So, is Maia subbing Askren or what?

Lawler was able to pick Ben up and smash him. Former mw Maia might be able to take him down and gain top control.

Really looking forward to this one, should be interesting.

Generally, Maia does not submit elite fighters.

Munoz, Weidman and Shields all obliged grappling and even scored take downs on Maia and beat him. They are bigger then Askren of course, but he's the best wrestler of that bunch.

Maia spent minutes at a time on Masvidal's back and couldn't get anywhere, eeked out a split decision. If he taps out Ben, then we know Ben doesn't belong in the UFC.

I hope Maia slips/wiggles to back control and chokes the ever living death outta Asskren.

Most likely Ben will ride top-control to a super boring UD....

It definitely won't turn into a K1 match.

Askren is a much better wrestler than Shields, but his game is based more on scrambling.

It's possible that Maia catches a limb, but I'm still picking Askren by UD.

Maybe Maia hits a leg lock since he's been doing some training with the DDS guys.

Generally, Maia does not submit elite fighters.

Munoz, Weidman and Shields all obliged grappling and even scored take downs on Maia and beat him. They are bigger then Askren of course, but he's the best wrestler of that bunch.

Maia spent minutes at a time on Masvidal's back and couldn't get anywhere, eeked out a split decision. If he taps out Ben, then we know Ben doesn't belong in the UFC.
Thank you. Saved me the trouble.

How crazy would it be if Askren submitted Maia?

Maia was all over Rocco last fight and didn't really sniff a sub. I think Askren dominates him

Yeah, because rocco Hid with his back against the cage and refused to engage.

Maia is more of a dominating BJJ guy than a bottom guard player, he likes passing guard and working dominant positions until he gets a submission. Askren will want to put him on his back. Not a lot of people dared that approach. It will answer questions on both guys and I can't get a pick honestly.
Agreed. Its a shame Maia is kinda old, idk if his gas tank will hold

Maia is overall better, but he's quite old and looking for the way out while Askren is already feeling the rope around his neck and is looking to avenge his 3 seconds of fame. (..written with f or sh?)
I have Askren 30-27 with the boremost, safest display of wrestling ever seen from soneone not named Colby/Georges, expect no punches whatsoever.

Still I have my doubts whether Askren will feel comfy grappling against Maia as he would against Masvidal.

I'm sitting here thinking about the Woodley / Maia fight.

Does Woodley without striking or power (basically Askren) beat Maia ?? I don't know how. Maybe via backpacking for 5 rounds ??

Rooting for K1 Maia though.

Flying knee to open the second round (1st round would be too obvious)

Back