So I was at a funeral today and

sorry about your aunt passing.

who was this lady in relation to her? strange behavior at a funeral..

I would have been furious.

It was my father's aunt, she was 88. She lived alone and decided she wanted to die, her husband died about ten years ago and her son died of an overdose about twenty years ago. She stopped eating and when my father visited her one day she was incredibly sick, he called an ambulance but she refused to go. So, he started visiting every single day for another couple of weeks until one day he arrived and she was unconscious on the floor.

He called an ambulance and she was taken to the last place she wanted to be, the hospital, where they saved her so that she could live another couple of weeks before finally slipping away.

Her sister (my grandmother) came to the funeral with her other son, and neither my father or his sister talked to them because my uncle has been poisoning her against them for decades so that he would be alone in the massive inheritance. He's sixty, lives with her, and is basically waiting for her to die so that he can have it all. They don't care at all about the money but decided that if she has been convinced by my uncle that they're evil, there's no point fighting it.

Seriously, it would be an interesting backstory for a film.

Sounds like typical family bullshit to be honest.

sorry about your aunt passing.

who was this lady in relation to her? strange behavior at a funeral..

I don't know.

This is the Italian side of my family and apparently I'm somehow related to a bunch of French Canadians I had never met before.

I find at every funeral people have different ways of handling and viewing the deceased. In some cultures it's a celebration of life, while some mourn like most in the US culture. I just think you should follow what makes sense to you and don't worry to much about others unless they had a parade. :icon_chee

Sounds like typical family bullshit to be honest.

And there I was thinking my family was fucked up in a special and unique way.

I never wanted to believe that most people are this fucked up.

And there I was thinking my family was fucked up in a special and unique way.

I never wanted to believe that most people are this fucked up.

There's always at least one that's an asshole, or marries an asshole.

Throw in money, drugs/alcohol, you've got yourself the typical family

It was my father's aunt, she was 88. She lived alone and decided she wanted to die, her husband died about ten years ago and her son died of an overdose about twenty years ago. She stopped eating and when my father visited her one day she was incredibly sick, he called an ambulance but she refused to go. So, he started visiting every single day for another couple of weeks until one day he arrived and she was unconscious on the floor.

He called an ambulance and she was taken to the last place she wanted to be, the hospital, where they saved her so that she could live another couple of weeks before finally slipping away.

Her sister (my grandmother) came to the funeral with her other son, and neither my father or his sister talked to them because my uncle has been poisoning her against them for decades so that he would be alone in the massive inheritance. He's sixty, lives with her, and is basically waiting for her to die so that he can have it all. They don't care at all about the money but decided that if she has been convinced by my uncle that they're evil, there's no point fighting it.

Seriously, it would be an interesting backstory for a film.

Damn. Goes to show that no matter how much time you have to plan or amount of wishes you express, old age & death are a bitch. I have a parent with brain cancer who should be dying about a year ago. I don't want to interact with any of that side of the family post-passing. Relatives. I'm sure they say the same about me though.

Since the joke was intended for you I'm glad you got it.

I laughed at my grandpas funeral. It pissed off my brother. And maybe others. It was the first funeral I went to really. I did miss him. And respected him. And I don't respect many people truthfully. It was nothing against him. I just don't generally show negative emotion in public and forgot I was supposed to pretend to be sad. I'm not good at following customs sometimes. Why should I be forced to put on an act. I missed him but in tense situations I usually make jokes. Idk. I understand showing respect for our culture but meh, sometimes I mess up.

a woman was taking a video on her phone of her husband bouncing their your daughter on his shoulders. In the background, they were wheeling my aunt into her crypt.

They were part of our procession, and it felt weirdly inappropriate.

Not to diss your family, but it's bad Etiquette to bring a toddler to a funeral.

I laughed at my grandpas funeral. It pissed off my brother. And maybe others. It was the first funeral I went to really. I did miss him. And respected him. And I don't respect many people truthfully. It was nothing against him. I just don't generally show negative emotion in public and forgot I was supposed to pretend to be sad. I'm not good at following customs sometimes. Why should I be forced to put on an act. I missed him but in tense situations I usually make jokes. Idk. I understand showing respect for our culture but meh, sometimes I mess up.

I totally get that. Sometimes I think people attend these things more for themselves than the people deceased. I mean, if your gramps was present right there and then, I don't think he would have gotten mad. Probably would have laughed along. So I don't see why anyone else should get mad in his place.

My grandpa passed away recently and I was there to see him take his last breath, which I'm glad to have witnessed... it's much easier to handle such a significant loss. And this brings me to his funeral ceremony, which collectively took us about 36 hours total. While the viewing (prior to the burial) was open casket and such, everyone in my generation (cousins) were just joking around, laughing, and being ourselves simply because we have dedicated so much time into the pre-burial ceremony. And because we're the grandchildren, it meant that we were in front of the guests and closest to our grandpa's casket.......... people were absolutely shocked at our behavior and some have even asked why I have not shed a single tear throughout the morning.

That is strange but I think whatever keeps the young kid quite might have been more important but not being there can't say for sure.

Sorry for your loss.

This is what I'd like to think.

Sorry for your loss ts.

I bet the dead woman was furious.

Someone's death is a test for the living, not the dead : / Obviously, TS is the one feeling the bad mojo.

I had a dream i died last night.

It started with the world about to end, god was coming to kill us all. I was in the park with my best friend. Then we looked up in the sky and a ball of light, representing god, came through the atmosphere. He travelled at the speed of light going from person to person killing them.

It was time, god came and killed me. I felt myself die.

I then awoke and i was on a space ship. I looked in a mirror and i was a half man half rabbit looking being with fangs.

My friend was also there, and he looked like an uglier version of me (not rabbit mam me, but real me).

The crew informed me that we were at war with the Gray's (Aliens) and that we had to go because they were here. I saw their spaceship and we took off in our own spaceship.

There was an odd sensation that my right shoulder and arm were numb for some reason.

I knew that somehow my parents were on the other side of the universe.

Suddenly im at home and back in my normal body. im in my garage and my cousin is there. I ask him if he wants to smoke a joint and throw the football around at the park.

I get in my car and for some reason drive it in the back of my dads mustang and scratch the shit out of it.

Now we're at the park, we're smoking a joint and im telling him about the dream of dying and becoming a half rabbit half man being. (explaining my dream to my dream cousin while still dreaming).

We finished smoking the joint and we went on the football field and started throwing the ball.

Suddenly the grass is darker, things have changed and i realize ive gone back in time.

George clooney starts to narrate a movie about a very tall Chinese man who once played ping pong on these very fields. I was shown a montage of the Chinese man winning various ping pong matches.

This all happened before the "great flood" which destroyed these fields a long time ago.

The rain starts to poor and we take cover in large Chinese mans bamboo house.

Thats all i remember

A bit of a contradiction. "I was supposed to pretend to be sad." You were not sad whether the situation was tense or you were in public. You do not give a shit about him. Just say it like it is.

I would've had to say something, TS. Some people are just so lacking in self-awareness, they're in such a self-centred bubble that their surroundings and the current situation don't even register as a blip on the radar.

A bit of a contradiction. "I was supposed to pretend to be sad." You were not sad whether the situation was tense or you were in public. You do not give a shit about him. Just say it like it is.

The situation was certainly tense. But I did not feel av need to be sad at that moment. I just saw him a few days before. The week before his wife, my grandma, died. I knew he wanted to die. So at that moment I wasn't sad. But I did miss him. And I did give a shit. But it's what he wanted.

That is strange but I think whatever keeps the young kid quite might have been more important but not being there can't say for sure.

Sorry for your loss.

Doing something to keep the child quiet is one thing. Taking pictures and completely ignoring or disregarding the others is narcissistic.

Back