So I want to win the golden gloves...

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
But I've never trained formally at a boxing gym. See, I've been setting goals for myself, and I want to set goals in all different aspects of MMA, so I can be a really well rounded fighter (grappling, clinching/wrestling, and stand up fighting, I like equally). So for example, I'd like to be a great grappler, but instead of setting ADCC as an eventual goal for myself, I'd like to compete in Grappler's Quest, and maybe make it to the try-outs of ADCC. Likewise for stand-up; I don't want to try and be a champion pro boxer, but I think the Golden Gloves are an achievable and realistic goal.

Now, even though I haven't trained at a boxing gym, I have been studying and learning boxing for about 3 years now. For a while, I was taking private lessons with Kato Wilson: 1982 ESPN Figher of the Year, and I take kickboxing at my MMA gym.

Obviously, if I want to win the GG, I need to go to a boxing gym. There's a kid who goes to my gym who won the GG in his weight class, and I guess I figured it's a realistic goal for me because I can hold my own in stand-up with him.

So, my question to all of you is, do you agree that the Golden Gloves are a realistic goal to set, if I'm also learning grappling, kickboxing, etc.? I'd be willing to put my kicks on hold (although I have really good kicks), because IMO, punches are really higher percentage strikes, especially in MMA.

How long should someone train in boxing to compete for the Golden Gloves? Can I still train in the other parts of MMA? I am willing to train 4 hours a day, 5 days a week in MMA, with one rest day and one day of a little bit less work.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide between Judo or extra boxing for cross training.

Well, if you've got striking experience, considering the decline of boxing, if you compete at a "weak" location, you may win. Now's a good time to train hardcore. the tourney's in about 3 months.

I thikn gg is more entry level than an actual am match. My coach tells me this (i think). The reasn is b/c gg separates entry level fighters from experienced ones, where in a regular am match anyone can potentially go against anyone.

I wouldn't know how long exactly you should train for golden gloves but I would recommend putting your other training on hold while you're training boxing. The elements of other styles will dilute your boxing perfection. Thai stance, for example, isn't the optimal boxing stance. Other than that I wouldn't know what to tell you except good luck.

I think as a young man, you, like most young men have a tendency to want to bite off more than they can chew. Pick something, stick by it, don't think you're going to be able to win everything you attempt without a lot of hardship and misery. I'd say enter the GG, but don't count on winning if there's any people there who are serious enough about the sport that they've been training for most of their lives and have ambitions to go Pro in Boxing. They'll eat you alive.

King Kabuki said:
I think as a young man, you, like most young men have a tendency to want to bite off more than they can chew. Pick something, stick by it, don't think you're going to be able to win everything you attempt without a lot of hardship and misery. I'd say enter the GG, but don't count on winning if there's any people there who are serious enough about the sport that they've been training for most of their lives and have ambitions to go Pro in Boxing. They'll eat you alive.

That's understandable. I do set really high standards for myself. I hate the sound of settling for less. Like when I set goals, in my mind I want to write down, K-1 Middleweight Champion, Abu Dhabi Champion, Olympic Judo, Olympic Wrestling... but then I have to realize it's unrealistic.

The GG seemed realistic enough to me because Sean Gannon won them while training in Judo. I just wanted something to work toward besides being a "pretty good boxer." If I train my ass off to win something like the Golden Gloves, then I think I'll improve much faster.

If I don't win them, it's okay. But it's a goal I want to set for myself.

Iceman5592 said:
But I've never trained formally at a boxing gym. See, I've been setting goals for myself, and I want to set goals in all different aspects of MMA, so I can be a really well rounded fighter (grappling, clinching/wrestling, and stand up fighting, I like equally). So for example, I'd like to be a great grappler, but instead of setting ADCC as an eventual goal for myself, I'd like to compete in Grappler's Quest, and maybe make it to the try-outs of ADCC. Likewise for stand-up; I don't want to try and be a champion pro boxer, but I think the Golden Gloves are an achievable and realistic goal.

Now, even though I haven't trained at a boxing gym, I have been studying and learning boxing for about 3 years now. For a while, I was taking private lessons with Kato Wilson: 1982 ESPN Figher of the Year, and I take kickboxing at my MMA gym.

Obviously, if I want to win the GG, I need to go to a boxing gym. There's a kid who goes to my gym who won the GG in his weight class, and I guess I figured it's a realistic goal for me because I can hold my own in stand-up with him.

So, my question to all of you is, do you agree that the Golden Gloves are a realistic goal to set, if I'm also learning grappling, kickboxing, etc.? I'd be willing to put my kicks on hold (although I have really good kicks), because IMO, punches are really higher percentage strikes, especially in MMA.

How long should someone train in boxing to compete for the Golden Gloves? Can I still train in the other parts of MMA? I am willing to train 4 hours a day, 5 days a week in MMA, with one rest day and one day of a little bit less work.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide between Judo or extra boxing for cross training.

Yes, it's achivable. Go for it.
If you don't get the GG, then your stand up game will still be improved by your extra training and experience.
If you do get the GG, you'll improve and you'll have a title.

It's a win/win situation.

It'd be awesome to win the GG.
Alas, I only have the money for judo. :(

Depends on your area. I know in NYC or in Cali the competition is extraordinary. I'm not sure about Boston so maybe you will.

Hmm, a kickboxing place wouldn't necessarily not be able to help you reach your goal.

Where I'm training at now is a kickboxing/muay thai place. It has put out one australian amateur champion in boxing. Maybe he was just a freak example though.

The head gym which this is an affiliate under has also done the same. Kickboxing still utilises a fair amount of punching. As long as the coach is knowledgable abotu the differences they can help you attain your goal. My opinion anyway (and it is limited)

I would really go for greco-roman wrestling instead of judo...

As for the boxing you need to adjust your footwork, which is really different from kickboxing/ MMA footwork. I was a boxer for a couple of years and had a bit of a problem at the beginning in MMA because of the footwork/stance. As soon as I adjusted this part I started knocking people out.

hey iceman i'm in pretty much the same exact situation as you and have the same goal also, i just went to the GG finals in NYC the other night and it was sick plus i met joe frazier, al certo (famous trainer), and other famous fighters... there was probably 5,000 people there and i can imagine how exciting fighting infront of a crowd like that for the first time must be.

you should definitely go for it in the novice division, from comparing myself to the fighters i saw i'm confident i can make it to the top of the novice division as long as i consistently train, if not just being able to say you were in the golden gloves is awesome

It is a bit of an unrealistic goal to compete at that level in all those different arts. You know what else is unrealistic? A guy training in his friend's back shed with his karate classmate who eventually makes it to the top tier of the MMA world (yeah I'm talking about Rich Franklin).

I don't see why you can't do it. Nothing wrong with setting goals and going for them. They tend to change as you get older, but we still try to set them as well. Just make sure you don't ignore your school work...because good grades opens a lot of possibilities that are fun and rewarding in college.

Best of luck to you!

i think you should just cut back on other training, go ahead and join that boxing gym, and let your trainers decide where you're at. even if you get a little rusty in your other areas, you will gain valuable refinement in your boxing. good luck man!

GG is doable if you are not in Cali or NY. But it's a lot easier if you are in SHW division like gannon, because there are way fewer fighters.

Go for it!

go for it bro! cut back on some of the MMA training and focus on boxing.

BTW, how much do weigh?

King Kabuki said:

agreed fully, iceman your a great poster and i respect you alot dude but seriously 3 years self training and your thinking GG? You need to go join that club spend a year training hardcore and see if thats even what you want, i mean how many kids come into your locl mma, fighting gym and say i wanna be ufc champ and are puking and quitting a week later ( i knowthat doesent apply to you caue youve obviously proven you like combat with all the other arts hehe) but KK is right most guys who are going for gg take years of hardwork and prep you know, i would go in spar a really good boxer and see if any of your backyard skills can stand up to it, i mean some ppl are naturals

aaron_mag said:
It is a bit of an unrealistic goal to compete at that level in all those different arts. You know what else is unrealistic? A guy training in his friend's back shed with his karate classmate who eventually makes it to the top tier of the MMA world (yeah I'm talking about Rich Franklin).

ohhh thats why nate quarry got ktfoed so bad har har

I guy I train BJJ/MMA with just won the Golden Gloves in Chicago after formally training boxing for only 7 months. He is a phenom & I know few people would ever be able to do that. But it shows it can be done without having devoted most of your life to boxing & also while training in other arts.

Bman said:
ohhh thats why nate quarry got ktfoed so bad har har

Heh heh...

Obviously Rich is getting the best facilities and coaching now. But when you read his bio you realize just how humble and late of a start he got in MMA. And Iceman is not talking about training in his backyard and showing up to the GG. He does train at his school.

Back