So I'm at 50/50 until Weds.

Drew, buy me a 50/50 t-shirt and mail it to me and I will worship you forever. :D

What size and brown, grey, or black? If I don't get a reply in time I'll get a black L. If you don't like or can't wear that I can get them to exchange it or something. I dunno we'll figure it out. If you want, I'm heading there now jjust call me at 919.667.6701 when u read this. Peace

Hey Drew,

Is there anyway you could get me a clipping of Ryan's hair or a blood sample. I don't know how possible that is, maybe you could just sneak into his room when he is sleeping or something?

Let me know if that's cool.

~TSOM

What's the argument? Just curious...

I wouldn't call it an argument so much as people's personal preferences learning the 50/50 guard. I like it but hey, everyone has their taste.

I also heard from someone that went to one of their seminars that ryan kind of went on a few random tangents when talking about things and some people left. I don't know the whole story so I never put any stock into it. I also heard he has tourettes and I don't know if that plays into it.

All I know is that from watching videos, the guy is crazy smart and breaks down detail very well and his grappling is amazing. So i'd be supporting him and his school.

I wouldn't call it an argument so much as people's personal preferences learning the 50/50 guard. I like it but hey, everyone has their taste.

I also heard from someone that went to one of their seminars that ryan kind of went on a few random tangents when talking about things and some people left. I don't know the whole story so I never put any stock into it. I also heard he has tourettes and I don't know if that plays into it.

All I know is that from watching videos, the guy is crazy smart and breaks down detail very well and his grappling is amazing. So i'd be supporting him and his school.

even though it is called 50/50 bjj, i think they teach more than just 50/50 there.

as far as 50/50 guard goes: atos/alliance/ryan are all playing it in the highest level of competition

Offended rubberguard players maybe?

trollface.jpg

Last edited:
even though it is called 50/50 bjj, i think they teach more than just 50/50 there.

as far as 50/50 guard goes: atos/alliance/ryan are all playing it in the highest level of competition

Yes, I understand it's just a specialty of theirs and of course they teach other guards. And I've seen them compete and i'm completely not disregarding the effectiveness simply stating how some have accused it of a stalling position.

I do not agree but I was just pointing that it's been said.

Not trying to hate on 50/50 here. Any body that tries to evolve the sport and add more to it is cool in my back. Cept Ari Bolden. That's right I went there Sherdog! Never heard that before.

Offended rubberguard players maybe?

lol. well i know people speculate as to how awesome ryan's game would translate into the RG and how he said he's not interested but I'm sure he out of all people see what Eddies trying to do and appreciates another guy adding something new to bjj.

or maybe not.

they can settle it in a foxy boxing match.

What size and brown, grey, or black? If I don't get a reply in time I'll get a black L. If you don't like or can't wear that I can get them to exchange it or something. I dunno we'll figure it out. If you want, I'm heading there now jjust call me at 919.667.6701 when u read this. Peace

Missed your reply till late tonight. Sent you a PM

lol. well i know people speculate as to how awesome ryan's game would translate into the RG and how he said he's not interested but I'm sure he out of all people see what Eddies trying to do and appreciates another guy adding something new to bjj.

or maybe not.

they can settle it in a foxy boxing match.

i think we went through this on another thread and ryan called rubber guard crap so i am not sure why he would appreciate what eddie is doing.

I am not going to "review" the school or answer any real specific questions. I think what happens in the gym should stay in the gym.

But I wanted to say:

If you live in the D.C. area and are interested in BJJ, go to 50/50.

If you want to travel to a school with friendly, funny, accommodative, down-to-earth, open-minded, tough, and highly skilled grapplers, go to 50/50.

You will learn so much, and every roll will be awesome. It's money well spent.

Ryan, Jen, Seph, Tim, Phil, and everyone else I met that teaches/works/trains there are very good people. Whatever it is you are looking for, they're people that are going to do their best to make sure you get it.

The only thing else I wanted to say is that anyone that's read my stuff knows how big of a mark I am for the Darce/Brabo, and that I am currently all about stepping over to finish it from the mount. Well... Ryan did this to me what felt like dozens of times and I feel like my head is about to fall off!

Sitting here after a nice meal at IHOP, full and happy, I realize how good I have it. Really amazed and grateful for life right now.

Peace!

Yeah luckily the IHOPs right on the corner there at Ballston :) i live like a block away, unfortunately I've never trained with Ryan because I'm at a Lloyd Irvin school were there is some really bad blood. Its really a tragedy :/ I've talked to him and he's a super nice guy and obviously has super slick BJJ. Oh well.

I said I wouldn't go into too much detail, because not only is it wrong to give away the training methods of a highly competitive school, but also it just totally doesn't do justice to the experience. Like I said, everybody smashed me there, and I am completely reevaluating literally everything about my JJ and how I train.

I have no knowledge of any incident but from my experience Ryan was a fantastic teacher, both one-on-one and in a group setting. Hilarious guy too. I think a lot of people don't know that about him or expect it. He is very good at commanding a room, and is as entertaining as he is informative.

As far as the 50/50 guard, I was there for only a few days, so what do I know? It's obviously something that's taught but I didn't have anyone use it on me while rolling. The only time I was put in 50/50 was when I asked to be, so I could feel the position from people that are skilled with it.

What you think you would experience at 50/50 and what you actually experience there are two entirely different things. Like, I'm sure Ryan wouldn't mind if I explained some basic things, but as I said, it would totally not do it justice.

The 50/50 position constitutes only a small fraction of what is taught at Ryan's gym. They are a good competition-oriented gym like many others. They incorporate the entire spectrum in their classes - from fundamentals to the guard to leg locks to takedowns and other topics. "Fifty/50" is just their name. You aren't expected to become Ryan Hall clones.

That's cool! I started my bjj career at Lloyd Irvin's back when Ryan had just gotten his purple. Him and Seph would regularly teach classes. they explain everything very well.

Sounds like a cool experience. At the end of the day, if you are able to gain a little bit of knowlege from players that masters at certain techniques, you will be better off for it.

Is it possible to get monthly pricing for both 50/50 and Yamasaki academy?

I'm still waiting for Hall to join us on the dark side :)

Back