So I'm waiting to say goodbye to my savings...

Fuck I don't know, said that were going to change a few things, oils, fluids, spark plugs etc. Thought that was standard with a servicing.

This place is where I bought my car from and they are very well reviewed.

This may help you, my experience has been that the best place to get a car serviced is a garage that does work on taxis/minicabs. They are the most efficient and low cost available. It's almost an industry secret, they often don't advertise and look like shit because they deal with the taxi companies not regular customers, and yet there is no reason why they can't do your car as well. They just don't have to look for work and they churn it out.

Only go to the dealership if your car is worth a bit and you want to show a future buyer all the work was done by the manufacturer.

Vehicle repair places are crooks! The lot of them! (to speak your language)...

I recently got pads, rotors, a caliper, a synthetic oil change and a fog light... Cost me $900+! The reason I brought it in was to check a light that came on and they didn't even do that (and the brakes and oil)! Fucking mother fuckers!

Which part? I used to live in Ealing, but I'm around Brentford right now (my dealership is in Brentford, I live in Surrey). I have a tyre and MOT shop close to where I live, but my current shop sold me my car and for the first two years, were good to me. Last year was expensive though, and the price of this year's servicing has shot up. I'm not mechanically inclined at all and I don't have the equipment or space to store said equipment. Drawback of living in a studio.

With that said, I would like to work on my own car someday, when my living conditions are more pleasant. I think I may have to buy basic equipment after today is done as well. I trusted them, but I'm wondering if I've had my trust built up early, so that my costs can be shot up later.

They shouldn't. I guess I meant the brake pads and the disks. If they say that my brakes are worn, I'll take it as a red flag.

I have savings, but I am trying to build my life. I cannot have it all drained on something like this, especially during the pandemic, when my job is anything but secure. I work at Gatwick.

True. I had a boy like that growing up. Was my best friend until he passed. I'll probably get a dog once things are sorted on my end though. Easier to control and don't have to worry about cars or thieves.

Oh East London, I'm now in Essex.

Cost of living doesn't stop, it just gets worse, I'm 45 now and remember the good old days of less complex cars.

Fuck I don't know, said that were going to change a few things, oils, fluids, spark plugs etc. Thought that was standard with a servicing.

How old is the vehicle and how many miles do you have on it. Spark plugs today are usually good for at least 10 years and 100,000 miles. This article on a KIA Soul says every 105,000 miles. Look in your owners manual.
https://www.kiastore.com/kia-soul-maintenance-schedule-louisville-ky/

You're getting fucked. Bad. No lube, no reach around. Bad.

Roughly 600 pounds to get your breaks done last year? For breaks and pads? No way you should have needed 4 new rotors and even if you did that's crazy. Over a grand Canadian is lunacy for that job.

Edit: brakes, dammit

Last edited:

Roughly 600 pounds to get your breaks done last year? For breaks and pads? No way you should have needed 4 new rotors and even if you did that's crazy. Over a grand Canadian is lunacy for that job.

Im sure you know this, but for his benefit, most of the cost is not parts but labor. 80-90 per hour. Pros can probably change all 4 rotors and brake pads in an hour. 2 tops. But I'm sure they're teasing it out.

Im sure you know this, but for his benefit, most of the cost is not parts but labor. 80-90 per hour. Pros can probably change all 4 rotors and brake pads in an hour. 2 tops. But I'm sure they're teasing it out.
Yeah, 2 hours max if the tech has his own spot to work from. The dealership was going to charge a buddy $180 to rotate the tires on his 3500. He has a decent shop and did it in less than an hour.

I get it. Dealerships have crazy overhead, but they will always fuck you if they can. I was charged 60 to replace an air filter on my Tacoma that I just swapped in the week prior because it was on their list. I told them it was brand new and not to bother, then when I asked for it they said it was already in the garbage because if was no good. Was one of the few times I lost my temper in ages. Not because of the money, but the principle of the thing.

They mark up parts like crazy despite the fact they get them for cheaper than anywhere else too. Fuck em. Never take your car to a dealer unless it's for warranty work or something requiring proprietary diagnostic tools unavailable to generalists. Then be prepared to open up your wallet as well as your rear end if it's the latter.

Around here you're paying for their show rooms, location, licensing fees, inventory and image along with the work you're getting done. It's just not a smart way to waste your money.

Pretty much all of those can be changed yourself and its not too hard

Also fucking around with car is fun hobby.

Hilarious story i saw with new cars (2020 and after)

So guy has a car which has the long distance unlock thingy built in

Hilarious part is its under subscription

So if you want to use some long distance door unlock thingy you have to subscribe to some car shit with monthly pay lmao

Lol @ 350 quid to service a little Kia. Is it made of gold?

The fuck is a quid?

all I know is that every month without a car payment is $650 in my pocket to pay for the inevitable repairs.

Just walking around London, with my car getting servicing and MOT. Servicing is £350, MOT is £54 and I'll probably have to pay for four new tyres...

Servicing has skyrocketed for my little Kia. Servicing and MOT combined went from £220, to £250 the second year, then £900 to replace brakes and pads with servicing and MOT, and I'm expecting to pay at least £800 today for servicing, MOT and tyres. Any more than that and I'll be lost.

I'm not depressed, just resigned and begrudgingly accepting. I'm just wandering around Kew in the meantime, in a bit of a daze, praying within that nothing aside from what's been mentioned has been discovered, and the price doesn't skyrocket further.

I wonder what next year will look like...

No point to this thread. I just felt the urge to post something somewhere...

Learn how to do your brakes. It's not hard and you'll save a lot of money.

The fuck is a quid?

all I know is that every month without a car payment is $650 in my pocket to pay for the inevitable repairs.

he meant Squid.
In UK they pay with squids

Brakes not breaks.
It is pretty common to replace the rotors if you live in an area that uses salt on the road in the winter because they rust. They used to resurface rotors and brake drums but the labor and waiting time along with lower priced rotors means it should be cheaper to replace. Without resurfacing or replacing the rotors, the brakes might start squealing. Unless you own some overpriced luxury brand, the prices for brake parts should be reasonable. The rear brakes on a front wheel drive car hardly do anything and should last a very long time.

Brake pads and rotors for my car for all 4 wheels cost $125.

Brakes not breaks.
It is pretty common to replace the rotors if you live in an area that uses salt on the road in the winter because they rust. They used to resurface rotors and brake drums but the labor and waiting time along with lower priced rotors means it should be cheaper to replace. Without resurfacing or replacing the rotors, the brakes might start squealing. Unless you own some overpriced luxury brand, the prices for brake parts should be reasonable. The rear brakes on a front wheel drive car hardly do anything and should last a very long time.

Brake pads and rotors for my car for all 4 wheels cost $125.
Thanks fella. Sometimes auto correct jumps the gun. Them's the breaks.

Back