so i read the list of death toll from wars..

Some people seem to forget that Russia not fought only Germany, but the Axis.

Some people forget, one reason Germany was able to Blitzkrieg was because of the treaty with Russia. So they fucked themselves.

Some people forget, one reason Germany was able to Blitzkrieg was because of the treaty with Russia. So they fucked themselves.

lol you'd be kidding yourself if think that's the only reason. Stalin purged most of his veteran commanders and the Russians were completely out classed as well. little piece of I-16 type 28 vs me 109s, you can just look at the 2 an see how badly the soviets were out classed

lol you'd be kidding yourself if think that's the only reason. Stalin purged most of his veteran commanders and the Russians were completely out classed as well. little piece of I-16 type 28 vs me 109s, you can just look at the 2 an see how badly the soviets were out classed

I know they were outclassed, that is obvious. There was like 1 gun per 4 troops or something during Stalingrad.

I said ONE reason, not the ONLY. Stalin and Hitler had a pact to not attack each other, so that they both could claim territories and populations. Stalin was just as much at fault for his peoples deaths, as Hitler was.

lol to bad WW3 probably wont be nuclear. Just like during the cold war, there was only a limit to how many nukes would be used.

When push comes to shove no one will care about teh roles on what type or how much weapons to use or how environmentally friendly those weapons are.

Soviets alone had over 20 million... that is already 1/3 or 1/4 of that death toll.

Apparently 80% of Russian men born in 1923 didn't survive past 1945.

Like Russia, China's losses during WW2 were also staggering but they had a ridiculously large population of 500+ million. 20-30 million didn't really affect the country that much demographically.

I wonder what the worlds population would be without WW1 and WW2. Do you think we'd be around 10 billion by now?

How did ww2 have that many deaths....I just don't see it.

30 million russian
20 million Chinese

Thats most of it, and hell most people don't even think of China as being really involved all that much.

No surprise that China made the top lists seeing as how that part of the world was always the most populous. Just for fun, I tallied up all those "Figures" involving China and it reached up to 174.5 million. While that number seems outrageous, it really isn't when you consider how many Chinese lived throughout human history. According to one scholar's work on Chinese history, he argued that approximately up to 10 billion people have lived in the area known as China since human history began. Hell over 3 billion lived in China from 1700 to the present according to these other two scholars I've read. Yes I am a bit of a sinologist, I took history courses on China back in college and I was hooked.

I was also thinking China was better than average at keeping records so they had much more detail on wars and numbers.

And truth to that?

lol to bad WW3 probably wont be nuclear. Just like during the cold war, there was only a limit to how many nukes would be used.

Surprised you believe that.

Do you real feel anyone would be willing to face death quietly and not use the ace up their sleeve.

Nukes should be called peace makers, not guns.

whats funny is this something may happen again since china is showing signs that it could fragment

Really ? ? ?

There is a burgeoning Chinese Spring Revolt happening?

Where will it fragment, north south, or east west? Probably north south.

more like the Chinese hate themselves.

But not enough to go to the ground

that's not too unture in the least by my estimation, at least on the basis of difference. China is one of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world, and this is talking about 'native' Chinese, not immigrants.

some recommended viewing and listening:

City of Life and Death - 2009 film about the rape of Nanking. made in joint effort between Chinese and Japanese filmmakers.

Ghosts of the Ostfront - 4 part podcast series by Dan Carlin (hardcore history) about the eastern front of WW2. Great info about the brutality shown on both sides.

This is the reason why nobody in the world feels sorry about Hiroshima and Nagasaki especially China and Korea.

Irradiating Hiroshima, and Nagasaki did nothing but hurt and maim and kill harmless civilians. Those people have nothing to do with the war.

They should have dropped it on top of Tokyo. Once the imperial gov't is gone, Japan will be easy to storm. You don't do this, and still run the risk of having to invade, and fight house to house. Take out Tokyo, and you don't have to worry about anything.

PaleBlueDot2.jpg

"Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."
-Karl Sagin
Could you imagine if the majority of the human race was this briliant?

I was also thinking China was better than average at keeping records so they had much more detail on wars and numbers.

And truth to that?

Yes! The Chinese administrators in ancient and medieval times did their best to record data. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that they were always 100% honest. Some figures are clearly exaggerated such as the idea that during the Warring States era, the Qin army wiped out the Chu army of 10 million (LOL at the idea of a 10 million+ army during 500 BCE) and likewise certain Ming administrators claimed that the Manchus lowered the population of the empire from 150 million to 15. I mean clearly these are instances of wild exaggerations but for the most part, the Chinese did their best to record data.

Complete ignorance of the Armenian Genocide absolutely disgusts me as well. The fact the govts of the US and UK don't acknowledge is just all you need to know about the bias.

That would make Turkey mad. Its all about alliances,oil,money,the war machine etc.
I personally think ww3 begins economically,oh wait.......Miley cyrus did what?!

Really ? ? ?

There is a burgeoning Chinese Spring Revolt happening?

Where will it fragment, north south, or east west? Probably north south.

Not gonna happen. Alot of people think China is a country ripe for an Arab spring style revolt but based on today's economic and political observation, it most likely won't happen. Contrary to popular opinion, the vast majority of the Chinese population support their government. If anything, the Chinese government is a necessity to keep the civilian nationalism in check. Domestic incidents are merely isolated events and not indicative of a larger danger at play.

There are of course other hotspots like Tibet and Xinjiang province but nothing drastic will take place there either. Especially when you consider that the Chinese government has built trains there for the purpose of mass colonization.

Irradiating Hiroshima, and Nagasaki did nothing but hurt and maim and kill harmless civilians. Those people have nothing to do with the war.

True but good luck convincing Japan's neighbors to feel sorry for her. After enduring Unit 731, the Rape of Nanking, the Sack of Manila, the Annexation of Korea, you think Japan's neighbors give a rat's ass about Nagasaki?

Back