So is Jake Ellenberger just not that good?

Timeghoul

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guy was absolutely terrified of Robbie. This coming after the Rory fight where Dana even chewed him out and said he can't do it again. This was even worse. Was afraid to throw anything, kept getting tagged, and then gave up. Not good.

Ellenburger is a beast and very talented but robbie is a great fighter and the best he has ever been.

to be fair in the third round it seems like he broke his hand while throwing leather at Robbie... if so that kinda explains why he "gave up"... you know since taking a couple hard knees and punches to the face from Robbie fucking Lawler counts as giving up...

ya, guess its time for shields elleburger II

'just not that good'? A 'not that good' fighter would never have made it out of round 1 with Lawler. It's not that Ellenberger is not good. It's that Lawler is GREAT.

He crumbles against pressure in my opinion, and it looks like to top contenders as well.

He tried to scare robbie on the weigh in. When that failed he gave up and lost the fight before the fight happened

He seems to have some psychological issues in fights.

He's physically gifted but is very hesitant and doesn't pull the trigger anymore, it seems. Plus he seems to be a bit of a front runner.

to be fair in the third round it seems like he broke his hand while throwing leather at Robbie... if so that kinda explains why he "gave up"... you know since taking a couple hard knees and punches to the face from Robbie fucking Lawler counts as giving up...

I think the "giving up" part everyone was talking about was when Lawler jabbed him in the eye, and he looked at the ref and backed all the way up to the cage, THEN got knee'd

He's not on Robie's level technically at all. Ellenberger is a bit of a wild swinger and that shit was not gonna work against Robbie who seems to have come into his own.

He is 100% a front runner too. As the hammer he can be devastating but he's liable to shit the bed as the nail.

Yes, he is just not that good. He has the KO power to upset better fighters once in a while if he gets the right matchups. But he will never be a consistent top fighter.

Robbie is looking awesome these days, I really like his patience and allowing the knockouts to come to him instead of head hunting and always going for the knockout like back when he was a young lout.

he's good when aggressive, but if you make him tentative, its like he doesn't want it anymore

Ellenberger is great.He just lost to the best WW In the UFC.

I think the "giving up" part everyone was talking about was when Lawler jabbed him in the eye, and he looked at the ref and backed all the way up to the cage, THEN got knee'd

Oh okay that kinda clears things up. But still getting jabbed in the eye and backing up to recover wouldn't exactly constitute "giving up" in my books

He's an excellent top 10 WW that seems to falter against the best and lacks mental strength (when compared to the elite).

Lawler looked great and is the number 2 WW.

It's funny how the loser always looks like shit and the winner looks phenomenal. The Burger is legit. He's got great speed and power, with a strong wrestling base. He may have looked tentative against Lawler, but that's for good reason. WW Lawler 2.0 is an absolute handful for anyone, and it's no surprise given he's still the #1 contender. The Burger wades in with looping punches, that's his thing, and fucked if I'd be keen in doing that with Lawler either.

Ellenberger obviously has a reach disadvantage at WW, and it just so happens that Lawler is fantastic at moving oh of range. Cut the burger some slack.

Back