So is Jake Ellenberger just not that good?

He was suppose to be the next WW champ, what happened?

He rocked Lawler in the 3rd so it wasn't just a walk in the park for Robbie.

I have a sneaky suspicision Ellenberger's gonna retire or at least take a long hiatus.
He just doesn't seem to have the fight in him anymore, nor the belief he belongs in the cage with the top dogs.

I have a sneaky suspicision Ellenberger's gonna retire or at least take a long hiatus.
He just doesn't seem to have the fight in him anymore, nor the belief he belongs in the cage with the top dogs.

He said if he couldn't become a world champion he would move on and do something else, so it wouldn't surprise me

He froze again. He is good when he goes to fight. He showed his old self in the third. Oh and probably training with Ronda was not a good idea.

He froze again. He is good when he goes to fight. He showed his old self in the third. Oh and probably training with Ronda was not a good idea.

He should go back to Kings full time, I don't know why he would train with Edmond

Last edited:
when i first saw him i though this will be a top 4-5 guy for a long time with a chance to advance.... guess i was wrong =/

He just fought Robbie Lawler, not just any Robbie Lawler but the best he's ever looked. Give Ellenberger a break he didn't look nearly as bad as many other fighters afterwards.. Most people who stand in front of Robbie look like ground beef afterwards.

He should go back to Kings, I don't know why he would train with Edmond

Did he officially leave Kings? There are a ton of great gyms in the area, seems weird that he wouldn't go to one of them instead. I was looking at his corner during rounds wondering what the fuck he was thinking, Edmond and a Gracie aren't going to get it done. This isn't WMMA and he isn't Ronda.

I think the issue is that the WW division has evolved significantly recently with guys like Rory, Robbie and Maia pushing into what was previously a wrestler dominated division.

Ellenberger has a ton of power, a good chin and excellent wrestling, this made him well suited for beating fellow grapplers who lacked high level standup technique but ill prepaired for guys like Lawler and Rory.

Hendricks ultimately won the title because he has advanced more technically, if he'd still just have been a one punch slugger he wouldn't have beat Lawler.

I think the issue is that the WW division has evolved significantly recently with guys like Rory, Robbie and Maia pushing into what was previously a wrestler dominated division.

Ellenberger has a ton of power, a good chin and excellent wrestling, this made him well suited for beating fellow grapplers who lacked high level standup technique but ill prepaired for guys like Lawler and Rory.
Nailed it.

Ellenberger doesn't have the chops to hang with good strikers.

Did he officially leave Kings? There are a ton of great gyms in the area, seems weird that he wouldn't go to one of them instead. I was looking at his corner during rounds wondering what the fuck he was thinking, Edmond and a Gracie aren't going to get it done. This isn't WMMA and he isn't Ronda.

That's the thing, I'm not sure if he officially left so I don't want to say he did without being sure. He did spend his time training with the Glendale fight team for his upcoming fight with Lawler

But I agree. Kings MMA has a comprehensive list of elite fighters under it's stable, and has some of the best training you're going to get. I don't get what Ronda's boys have to offer either.

Yeah, he's not that good *sarcasm* He is fighting in the ufc ffs!

He'll be back, and once he knocks his next opponent out, you'll start a thread about how he can defeat Johny Hendricks.

His striking is highly overrated. He's a power puncher on the feet. But people around here hype him up as a much better technical striker than he is.

He's just a big right hand.

yes he is terrible. after losing to 2 of the top 5 fighters in the world, i am pretty sure that basically any guy, fighter or not, can beat him up

I don't blame Ellenberger too much, he was just outclassed by a better fighter.

Ellenberger is the new Denis Kang

But in all seriousness, the man is skilled and dangerous. He needs to hit his stride and show aggression. When he came out guns blazing in the third he hurt Lawler. Unfortunately it appeared he broke his hand. If he had attempted to blitz Lawler earlier who knows if the result would have been better. However, I think he learned from that and will be much more active in his next bout.

Guy was absolutely terrified of Robbie. This coming after the Rory fight where Dana even chewed him out and said he can't do it again. This was even worse. Was afraid to throw anything, kept getting tagged, and then gave up. Not good.

I hate to say it because i'm an Ellenberger fan but he just can't hang with the elite. He's a good fighter that can make a nice living fighting but he just doesn't have that extra bit of talent it takes to be Elite. His power and explosion is good but he's missing something kinda like Eric Silva. Silva and Ellenberger may be facing a loser leaves town match cuz they are both big names that need a big win. It sucks because at one time I believed both of them would be making serious title runs.

He's a top 10 WW for sure, he has skills, but probably he's one of those top 10 fighters that never will get a title match.

He has power in the hands and can close the distance well but technically hasn't the best kickboxing around
his wrestling is good but not stellar to rely only on that, and most of the time he's in Hendo mode and doesn't use his wrestling at all
he's a fast starter and an aggressor, but after the initial storm he becomes tentative and break mentally after getting pounded

EDIT: he's 29yo but he has almost 40 pro bouts and got kneed brutally a couple of times recently, I think he'll enter Marquardt world soon

Last edited:
Back