So i'm starting Muay Thai for the first time tonight...

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Paradigm, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

at Muay Thai Academy in North Hollywood. from speaking with the guy at the gym yesterday about how a class session goes, he informed me that sparring is involved (even on the first day). im not opposed to getting hit in the head, but i was just wondering if this is normal for most gyms. he said people go at about 50% and they'll stop it if it goes too hard. seems like it will be stretching, ab work, pad work and then finally sparring at the end. what else can i expect on my first day (besides pain tomorrow)?

id say that im 20% nervous / 80% excited for this to finally start...

EDIT: here is what actually happened that first night

well...its nice to know this forum is a bit more supportive than the Heavyweights. man...not that i didnt think i would be before i started, but i am hooked! the only thing i have to compare it to physically in my life would be "hell" week during baseball (which im sure is not as hard as hell week for other sports). people are right in the sense that it is a different type of cardio than running, etc. i wasnt winded/out of breath at the end of the hour, but i was damn tired! i showed up about 45 minutes early to kinda get a feel of what was going on. was watching the previous class for a bit and then went over to Kru Santi and introduced myself. he had this younger guy show me some basic punches and kicks on the heavy bag for a bit until class started at 9. here's what it consisted of:

1) started off with basic stretching exercises for maybe 5 minutes (nothing i hadnt really done in baseball) followed by 2 or 3 rounds of jumproping with sets of 20 crunches/10 squats in between rounds

2) everyone got in a circle and started running counter clockwise. we varied it up with straight running, alternating knees, shuffling facing both directions, 1/2 combos, running backwards, etc.

3) next, we grouped off into 3 different groups at various "stations". i was put in a group of 4 (with presumably the newest/weakest in the class). we basically took turns punching a heavy bag with 5 lb weights in our hands (10x each hand), kicking a pad held against a pole from behind by someone for low kicks (someone does their right leg and someone else works their left from the other side) and finally kicking a pad held mid height by someone with two people work their right/left leg kicks. we rotated through all the stations and worked on the pad from both sides at each one.

4) next, Kru Santi had everyone pair off...while he had me work with him. i dont know what they were called, but he had me hitting these things he was holding that looked like paddles. first with 1/2 combos, then high/mid kicks, right/left knees and finally elbows. these were done in three minute round intervals, i think (lost track of time, really lol). in between each round, we had to drop down and either do 20 situps or 10 squats. as far as i can remember, we did 6 rounds of this.

5) finally, he had everyone pair off for light sparring work out of the right. he paired me up with one of the better guys there but the dude took it real light on me. basically worked on checking a kick, then throwing a couple teeps to the other guy's body. we switched 2 times after that...my last partner with this mexican girl. was pretty funny, because one time i had my guard up but not tight enough. she punched my guard and my own thumb poked me in the eye lol.

6) the very last thing we did was lining up by the heavy bag near one of the ring posts. everyone lined up in two lines and each person went up with someone else and alternated kicks to the bag on whatever side they were one. then you went to the back of the other line and worked your other leg.

a couple final points:

1) make sure you buy gloves with velcro on the wrist area...was a bitch to put on these Everlast gloves i got (gonna return them today)

2) make sure you get the longer 180" wraps...i picked up 108" not knowing and realized they werent long enough when i was practicing taping up my hands the night before

i have to say that it was pretty grueling, which was understandable since i was only running 3 or 4 miles a week for the last month. i came out of it with no damage, save for a slow growing bruise on the inside of my right knee/thigh. im gonna take today off and try to make it back in there saturday. my plan is to go 3 times a week and then work my way up to 5x when my conditioning is right. thanks for all the replies to this thread...some good insight on here. my internet was down at home last night, so i didnt get to reply right away. was honestly a bit surprised at how many posts were on here this morning. sorry for the long post, but i wanted to give other people who were thinking about doing it their first time a good idea of what it entailed.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Sparring on the first day?

Your instructor is a fucking moron.

3. dtravis92

dtravis92 Orange Belt

Most gyms wont let you spar right away. However since you would be a beginner maybe you will be doing situational sparring, for example something like just throwing jabs at each other.

For advice i would say this : keep your hands up, try to stay as calm as possible when the punches are coming, throw straight punches not wild ones, and don't be afraid to ask your partner to slow their punches down or take some power off. You should also make sure to go slower, because if you are throwing fast or hard they will come back with the same intensity you gave them.

4. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

i thought it was odd as well also when i read reviews online, but it seems like a legit Muay Thai gym from asking around. i thought you didnt spar for like 3-6 months when starting. you could be right or perhaps it was a misinterpretation due to the language barrier. id like to think they are not morons due to their experience levels...i guess we'll find out tonight

KRU PUK Muay Thai of America

5. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

This. If your instructor makes you spar in your first training session, find another club.

6. Juggernaut63

Juggernaut63 Green Belt

good luck with the sparring

7. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

quick question...for the guys that are saying find another gym, do you guys train MT? just curious

this gym was originally recommended to me by my friend who trains and fights (amateur) out of Fairtex SF...he has some insight into the art, so i'm just wondering what your backgrounds were.

8. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

I train Muay Thai but I don't fight in competitions.

9. FadeIntoViolenc

FadeIntoViolenc Orange Belt

MTA is one of the most legit gyms in the USA. The first MT gym established in this country. I used to train there, don't worry. You will do sparring rotations outside the ring, even I was a bit experienced but the sparring is really light. For serious sparring you wanna set it up with somebody, and you're not ready for that. This is just part of the 1.5 hour class after pads, kick shields, technique, bagwork etc etc.

The sparring is VERY light and most likely you will just do stop-go and 1-2 step drills with your partner. When you rotate with an experienced guy ask him to work techniques with you, more of a technical exchange and learning for you since you are new and not really sparring. Plus it's only for what, 2-3 rounds if I remember right? It's not a big deal and you get to try out some techniques against a moving target... good for the mind. :)

Don't listen to these guys saying Kru Puk is a "moron" or doesn't know how to train. He's one of the most respect Krus on this side of the coast and huge for us in the SoCal Muay Thai scene. Pro Thai fighters go to his gym to prepare for fights in SoCal quite often.

Did you do any martial art before Muay Thai?
    Best of luck, hopefully I'll stop by MTA sometime in the future when I need more sparring partners.

10. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

this is exactly what I was looking for...thanks for the insight. no previous formal MA experience experience here. i respect my friend who referred me here to this gym and from my own research, it definitely seems legit. my whole concern was that it would be too "hardcore" for a beginner, but im fairly athletic and have good cognitive skills so i think i'll be ok. have been running 1-3 miles a day a few times a week for the last 5 weeks, so my cardio will almost certainly be lacking. i'll be sure to post my experience tonight after my class.

11. FadeIntoViolenc

Focus on technique not power or speed. All that stuff will come naturally with time. Technique/form is the most important thing.

12. dayroc

dayroc White Belt

Sparring? i doubt it is sparring, i'm sure it's just partner work. Dont stress go in and check it out, you dont have to do anything you dont want too.

13. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

Prepare for sore thighs - the first leg kick is gonna be painful lol.
    Most importantly pay attention and have fun.

14. BWC

BWC Purple Belt

Well I seriously doubt you're going to fighting at Lumpinee stadium level you're first day. I actually believe sparring early is a good idea. Of course very lightly and under close observation. Get ready to have some fun..

15. HumanBender

HumanBender Yellow Belt

Being nervous is normal. I was nervous as hell before I started sparring, then I found being hit is not so bad and sparring is fun! Dont expect too much from yourself the first day and try to stay calm. Youll get good with time.

16. IronTyson

IronTyson White Belt

How did you do?

17. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

"Sparring" can mean so many different things. I was doing very light sparring almost right away when I started, by which I mean I'd partner up and we'd throw really low-power jabs and crosses. It was fine, and while I'm not that experienced in MT I'm glad I was doing that so soon because it helped me get over the turtling reflex. Hell, we didn't even make contact half the time, but just having punches coming towards my face helped a lot. If you take a hit that hurts, ask the guy to power down. If you take another, just stop sparring him. So yeah, I wouldn't worry.

18. FadeIntoViolenc

I hope you had fun! Lemme know how you did, I don't mind helping you answer any more questions about MT or other stuff. You can PM me anytime!

Take care now.

19. Craftster

Craftster Yellow Belt

Sparring on your first class, find a different gym.

20. EasternWind

EasternWind Blue Belt

learn to read buddy. It was explained as being more technical sparring than actual fight sparring. I don't know much about this gym, but if your research and friend highly recommended it, I'd go ahead and just take a few sessions and see how you like it.

I think Muay Thai is actually one of the more hardcore martial arts you can learn, so I hope you realize that it's going to be painful at times, but definitely a hell of a lot of fun.

I started Muay Thai earlier this year for the first time, just to get into shape and see what it's like. I ended up wanting to fight, and got my first fight in July. I Lost, but I still had a lot of fun. The best part is, I want another fight!!!