So I recently started training.....

xdaniel67x

White Belt
Reaction score
And man can this sport get expensive.....

I'm taking muay thai 1x week and BJJ 2x week and already I've had to purchase

Sprawl shorts - the basketball shorts I had on was not gonna cut it....kept wanting to fall off my ass.

Mouthguard, Jockstrap, Steel cup, and I figure once I get a bit more advanced I'll need the shinguards, headgear, etc. for sparring.

About how much do you guys spend on gear every now and then? I'm hoping it's more of a one time starting type expense.

Honestly, once you buy that stuff, you're pretty much set. It should all last for quite awhile.

feedmelies said:
Honestly, once you buy that stuff, you're pretty much set. It should all last for quite awhile.

Bingo. This is why I buy high quality gear only. In the long run, it is probably cheaper because quality gear lasts so much longer.

Mouthpiece is like 2$, groin protection 15$, good gloves 60-100$, good shin guards 60-100$, don

Don't foget the competition fees. I typically pay between $30 and $60 per BJJ tournament.

dude i dont use any of that shit....i just use my skills in order to not get hurt...i roll around rough but the most i ever get is sore muscles and matburn sometimes.

i laugh at the newbs at the academy who don all this equipment , look corny and then display no skills...

i hope you arent one of those lol

I havent worn a cup in BJJ for years....and bar a couple of instances still can crank women!

Cups and mouthpieces are a must, everything else can be added later.

knowing ur superior to your opponent= priceless

some things money cant buy for everything else u mastercard ..the official card of fighters everywhere

RapidKnee said:
dude i dont use any of that shit....i just use my skills in order to not get hurt...i roll around rough but the most i ever get is sore muscles and matburn sometimes.

i laugh at the newbs at the academy who don all this equipment , look corny and then display no skills...

i hope you arent one of those lol
There you go.
Way back when the only thing I bought was my first pair of bag gloves (still have them). When you want to learn to play guitar, don't buy the amp and all the foot pedals until you can actually play.

Try out eBay - I picked up a brand new pair of Fairtex MMA gloves that usually retail at about

ChristophVB said:
There you go.
Way back when the only thing I bought was my first pair of bag gloves (still have them). When you want to learn to play guitar, don't buy the amp and all the foot pedals until you can actually play.

yea u dont go fuck jenna jamison on ur first try u fuck ur hand.

Your gym usually have boxing gloves but WARNING, get your own, cause your hands will smell like cheese for a week after a training session. :icon_excl

The fun & experience should make it worthwhile.

Back