So I Tried BJJ for the fist time today...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by atrane, Jul 27, 2010.

1. atrane

atrane Orange Belt

...and got DDT'ed on my head and choked out. We had a sparring/grappling session, and a seasoned member of about 5'6" and 120 lbs offered to roll with me. I am 5'11" and 170, so I figured "sure why not?"

Somehow on my first day I managed to get to his back in the scramble, thought it didn't mean much because what happened next changed what I thought of this art forever. He promptly spun around to land top control, and as we both stood up with him more so in the top position, he gained a north south headlock if you will, and basically drove backwards, spiked me on my head, and choked me out within a matter of seconds.

The head spike cracked my neck and left me feeling as if I'd eaten a head kick. My question, is this usually used as a weapon in BJJ? I really felt dazed afterwards, and never saw it coming at all from such a smaller foe. Please excuse me if my terminology isn't correct, it was the first time I've ever rolled.

2. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I hope this is a troll instead of an actual experience. Because that's not right if it really did happen.

3. Polvo

Polvo White Belt

Sounds like you didn't base your hand. I seriously doubt he meant to spike you on your head. More than likely it was an odd position and he was going for a choke either you didn't know how or in the heat of the moment you didn't do anything to prevent yourself from hitting the mat.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. se7en-

se7en- White Belt

sounds like he jumped guillotine on you
    iif hes the one going backwards.
    if not, its really not his fault your head hit the mat.

5. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

don't let it "change your opinion of the art" ... don't know if it was just a lack of control by him or balance by you or if the guy's just a dick. Even if he's a dick, it's one dude, and that shouldn't change your opinion of the art as a whole. Keep training and you will encounter far more good than bad. Guaranteed.

6. Jagcorps_esq

Jagcorps_esq Red Belt

This.

One time, I had a hamburger that was terrible. It made me sick for like three days.

I still love hamburgers.

7. Roflolfish

Roflolfish Yellow Belt

Huh, at our place the BB would not let a first timer roll

8. atrane

atrane Orange Belt

It didn't change my opinion in a bad way, I was amazed that he did this to me, and I now respect small guys that are good at jiu-jitsu lol. To whoever up there accused me of trolling....my neck still hurts and I'm pretty sure I won't forget it. Today I learned...not to leave your head sticking out haha :).

I don't think he was really trying to do this, he said he was a new technique he was working on to land in a good position off a choke, and I didn't really have any defense for it so I learned something today.

9. atrane

atrane Orange Belt

Yes I would say that's the best description of what he did, but once we hit the mat he rolled me over and was on top control with the guillotine, I felt like my head was gonna get pulled off.

10. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Good to hear man. Yeah, you'll have a lot of those moments. Keep up the good training and best of luck.

11. atrane

atrane Orange Belt

I'm not sure how it works, but at this place we worked new techniques with the master for the first hour, and the second hour was free grappling to work on whatever techniques we wanted. They didn't really make me roll, the guy offered and I accepted and enjoyed the sparring. He was about 15 to my 24 and I learned that age and strength will not do you favors in this lol

12. atrane

atrane Orange Belt

Thanks man. Sorry to sound to crazy but I can't stop thinking about doing jiu jitsu now...i just had no idea what was involved. We did some Judo throws today, and although I can't quite remember everything...i was really surprised by the effectiveness

13. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

Sorry for accusing you of trolling, it's just we get a lot of trolls here. It's a shame you got injured as a result of your first class. I usually take it easy on new people for their first few classes and help them out when I roll with them by telling them what to do step by step.

14. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

At our place, they almost always do. I think this varies a lot from gym to gym.

15. Salar

Salar Blue Belt

hahahaha awww man now im hungry

16. a dead stick

a dead stick Orange Belt

The fact that the kid was 15 makes alot of sense. Guys that age are generally more concerned with being ass-kickers than training all friendly like.

Plus a kid like that probly still gets a rush from beating bigger, older, stronger guys so he was going a bit hard most likely for reasons like that.

Getting your head driven into the mat like that is pretty harsh but its nice that you reacted correctly to it, by getting determined to learn more.
    :icon_twis

17. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

I missed that. That might very well explain it.

18. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

instructor is dumb for letting you roll with a 15 year old "seasoned member" on your first day. he should have paired you up with a chill older guy who knows when to go light and not hurt you.

19. Prominence

Prominence White Belt

DDT? You should've put him in a pedigree and while he's down, go to the top rope and do a moonsault.

20. atrane

atrane Orange Belt

Yeah, it didn't feel good and still doesn't...but all I can think of is "how can I prevent this from happening again?". He truly felt sorry for doing it, and I can't wait to try again. I feel bad admitting this as I go to the gym regularly, but I almost threw up today haha. I really never knew how great of shape these guys are in, I just can't wait to learn more.