So I Tried BJJ for the fist time today...

hahaha i hear ya, that would hurt my ego too if i was 170 and a 16 yr old girl tapped me out but ur right thats what bjj is all about

My first class I was nervous as hell, I got my ass kicked thoroughly.

He probably jumped into a guillotine and expected you to break your own fall.

This was probably it, I was just learning that you have to slap your arm and palm on your fall while being thrown/slammed, but I really didn't remember this while upside down :p

My first class I was nervous as hell, I got my ass kicked thoroughly.

my very first roll was against a 120 lb blue belt, i was like 150 at the time and i thought to myself "there is no way in hell im letting this kid kick my ass" well the kid kicked my ass bad, he was like a monkey on my back i could not get rid of, very humbling

my very first roll was against a 120 lb blue belt, i was like 150 at the time and i thought to myself "there is no way in hell im letting this kid kick my ass" well the kid kicked my ass bad, he was like a monkey on my back i could not get rid of, very humbling

A lot of the guys at my gym when I first went were either bigger or the same size as me.

It's not a gentle art at all. The only time it's gentle is against my instructor who basically just tools me hard and moves slow as anything and it just relaxed and gentle. I love it though

...and got DDT'ed on my head and choked out. We had a sparring/grappling session, and a seasoned member of about 5'6" and 120 lbs offered to roll with me. I am 5'11" and 170, so I figured "sure why not?"

Somehow on my first day I managed to get to his back in the scramble, thought it didn't mean much because what happened next changed what I thought of this art forever. He promptly spun around to land top control, and as we both stood up with him more so in the top position, he gained a north south headlock if you will, and basically drove backwards, spiked me on my head, and choked me out within a matter of seconds.

The head spike cracked my neck and left me feeling as if I'd eaten a head kick. My question, is this usually used as a weapon in BJJ? I really felt dazed afterwards, and never saw it coming at all from such a smaller foe. Please excuse me if my terminology isn't correct, it was the first time I've ever rolled.

Yesssssssssssss! I've been calling for more DDTs in rolling! Get in! :icon_chee

PS. In your next lesson, they're gonna show you the boston crab.

Lol this is a good ole fashioned sherdog thread, I like it.

I'm glad you enjoyed your first day, it's always nice to see new faces and I hope you keep training. I'm also happy you didn't let this one bad experience turn you off of jiujitsu.

As for the girl thing it really doesn't matter if you get tooled around by a girl, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY.

here are a few pointer for rolling with women
Don't worry about hurting them they're alot more flexible than you are. Don't worry about overpowering them they're alot more technical than you are, and don't worry about how sexual-looking these positions are, they're alot more embarrased than you are.

During our first hour we wore a gi. Well, since I was new I just had shorts on and the gi shirt (with an orange belt to hold it hahaha). But when we were spar grappling I had no gi, my young partner wasn't wearing one either...after an hour of training I would say the both of us were very slippery.

You know whats funny is a few girls wanted to roll but after what happened with that guy I wanted no part of getting submitted by a woman. I know I shouldn't think of it that way but it just seems to suck to get submitted by a 16 year old girl. But I guess that is the true beauty of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I can say now from firsthand experience that I know the system works!

rolling with girls is great, they usually have the better technique

This.

One time, I had a hamburger that was terrible. It made me sick for like three days.

I still love hamburgers.

Lol I have found your posts to be the best also the most accurate way to answers the question in so few of words.:icon_lol:

Back