So if Krusher lost to Ward, can GGG beat ward?

parrythehate

your mother is so ugly, it effects her self esteem
@Orange
Reaction score
Just a question I asked myself. Who can beat evasive counterpunchers? Or "swim without getting wet" fighters? The win was given to ward, which meant that Kovalevs work was not convincing enough. Do you guys think Golovkin can do it? If not who can?

Golovkin has as good a chance as anyone, but he's still a long shot. And it's a moot point since GGG's promoters consistently find excuses to avoid the best fighters, including Ward. No chance they would take a risk with Ward now, after he is even bigger and more proven.

no, I don't give GGG much of a shot against Ward. that said, I do think he'd fare better inside against Ward than Kovalev.

Golovkin has as good a chance as anyone, but he's still a long shot. And it's a moot point since GGG's promoters consistently find excuses to avoid the best fighters, including Ward. No chance they would take a risk with Ward now, after he is even bigger and more proven.

Which best fighters has GGG avoided besides Ward, who is 2 weight classes larger than him?

As for the fight - GGG is more versatile offensively but Ward would have a massive size advantage over him that would be too much to overcome. If they were the same size I'd favor GGG.

Which best fighters has GGG avoided besides Ward, who is 2 weight classes larger than him?
Ward was willing to fight him at 164 and GGG (or his pro,others) said "no".

GGG also failed to make fights against Carl Froch, Anothy Darrell, Peter Quillen, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto, Daniel Jacobs, Canelo Alvarez and Erilandy Lara. Any of those guys would be better wins than anyone GGG has beat so far. Of course his pro,others and fans claim that all of them were scared to fight GGG, unlike guys like David Lemieux and Willie Monroe, but I suspect that at least a few of those fights would have happened if they had really wanted them.

GGG also failed to make fights against Carl Froch, Anothy Darrell, Peter Quillen, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto, Daniel Jacobs, Canelo Alvarez and Erilandy Lara. Any of those guys would be better wins than anyone GGG has beat so far. Of course his pro,others and fans claim that all of them were scared to fight GGG, unlike guys like David Lemieux and Willie Monroe, but I suspect that at least a few of those fights would have happened if they had really wanted them.

Your suspicion and the truth are not the same things.

Also of that list, the only possible guy you can claim GGG has been avoiding is Lara. Most of the rest of it is laughable to anyone who has been following the sport.

You know I'd like to believe that Golovkin can actually beat Ward, but I can see ward eking out a win. Ward is a survivor who can show judges that he has the wily skill to beat offensive boxers. But I think Golovkin would do better on the inside than Kovalev.

Its just seems that evasive, counter punchers seem to always have the advantage and the judges favor. So, it makes me think are these type of fighters at this level unbeatable?

Ward would take Golovkin to school and it wouldnt be remotely close.

Ward would take Golovkin to school and it wouldnt be remotely close.

I wouldn't say that. Kovalev fought a razor close fight with Ward that really could have gone either way. GGG actually has a more well rounded skill set than Kov, he's just a bit smaller.

I wouldn't say that. Kovalev fought a razor close fight with Ward that really could have gone either way. GGG actually has a more well rounded skill set than Kov, he's just a bit smaller.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with Golovkin having a more well rounded skillset than Kovalev. I think he's a better pure pressure fighter, and likely has a better punch selection, but I think Kovalev is the better outside boxer, and might be a bit sharper defensively. Also, Kovalev is about 15 pounds heavier than Golovkin and is clearly the taller, rangier man.

Having said that, I don't think Ward would shut him out or anything, but I'd see a clear decision win.

As for the fight - GGG is more versatile offensively but Ward would have a massive size advantage over him that would be too much to overcome. If they were the same size I'd favor GGG.

Not that Golovkin really deserves criticism for not moving up (I don't think any fighter is obligated to do so, even if it might be a good way of improving a given fighter's reputation and moneymaking ability), but I think it's fairly clear he didn't want to fight Ward when Ward was only one weight class larger than him.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with Golovkin having a more well rounded skillset than Kovalev. I think he's a better pure pressure fighter, and likely has a better punch selection, but I think Kovalev is the better outside boxer, and might be a bit sharper defensively. Also, Kovalev is about 15 pounds heavier than Golovkin and is clearly the taller, rangier man.

Having said that, I don't think Ward would shut him out or anything, but I'd see a clear decision win.

You also have to throw in the fact that GGG is very good on the inside, and Kovalev is not.

You also have to throw in the fact that GGG is very good on the inside, and Kovalev is not.

Is he? He prefers a slightly closer range than Kovalev, but I've seen little to no actual infighting from Golovkin (he tied up Lemieux at that range, but didn't engage in any infighting). He actually sort of got roughed up there in the Olympics of all places when he lost the gold medal match. Kovalev is a strong guy with 15 pounds on Golovkin who we were told wrestled his whole life and had been preparing on the inside for Ward (well the weird Slavophile posters who have popped up around here told us this, anyway), and Ward still had a fair amount of success there. If Ward was actually the bigger man for once (he has never been in any of his major fights), I wouldn't like his opponent's chances on the inside.

Is he? He prefers a slightly closer range than Kovalev, but I've seen little to no actual infighting from Golovkin (he tied up Lemieux at that range, but didn't engage in any infighting). He actually sort of got roughed up there in the Olympics of all places when he lost the gold medal match. Kovalev is a strong guy with 15 pounds on Golovkin who we were told wrestled his whole life and had been preparing on the inside for Ward (well the weird Slavophile posters who have popped up around here told us this, anyway), and Ward still had a fair amount of success there. If Ward was actually the bigger man for once (he has never been in any of his major fights), I wouldn't like his opponent's chances on the inside.

That is what I noticed about Kovalev, he fought from way outside, I think ward and kovalev are the same height too. Sure, Kovalev did wrastle ward but I think Kovalev is not comfortable doing inside fighting. Golovkin fights from a medium to close distance, hence his better punch selection. He had a rough time with with kassim ouma, but he was fighting on the inside almost the entire fight. Even with this fact I think Ward will still be given the W doe.

Ward didn't have much success there and "fair" is a gentle way of saying not very effective. Who said Kovalev wrestled his whole life?

GGG also failed to make fights against Carl Froch, Anothy Darrell, Peter Quillen, Sergio Martinez, Miguel Cotto, Daniel Jacobs, Canelo Alvarez and Erilandy Lara. Any of those guys
would be better wins than anyone GGG has beat so far. Of course his pro,others and fans claim that all of them were scared to fight GGG, unlike guys like David Lemieux and Willie Monroe, but I suspect that at least a few of those fights would have happened if they had really wanted them.
Re Ward, you've conveniently left out the fact that Ward said OK to Golovkin AFTER GGG already booked a fight, and right after that, Ward started putting on pounds.

Froch didn't want any, and was pretty much done as GGG rose to prominence....also, a SMW vs a MW
Dirrel, also a SMW.

Quillen gave up his belt to avoid GGG. Canelo gave up his belt and fled the division to avoid GGG.
Cotto was too small for GGG and he knew it, he didn't want GGG.
Lara and now Jacobs have priced themselves out, and BJS won't fight ANYBODY with a pulse.

Lastly, Martinez was pretty much done when GGG hit the scene.

GGG also failed to fight Calzaghe, RJJr and He'll, he never fought Holmes or Ali either, what a chump eh?

Ward didn't have much success there and "fair" is a gentle way of saying not very effective. Who said Kovalev wrestled his whole life?

I'd say he did. He was the only one doing anything of note from that distance, and it can be said that inside work is what won him many crucial rounds in the fight. That's a "fair" amount of success in my view. I'm not sure if it was you who posted it, or one of the other posters who has had a bunch of alts, all of which were obsessed with Slavic fighters and, bizarrely, F1 (although I do find it mildly amusing when he goes to troll in the heavies). The general gist was that all Russians grappled a lot, and that he'd handle Ward on the inside because of this (he used that wrestling video of Kovalev as an example). The same guy who claimed Kovalev "wrestle-fucked" Ward after the fight, as if, first, that actually happened, or, second, if it did actually happen, that it would be a good thing. Or it might have been you, I don't keep detailed records of all the strange shit said on here.

I do think it's mildly funny that you seem to be assuming I was talking about you when I said Slavophile, though.

For me yes he could. I used to think Ward would school him, not so much now. I'd still pick Ward, but wouldnt be at all surprised if he gets KOd.

If it takes place I'll see you singing fat girls steel panther style

Back