So i'm starting Muay Thai for the first time tonight...

MTA is one of the most legit gyms in the USA. The first MT gym established in this country. I used to train there, don't worry. You will do sparring rotations outside the ring, even I was a bit experienced but the sparring is really light. For serious sparring you wanna set it up with somebody, and you're not ready for that. This is just part of the 1.5 hour class after pads, kick shields, technique, bagwork etc etc.

The sparring is VERY light and most likely you will just do stop-go and 1-2 step drills with your partner. When you rotate with an experienced guy ask him to work techniques with you, more of a technical exchange and learning for you since you are new and not really sparring. Plus it's only for what, 2-3 rounds if I remember right? It's not a big deal and you get to try out some techniques against a moving target... good for the mind. :)

Don't listen to these guys saying Kru Puk is a "moron" or doesn't know how to train. He's one of the most respect Krus on this side of the coast and huge for us in the SoCal Muay Thai scene. Pro Thai fighters go to his gym to prepare for fights in SoCal quite often.

Did you do any martial art before Muay Thai?
Best of luck, hopefully I'll stop by MTA sometime in the future when I need more sparring partners.

Kru Puk came in 1978, but Master Chai Surisute (head of TBA) came in 1968. I'm just commenting on what you said about the "first established gym in america." Chai was definitely teaching here a good 10 years prior, but maybe he never opened an official gym which would make what you said still true. Not sure. I know he was mostly doing the backyard/garage style training in the beginning. No knock on either instructor, i'm just merely putting this out there for the sake of curiosity on the history.

Kru Puk came in 1978, but Master Chai Surisute (head of TBA) came in 1968. I'm just commenting on what you said about the "first established gym in america." Chai was definitely teaching here a good 10 years prior, but maybe he never opened an official gym which would make what you said still true. Not sure. I know he was mostly doing the backyard/garage style training in the beginning. No knock on either instructor, i'm just merely putting this out there for the sake of curiosity on the history.

Thanks for the information as I wasn't aware of that. But doesn't matter to me really, who was here first or last, the point is Puk is a really good teacher and his gym is old-school.

I'm sick of these idiots posting "your teacher is a retard, find a different gym, etc" because maybe they are all new or something they don't know the history of MTA at all and to just blatantly disrespect someone like that annoys the hell out of me.

Even though I don't train at MTA anymore.

Thanks for the information as I wasn't aware of that. But doesn't matter to me really, who was here first or last, the point is Puk is a really good teacher and his gym is old-school.

I'm sick of these idiots posting "your teacher is a retard, find a different gym, etc" because maybe they are all new or something they don't know the history of MTA at all and to just blatantly disrespect someone like that annoys the hell out of me.

Even though I don't train at MTA anymore.

well, they were only saying that because of the fact he said you would be sparring the first day. this practice isn't exactly the safest for members of the gym simply because you lack any tools when you first start out and stand to get hurt or maybe hurt your partner. however, from the post it seems that its not full on sparring that he was referring to.

anyway, why aren't you there anymore?

I sparred in my first session, 3 minute rounds rotating through partners. Pretty light stuff and the partners would tag lightly if I left a gap and throw some light leg kicks. I don't see how this makes a gym bad. I'd have thought it was better for confidence going straight into sparring and feeling yourself getting more and more comfortable fighting, rather than training for 3-6 months on pads and technique maybe 3-4 times a week then in your first sparring session turtling up and getting a beating even though you thought you were coming along well.

well, they were only saying that because of the fact he said you would be sparring the first day. this practice isn't exactly the safest for members of the gym simply because you lack any tools when you first start out and stand to get hurt or maybe hurt your partner. however, from the post it seems that its not full on sparring that he was referring to.

I sparred in my first session, 3 minute rounds rotating through partners. Pretty light stuff and the partners would tag lightly if I left a gap and throw some light leg kicks. I don't see how this makes a gym bad. I'd have thought it was better for confidence going straight into sparring and feeling yourself getting more and more comfortable fighting, rather than training for 3-6 months on pads and technique maybe 3-4 times a week then in your first sparring session turtling up and getting a beating even though you thought you were coming along well.

look at what i bolded in the quotes. as long as its controlled and very light i don't see a problem with it too much. i personally think you should have at least a solid month of technique and basics before you do light sparring, but again that's my opinion. back to the post at hand though, my post refers to the fact that the FadeIntoViolenc stated it would be light sparring and drilling. there are gyms out there that just throw their newbies right in with the wolves to get their ass beat though which i think is bullshit. these are the gyms that i would look out for. unless, of course, the newbie came up in there talking some shit.

This this this. For me, the only way I could see my own progress was from sparring. I could feel a little difference with shadowboxing or bag work, but I was always unsure if it was real or if I was imagining it. Then I'd go spar and realize I was landing more shots, blocking more shots, not shutting down and turtling every time someone threw a combo, and so on. The motivation I got out of that was way stronger than anything else. I'm not knocking places that have you wait to spar, I just don't see how light taps are going to be a problem for a beginner. Besides, I often see people talking on this forum about how some guys are great on pads/bags and then terrible when they spar - seems like low-power sparring from day one would go a long way towards avoiding that.

I didn't spar for about 2 months, up until then it was just learning the fundamentals and doing pad / bag work and making sure form was correct.

Sparring on the first day?

Your instructor is a fucking moron.

Not quite.

It isn't like his instructor will throw him to their best fighter for a five round beat down...

Try stepping in sometime, it's where the most learning occurs.

well...its nice to know this forum is a bit more supportive than the Heavyweights. man...not that i didnt think i would be before i started, but i am hooked! the only thing i have to compare it to physically in my life would be "hell" week during baseball (which im sure is not as hard as hell week for other sports). people are right in the sense that it is a different type of cardio than running, etc. i wasnt winded/out of breath at the end of the hour, but i was damn tired! i showed up about 45 minutes early to kinda get a feel of what was going on. was watching the previous class for a bit and then went over to Kru Santi and introduced myself. he had this younger guy show me some basic punches and kicks on the heavy bag for a bit until class started at 9. here's what it consisted of:

1) started off with basic stretching exercises for maybe 5 minutes (nothing i hadnt really done in baseball)

2) everyone got in a circle and started running counter clockwise. we varied it up with straight running, alternating knees, shuffling facing both directions, 1/2 combos, running backwards, etc.

3) next, we grouped off into 3 different groups at various "stations". i was put in a group of 4 (with presumably the newest/weakest in the class). we basically took turns punching a heavy bag with 5 lb weights in our hands (10x each hand), kicking a pad held against a pole from behind by someone for low kicks (someone does their right leg and someone else works their left from the other side) and finally kicking a pad held mid height by someone with two people work their right/left leg kicks. we rotated through all the stations and worked on the pad from both sides at each one.

4) next, Kru Santi had everyone pair off...while he had me work with him. i dont know what they were called, but he had me hitting these things he was holding that looked like paddles. first with 1/2 combos, then high/mid kicks, right/left knees and finally elbows. these were done in three minute round intervals, i think (lost track of time, really lol). in between each round, we had to drop down and either do 20 situps or 10 squats. as far as i can remember, we did 6 rounds of this.

5) finally, he had everyone pair off for light sparring work out of the right. he paired me up with one of the better guys there but the dude took it real light on me. basically worked on checking a kick, then throwing a couple teeps to the other guy's body. we switched 2 times after that...my last partner with this mexican girl. was pretty funny, because one time i had my guard up but not tight enough. she punched my guard and my own thumb poked me in the eye lol.

6) the very last thing we did was lining up by the heavy bag near one of the ring posts. everyone lined up in two lines and each person went up with someone else and alternated kicks to the bag on whatever side they were one. then you went to the back of the other line and worked your other leg.

a couple final points:

1) make sure you buy gloves with velcro on the wrist area...was a bitch to put on these Everlast gloves i got (gonna return them today)

2) make sure you get the longer 180" wraps...i picked up 108" not knowing and realized they werent long enough when i was practicing taping up my hands the night before

i have to say that it was pretty grueling, which was understandable since i was only running 3 or 4 miles a week for the last month. i came out of it with no damage, save for a slow growing bruise on the inside of my right knee/thigh. im gonna take today off and try to make it back in there saturday. my plan is to go 3 times a week and then work my way up to 5x when my conditioning is right. thanks for all the replies to this thread...some good insight on here. my internet was down at home last night, so i didnt get to reply right away. was honestly a bit surprised at how many posts were on here this morning. sorry for the long post, but i wanted to give other people who were thinking about doing it their first time a good idea of what it entailed.

at Muay Thai Academy in North Hollywood. from speaking with the guy at the gym yesterday about how a class session goes, he informed me that sparring is involved (even on the first day). im not opposed to getting hit in the head, but i was just wondering if this is normal for most gyms. he said people go at about 50% and they'll stop it if it goes too hard. seems like it will be stretching, ab work, pad work and then finally sparring at the end. what else can i expect on my first day (besides pain tomorrow)?

id say that im 20% nervous / 80% excited for this to finally start...

Sounds like REALLY REALLY easy sparring. Your sparring partner will likely know your brand new and just help you out.

If you hop in a ring and start beating on each other, find another gym ASAP.

Sounds like REALLY REALLY easy sparring. Your sparring partner will likely know your brand new and just help you out.

If you hop in a ring and start beating on each other, find another gym ASAP.

hehe...i just posted right before you did about what i went through last night. i agree...if i was just getting pounded on, id probably be questioning my motivation for the sport. in all actuality, it was just real light sparring and definitely a good experience

I moved to downtown so I train at The Yard now.

well don't be afraid of sparring on your first day, i'm sure your partner will be reasonable.
also from my experience, normal sparring should be light and technical anyway, at least in the gyms i trained and train.

I remember how nervous I was my first class...I had actually started out with privates for 6months...helped my learning curve so much, just wasn't cheap. thing I had the most trouble with was holding pads for others as by doing privates, i never held pads lol

Anyways most schools I imagine have certain classes that focus more on technique, fight technique and those that are more sparring centric

Never heard of sparring on the first day, for someone with no experience.

I could see it for someone with some experience, if perhaps the coach wants to get a sense of where you're at in your training.

MTA is quality as far as I know....

well...its nice to know this forum is a bit more supportive than the Heavyweights. man...not that i didnt think i would be before i started, but i am hooked! the only thing i have to compare it to physically in my life would be "hell" week during baseball (which im sure is not as hard as hell week for other sports). people are right in the sense that it is a different type of cardio than running, etc. i wasnt winded/out of breath at the end of the hour, but i was damn tired! i showed up about 45 minutes early to kinda get a feel of what was going on. was watching the previous class for a bit and then went over to Kru Santi and introduced myself. he had this younger guy show me some basic punches and kicks on the heavy bag for a bit until class started at 9. here's what it consisted of:

1) started off with basic stretching exercises for maybe 5 minutes (nothing i hadnt really done in baseball)

2) everyone got in a circle and started running counter clockwise. we varied it up with straight running, alternating knees, shuffling facing both directions, 1/2 combos, running backwards, etc.

3) next, we grouped off into 3 different groups at various "stations". i was put in a group of 4 (with presumably the newest/weakest in the class). we basically took turns punching a heavy bag with 5 lb weights in our hands (10x each hand), kicking a pad held against a pole from behind by someone for low kicks (someone does their right leg and someone else works their left from the other side) and finally kicking a pad held mid height by someone with two people work their right/left leg kicks. we rotated through all the stations and worked on the pad from both sides at each one.

4) next, Kru Santi had everyone pair off...while he had me work with him. i dont know what they were called, but he had me hitting these things he was holding that looked like paddles. first with 1/2 combos, then high/mid kicks, right/left knees and finally elbows. these were done in three minute round intervals, i think (lost track of time, really lol). in between each round, we had to drop down and either do 20 situps or 10 squats. as far as i can remember, we did 6 rounds of this.

5) finally, he had everyone pair off for light sparring work out of the right. he paired me up with one of the better guys there but the dude took it real light on me. basically worked on checking a kick, then throwing a couple teeps to the other guy's body. we switched 2 times after that...my last partner with this mexican girl. was pretty funny, because one time i had my guard up but not tight enough. she punched my guard and my own thumb poked me in the eye lol.

6) the very last thing we did was lining up by the heavy bag near one of the ring posts. everyone lined up in two lines and each person went up with someone else and alternated kicks to the bag on whatever side they were one. then you went to the back of the other line and worked your other leg.

a couple final points:

1) make sure you buy gloves with velcro on the wrist area...was a bitch to put on these Everlast gloves i got (gonna return them today)

2) make sure you get the longer 180" wraps...i picked up 108" not knowing and realized they werent long enough when i was practicing taping up my hands the night before

i have to say that it was pretty grueling, which was understandable since i was only running 3 or 4 miles a week for the last month. i came out of it with no damage, save for a slow growing bruise on the inside of my right knee/thigh. im gonna take today off and try to make it back in there saturday. my plan is to go 3 times a week and then work my way up to 5x when my conditioning is right. thanks for all the replies to this thread...some good insight on here. my internet was down at home last night, so i didnt get to reply right away. was honestly a bit surprised at how many posts were on here this morning. sorry for the long post, but i wanted to give other people who were thinking about doing it their first time a good idea of what it entailed.

Aside from #3, this is very similar to my early experiences at my gym. My only question would be, did you get some one-on-one time to learn techniques? It seems odd that they'd have you doing mid/high kicks, elbows, and knees on your first day, but maybe that's normal.

look at what i bolded in the quotes. as long as its controlled and very light i don't see a problem with it too much. i personally think you should have at least a solid month of technique and basics before you do light sparring, but again that's my opinion. back to the post at hand though, my post refers to the fact that the FadeIntoViolenc stated it would be light sparring and drilling. there are gyms out there that just throw their newbies right in with the wolves to get their ass beat though which i think is bullshit. these are the gyms that i would look out for. unless, of course, the newbie came up in there talking some shit.

Wasn't aimed at you, aimed at the poster who just called the instructor a "f*cking moron"

learn to read buddy. It was explained as being more technical sparring than actual fight sparring. I don't know much about this gym, but if your research and friend highly recommended it, I'd go ahead and just take a few sessions and see how you like it.

I think Muay Thai is actually one of the more hardcore martial arts you can learn, so I hope you realize that it's going to be painful at times, but definitely a hell of a lot of fun.

I started Muay Thai earlier this year for the first time, just to get into shape and see what it's like. I ended up wanting to fight, and got my first fight in July. I Lost, but I still had a lot of fun. The best part is, I want another fight!!!

It doesn't matter. Someone comeing in with no experience shouldn't be sparring no matter how controlled its suppost to be. At my gym all you do is learn footwork, defense, and hands for the first 3 months of training.

quick question...for the guys that are saying find another gym, do you guys train MT? just curious

this gym was originally recommended to me by my friend who trains and fights (amateur) out of Fairtex SF...he has some insight into the art, so i'm just wondering what your backgrounds were.

Hey dude, I trained at Fairtex SF and they (the head trainers) did NOT reccomend MTA when i moved down here. They reccommended another school in the valley by name and thats where i went.

I wont say the school name but to repeat the head trainers at fairtex sent me to the Kru i study with now.

And neither of those schools would allow a beginner to spar on day 1..

Back