So is Chad Mendes going to beat Frank Edgar?

Edgar hasn't performed at HW either. Is it hard to say if he is championship material at HW?

Instead of making inane comments like this in the future how about you stick to things you know, like how to count to potato.

Dude, Edgar was handling Benson with relative ease...

Do you idiots even watch the fights or just come on Sherdog after reading about the outcome and just spout ridiculouslness?

Do you have any idea WHAT you're watching in a fight?
You sound like some 12 yr old boy.

no one on the first page mentioned the stupidity of claiming that mendes was winning the first round against aldo? :icon_conf

No, not joking at all.
Are you sure you're giving Edgar/Mendes a realistic look?
Frankie's TDs against Ben were anything but a strength issue.
When strength came into play in Ben/Frankie, there was no comparing that; Ben was stronger, and bigger.

that idiot you're talking to has his head up his ass.

td's =/= feat of strength. timing and technique is just as, if not more, important.

That's a Quantum leap from reality.
Actually, Frankie/Chad is an excellent match-up.
The skills, cardio, and speed are roughly even.
Intangibles, such as Big Fight experience, durability and recovery, I would lean toward Edgar, based on their Histories.

Their skills aren't even at all. Mendes is a very good, fast wrestler with mediocre stand up and solid GnP. Edgar is a good wrestler that proved his wrestling against much bigger and more accomplished fighters than what Mendes has faced outside of Aldo and has much better standup. If they fought Edgar would pick Mendes apart on their feet and they would probaly be either even in takedowns or Edgar would fare a little better since he's more creative in mixing his shot with punching combos (which is why he's had success against bigger guys like Gray and Benson). I've seen Edgar arguably beat Henderson which is something I cannot ever imagine seeing Mendes doing. Mendes isn't nearly as well rounded.

Last edited:
After Edgar dominates Aldo and Mendes beats Manny, do you think Money Mendes can beat Edgar for the title?

I think Money Mendes is a better wrestler and striker than Edgar. Also I dont want to say Aldo got lucky, but Mendes was clearly winning before the awkward shot and I think Mendes beats Aldo 7/10 times

I didn't realize that Mendes is fighting Gamburyan, thank you for posting. No disrespect to Manny, but was there no one else available to fight Mendes? I understand that they're trying to build Chad back up towards another title shot, but fighting a guy who is 1-3 at FW in UFC (with the only win being against 13-12-1 Omigawa, again no disrespect) does not make a strong case for Chad being a contender.

I know that Mendes' last opponent was a last minute replacement for Hacran Diaz, who seems to be hyped as somewhat of a prospect. Perhaps a better match-up would have been Mendes against Diaz, rescheduled for when Diaz is better (unless he's out for a long time)?

similar fighters, ATM frankie is a little bit better in all aspects

Edgar isn't beating Aldo, but he may face Mendes next. That would be a good fight, but Frankie takes it by UD.

Meanwhile, Aldo will tear the 155 division a new asshole.

Do you have any idea WHAT you're watching in a fight?
You sound like some 12 yr old boy.
People who actually watched the fight would see how in terms of strength at least, Edgar had no problems with Henderson (as I think Edgar himself pointed out at the post-fight conference, I think he'd know being the one in there) and even tossed him around a few times. A lot of people were going on about him being out-sized after the fight, and they likely didn't pay attention to what they are watching or didn't watch the fight.

That said, him possibly being stronger than Henderson doesn't mean he'd have the strength advantage against Mendes also.

no one on the first page mentioned the stupidity of claiming that mendes was winning the first round against aldo? :icon_conf

Agreed. Mendes wasn't.
Chad was not ready for Aldo, and it showed from the opening bell.

Their skills aren't even at all. Mendes is a very good, fast wrestler with mediocre stand up and solid GnP. Edgar is a good wrestler that proved his wrestling against much bigger and more accomplished fighters than what Mendes has faced outside of Aldo and has much better standup. If they fought Edgar would pick Mendes apart on their feet and they would probaly be either even in takedowns or Edgar would fare a little better since he's more creative in mixing his shot with punching combos (which is why he's had success against bigger guys like Gray and Benson). I've seen Edgar arguably beat Henderson which is something I cannot ever imagine seeing Mendes doing. Mendes isn't nearly as well rounded.

Mendes has outstanding top control and has very good defensive wrestling.
Just what has Edgar proved when wrestling those "more accomplished fighters"?
A TD establishing no control? Evidently, that approach was taken very lightly by the Judges in his last fights.
Defending a TD? Defensive "anything" is not a Scoring criteria.
Are you describing edgar's innocuous "bunch punching" and busy, busy striking style?
Even with a momentary knock down of Henderson, The Judging reflected the "not effective" consensus.
I like Frankie very much, but I'm not blind.
His fans fail to ask themselves "why was Edgar rewarded in Penn/Edgar 1 and Maynard/Edgar 2 for the same style that lost him the Henderson fights"?
The Judging criteria has changed. "Effective" is now the key word.
The fact is, Edgar Fans, Edgar lost twice to Ben. And if they fought again, and it was minute by minute the same as their second fight, Edgar would lose again.
Mendes has the ability to be MORE "effective" than Edgar. That is precisely why I would not take Mendes lightly when matched up against Edgar.

I find it quite interesting why so many dismiss Edgar's chances to beat Aldo. Hominick went 5 rounds with Aldo and was starting to get the better of him late in the fight. Why in the world wouldn't Edgar be able to do at least as well?

I find it quite interesting why so many dismiss Edgar's chances to beat Aldo. Hominick went 5 rounds with Aldo and was starting to get the better of him late in the fight. Why in the world wouldn't Edgar be able to do at least as well?

You're being obtuse.
Just as many of the Edgar faithful are delving in the ridiculous as well.
On paper, all Aldo.
Add the Edgar intangibles, and we have the makings of something epic, possibly.

why use the fifth round of the hominick fight as a measuring stick? that'd be like saying edgar has no chance if we only look at the rounds where he got dismantled by maynard and henderson.

You're being obtuse.
Just as many of the Edgar faithful are delving in the ridiculous as well.
On paper, all Aldo.
Add the Edgar intangibles, and we have the makings of something epic, possibly.

Don't be daft.

I'm not saying Edgar should be a favorite, but he is a great contender that will give Aldo a tough fight. And I don't think Aldo has better footwork or wrestling than Edgar.

Back