So I'm waiting to say goodbye to my savings...

Wtf TS, do you have hands and at least 5 fingers? I could literally teach my little sister to change the rotors, breaks, and flush the brake fluid with a youtube video or me guiding her. Maybe you should ask us for help instead of this lol? I don't know if you realize but it probably takes maybe 30 bucks in tools to get the job done. I don't see the similarity in random crap that happens as opposed to wear items on a car that will always require replacement at some point. It's not like you hit a curb and broke off your entire hub assembly or something.

Using youtube I rebuilt literally everything on my e36 when I was like 21, fuel lines, bushings, ball joints, every single control arm, every single coolant hose, water pump, injector seals, fuel pump, rebuilt the diff with a LSD unit from another e36 and brand new races and bearings, weldded the subframe reinforcement for the unibody, the subframe itself, the rear trailing arms, rebuilt the front and rear calipers with new pistons and seals from a e36 m3, etc. Working on cars is only as hard as you conceive it to be, most things take time and blueprinting and building an engine from the ground up while its a meticulous process, it isn't impossible for those who have the drive to learn, fail, fail, and fail again until they achieve.

I've probably destroyed a couple hundred in parts being a dumb ass, but it still saved me thousands instead of taking it to someone.

Brakes not breaks.
It is pretty common to replace the rotors if you live in an area that uses salt on the road in the winter because they rust. They used to resurface rotors and brake drums but the labor and waiting time along with lower priced rotors means it should be cheaper to replace. Without resurfacing or replacing the rotors, the brakes might start squealing. Unless you own some overpriced luxury brand, the prices for brake parts should be reasonable. The rear brakes on a front wheel drive car hardly do anything and should last a very long time.

Brake pads and rotors for my car for all 4 wheels cost $125.
the rear brakes on all cars hardly do anything, which is why brake bias is always towards the front and the rotors and calipers do almost all the breaking. This is why a lot of big power people switch to a smaller caliper, and rotor to fit a 15-inch slick and it has no difference in breaking power. Even running bigger brakes and rotors doesn't really increase braking power, it just allows you to get into the breaks that much more before they begin to fade.

Your right though, you could just do the fronts and you wouldn't notice much of a difference. I ran my old rotors on my e36 to the point where a couple MM was eaten away and they still braked fine, minus the slight travel increase. Pad compounds also make the 2nd biggest difference with that organic shit being the worst crap ever. If you like spongy breaks and brake fade run them organic compounds.

Im sure you know this, but for his benefit, most of the cost is not parts but labor. 80-90 per hour. Pros can probably change all 4 rotors and brake pads in an hour. 2 tops. But I'm sure they're teasing it out.
yeah but they still upsale all of that lol, and they charge you a base rate for shop time on that kind of service depeing on who he takes it to. If you take to a shop that isn't in the game to rape you for all your money, then they will only charge you for the time they spend if it's less than the book time.

straight up TS ill fucking facetime you through the whole thing if you go out and buy the tool and stuff to do the job and I'll guide you through the entire process

£900 to replace discs and pads with a service and MOT. Someones getting mugged.

I remember a garage wanting to charge me £200 for rear shocks. I got the parts myself for £30, saw a quick youtube video and realised its 2 bolts on each side and the new one just slides in.

Thanks very much for your replies fellas. I haven't been responding, but I have been reading them all.

Think I'll get some tools and see if I can tackle what was flagged up on the sheet as a caution. Battery and tyres I think.

I ended up paying £550 in the end, but not for the things that I expected.

Thanks very much for your replies fellas. I haven't been responding, but I have been reading them all.

Think I'll get some tools and see if I can tackle what was flagged up on the sheet as a caution. Battery and tyres I think.

First time is rough then it gets easier

if i lived in london, i wouldn't have a car lol. not sure if the threadstarter is living in london, though. in a big city like that, walk, take the metro, and maybe bike ride, if you're brave enough.

Open an Ethereum address I will send you a few bucks.

well to be honest I can get an entire LSx short block assembled and blueprinted by who is probably the best engine builder on the West Coast, same guy beats Street Outlaws pro mods in full chassis cars. Yet he only charges like 1.5k-2k USD to do that, some idiots might try to charge you twice that, yet that doesn't entail the same level of skill or attentiveness to your vehicle, nor that block will last as long as if the aforementioned guy built it.

And from what I understand the market rate in Europe is cheaper than what it is in the US, because I bought a strut bar and shock bar from GCF Fabrications because he was charging like literally 1/2-1/3 of what US-based people were charging.

The prices you've tossed at us make it seem like they understand you don't have much knowledge in regards to cats and they are taking you for a ride as a lot of mechanics in that position do.

What did they even bill you for? like those prices for what you need to be done don't add up at all. Because you are almost paying the same price for shop time my buddy with a 1500whp c6 zo6 pays when he needs 2-3 master mechanics at the top of GM in their respective locations to help him troubleshoot the car.

I'm certain at some point TS has paid for new muffler bearings and didn't bat an eye.

Btw holy hell is that expensive

Same shit here is 130 euros

Back