. Started as a numbers runner and loan shark.

"King’s ties to organized crime have long been suspected. During the 1980s, an FBI investigation led by agent Joe Spinelli, conducted a four-year probe into corruption in boxing. Spinelli would later write about the investigation in an issue of Sports Illustrated magazine. In the Nov. 3, 1991 New York Times, Dave Anderson wrote about Spinelli’s investigation and his revelations in the Sports Illustrated article.

“Acording to Spinelli,” wrote Anderson, “An undercover agent using the name Victor Quintana pretended to be a multimillionaire drug dealer who hoped to launder money as a boxing promotional partner. Quintana met with King early in 1983 after being ushered into the promoter's office by Michael Franzese, then a capo in the Colombo crime family, and the Rev. Al Sharpton, who acknowledges having been a FBI informant later but not at the time of the meeting. Shortly afterwards, Spinelli recalls, the FBI abruptly canceled its investigation. Two months earlier, South Korean lightweight Duk Koo Kim died after being knocked out by Ray Mancini in a title bout. According to Spinelli, the FBI office in Washington did not want to risk being involved in a boxing promotion that could possibly result in a boxer's death. Two months later, Quintana met Danny Pagano, a Genovese crime family soldier. When Pagano found out that Quintana had met King through Franzese, Pagano said, ‘What did you go to Michael for? King’s with us.’”

King was even called before a 1992 U.S. Senate committee to discuss his connection to mob boss John Gotti and Matthew “Matty the Horse” Ianniello. King invoked the Fifth Amendment, refusing to answer any questions. He was charged with tax evasion, but the case was dropped.

In 1983, Ohio Governor Jim Rhodes pardoned King’s 1966 manslaughter conviction (a move that was rumored to have been spurred by a King bribe)."

I think his documented history speaks for itself.

Tough guys don’t talk about how tough they are, they just are.

If they have to campaign for credibility, chances are they’re full of it.

Atlas is probably more in the "crazy" than "tough" category.

Thing is though, he's probably not going to come after you with fists, but a gun, as he has proven several times. So whether he's a good fighter doesn't really matter. He's definitely crazy enough to pull a gun on people and even plot their murder.

Atlas is probably more in the "crazy" than "tough" category.

Thing is though, he's probably not going to come after you with fists, but a gun, as he has proven several times. So whether he's a good fighter doesn't really matter. He's definitely crazy enough to pull a gun on people and even plot their murder.
that could be, I knew a guy, mechanic, who was in prison for stabbing a couple people. when he mentioned one stabbing incident, it just sounded like he was too skinny and knew it and had to have a way to defended himself. That, in addition to realizing from experience that if you're in the wrong places, you can easily get involved in situations like that. I liked the guy but I didn't know him all that well and also, I generally treat people very well, especially if they are helping me. but he had a pattern of stabbing people, in fact, unbeknownst to me, he was being sought for something or other when he was fixing my truck. Sadly, it turned out that he was stabbed by his very own brother last year. I find people fascinating but I don't really like a lot of the way people are. Anyway, ironic that he got a dose of his own medicine, by his very own brother, sad.

as far as talking, some do talk more than others, just a difference in people. I was watching a lot of the interviews with Michael Jai White, huge ego, seems nice but a huge fucking ego. He'd badmouthed Bruce Lee and said he could beat him, and he's also ran his mouth on radio and had an mma fighter challenge him and he made some excuse. Hard to say how well he can fight, he's done some but he seems more like the old martial artists I was around before ufc1, they were full of theories and critiques of everything they didn't do. He seems to be delusional in thinking that the old martial arts could beat mma, just like many of the older martial artists but they don't want to put their money where their mouth is. I'd been around them, you know, "I can bury you" I'd say "ok, good, let's do it" then they'd dissapear for months. To be honest with you, the mma'rs weren't that much different. But like war veterans, each man is different, some will talk about nothing else but their service, other's will say nothing, both can be either badasses or not.

Last edited:
Back