So I'm waiting to say goodbye to my savings...

Wrath of Foamy

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Just walking around London, with my car getting servicing and MOT. Servicing is £350, MOT is £54 and I'll probably have to pay for four new tyres...

Servicing has skyrocketed for my little Kia. Servicing and MOT combined went from £220, to £250 the second year, then £900 to replace brakes and pads with servicing and MOT, and I'm expecting to pay at least £800 today for servicing, MOT and tyres. Any more than that and I'll be lost.

I'm not depressed, just resigned and begrudgingly accepting. I'm just wandering around Kew in the meantime, in a bit of a daze, praying within that nothing aside from what's been mentioned has been discovered, and the price doesn't skyrocket further.

I wonder what next year will look like...

No point to this thread. I just felt the urge to post something somewhere...

Lol @ 350 quid to service a little Kia. Is it made of gold?

Lol @ 350 quid to service a little Kia. Is it made of gold?

Fuck I don't know, said that were going to change a few things, oils, fluids, spark plugs etc. Thought that was standard with a servicing.

This place is where I bought my car from and they are very well reviewed.

Elsa, when he meets new people:

Thats one hell of a handsome boy right there.
And dude knows how to give a good snuggle

tenor.gif

Fuck I don't know, said that were going to change a few things, oils, fluids, spark plugs etc. Thought that was standard with a servicing.

This place is where I bought my car from and they are very well reviewed.

How old is the car?

Are you having it done via a main dealer (KIA) or independent?

Main dealer, same one I purchased the car from.

I got a quote from my place down the road, £60 per tyre. I'll go there if the price from my current dealership is too much.

I'm just hoping that nothing else is wrong with the car. Shouldn't be. Feels fine, brakes were replaced last year and I only really commute to and from work.

What is MOT? Also never go to the dealer for service unless it's covered by warranty. They re at least 1.5x what independent shops charge.
Also, changing brakes and rotors are easy. Videos on YouTube walk you through it.
Changing your oil is something you should do yourself too. Same with basic maintenance like air filters, headlights, etc.

You can save you're self thousands over the life of ownership.

Feels fine, brakes were replaced last year and I only really commute to and from work.
Are they changing those same brakes? Unless you've driven 60k miles in the last year or your rotors are jagged like broken glass, they're scamming you.

and brakes and pads are the same thing...

Main dealer, same one I purchased the car from.

I got a quote from my place down the road, £60 per tyre. I'll go there if the price from my current dealership is too much.

I'm just hoping that nothing else is wrong with the car. Shouldn't be. Feels fine, brakes were replaced last year and I only really commute to and from work.

Find a good independent and get it serviced there, save you money....

Use a site like.
https://www.blackcircles.com/
Get the tires done yourself, review different manufacturers of tires you can save money there.

I'm from London.

Find a good independent and get it serviced there, save you money....

Use a site like.
https://www.blackcircles.com/
Get the tires done yourself, review different manufacturers of tires you can save money there.

I'm from London.

Which part? I used to live in Ealing, but I'm around Brentford right now (my dealership is in Brentford, I live in Surrey). I have a tyre and MOT shop close to where I live, but my current shop sold me my car and for the first two years, were good to me. Last year was expensive though, and the price of this year's servicing has shot up. I'm not mechanically inclined at all and I don't have the equipment or space to store said equipment. Drawback of living in a studio.

With that said, I would like to work on my own car someday, when my living conditions are more pleasant. I think I may have to buy basic equipment after today is done as well. I trusted them, but I'm wondering if I've had my trust built up early, so that my costs can be shot up later.

Are they changing those same brakes? Unless you've driven 60k miles in the last year or your rotors are jagged like broken glass, they're scamming you.

and brakes and pads are the same thing...

They shouldn't. I guess I meant the brake pads and the disks. If they say that my brakes are worn, I'll take it as a red flag.

Learn to do your own work. Kias are extremely extremely simple cars.

And then learn to find a way to have more than $1,000 in your savings

I have savings, but I am trying to build my life. I cannot have it all drained on something like this, especially during the pandemic, when my job is anything but secure. I work at Gatwick.

No but you can cuddle it and you feel better

True. I had a boy like that growing up. Was my best friend until he passed. I'll probably get a dog once things are sorted on my end though. Easier to control and don't have to worry about cars or thieves.

Just walking around London, with my car getting servicing and MOT. Servicing is £350, MOT is £54 and I'll probably have to pay for four new tyres...

Servicing has skyrocketed for my little Kia. Servicing and MOT combined went from £220, to £250 the second year, then £900 to replace brakes and pads with servicing and MOT, and I'm expecting to pay at least £800 today for servicing, MOT and tyres. Any more than that and I'll be lost.

I'm not depressed, just resigned and begrudgingly accepting. I'm just wandering around Kew in the meantime, in a bit of a daze, praying within that nothing aside from what's been mentioned has been discovered, and the price doesn't skyrocket further.

I wonder what next year will look like...

No point to this thread. I just felt the urge to post something somewhere...
I feel you, my savings never build up because either the dog gets sick or my house falls down again

I feel you, my savings never build up because either the dog gets sick or my house falls down again

My 20's were like that. I was on a lesser wage, I'd save around £1000 over months of work and then some bullshit would come up and swipe most of it.

Back