So I'm not too good with setting these contest things up...

Decide the rules; Captains are picked by age.

:D

So I pick Carnal, FatWilhelm, DevilsSon, and Standard.

I'm down but it'd only work if it was really organized and shit

you should do it so that if theres 3 people. One person has to a have a total below X, one between X and Y, and one great than Y.

That way the more experienced lifters can help out those below, and they'll all work together to improve.

How about 3 man teams, one under 185 lbs, one under 220, one over? Randomlly assigned based on who wants to participate. Pick three lifts: bench, dead, and squat are the most obvious, and then post starting lifts and the team with the biggest % improvement in their total is the winner. Could be for a month or two. Everyone could post their 1RM and then start.

I like the draftidea.
First we decide what we compete in.
Shouldn't be something like squat or deadlift as the differences in numbers are just too big among the members (Even in 6 men teams one very strong member could make all the difference here).
MAybe a combination of a lift that favors more the big guys and one that favors more the smaller guys.
Like: Weight added for dips 3RM (as it is weight added and not total weight it favors the smaller guys) + single hand overhead press. Another option could be weight added at pullups 3RM x 2 + 3RM strict barbell overheadpress (the numbers of the pullup added weight are doubled so that the numbers are about equal to the OHP).
Then everyone who wants to participate posts their current number in the chosen lift(s).
Then some regulars are declared captains and start to pick their members while the weakest captain gets first pick, picks one member for his team, then the next captain and so on...

There needs to be someone in charge of setting this up... do we have anyone yet? Because it will be a mess if everyone tries to do it together.

S&P Summer Games?

Outstanding idea.

Good job to Krossinc for (unknowlingly) coming up with the idea. Cookies for everyone.

I like the 3-man team idea better than a 6-man... I think 6-man teams would get a little chaotic.

So many different ideas.

Personally, I think a contest made up of 3-man teams and seeing who can make the most improvement in a given lift would be the most fair.

So instead of adding total numbers together... make it the sum of their improvements? That wouldn't be too bad since it would make it more balanced.

So instead of adding total numbers together... make it the sum of their improvements? That wouldn't be too bad since it would make it more balanced.

It would prevent having the teams stacked. It would probably even favor the more inexperienced lifters, too, which would make for a more interesting contest.

Good idea. This would lead to a lot more coaching in the training logs.

It would prevent having the teams stacked. It would probably even favor the more inexperienced lifters, too, which would make for a more interesting contest.

And it would make us newer lifters, want to work harder, and have more encouragement to stick with it. Great idea.

agreed... so who is in charge of setting up this bad boy?

agreed... so who is in charge of setting up this bad boy?

I'd like someone who has had some experience with these kind of contests to maybe help set it up, like Donut or Cap'n, if they could.

I suppose the next step is to pick a lift. I'd prefer it be one of the Big 3...since everyone performs them. An obscure lift just might not be the focus of everyone here. So if we could get a rough vote for which of the big 3 to do...

Next step will be select the team leaders and then have them each pick 2 members to join their team.

Personally, I vote bench...Because mine sucks and I need motivation.

So there's my vote.

EDIT: I may make a new thread for the choosing of the lift.

k cool... bench is my best lift based on my weight so that would suck haha... but I guess that is why we will vote!

k cool... bench is my best lift based on my weight so that would suck haha... but I guess that is why we will vote!

How much you lift relative to your bodyweight does not matter. The winning team will be determined by who makes the most improvement in their maxes.

Back