So I ran my first 10k in the winter cold and it was easy?

Tentacle

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm not a experienced runner at all. I stopped doing jitz 4 years ago or so and after that I've been mostly been hitting the weights quite heavy. Maybe 2 years ago I started hitting the treadmill for 20 min rather casually at least once per week, I've been keep doing that for most of the time but the lifting has been the main thing. I did some 4 minutes tabata here and there. This summer I started running outside maybe 5k once a week as well. That resulted in a runner's knee which is a bit weird because it was running rather slow. Because of this and another injury I haven't done much this fall but last week I decided to see if my knee was okay so I went out for a run; it didn't bother me too much. This Saturday I decided to see if I could run for 40 mins on the treadmill (I thank I was inspired by that Goggins dude on JRE). No problem easy. So today I decided to run another 5K but at 5K I decided to run another 2K and then decided to keep running until I hit 10K. And then I realized I wasn't tired and didn't have high heart rate at all during my run. No pain in the legs, no pain in the lungs and I was perfectly fine. Just an easy smooth run.

The thing is that I have pretty severe limiting self belief that I'm a weak bitch not only relating to running but in general. I really didn't think I could do 10K.

My time wasn't anything special, I ran at 47 minutes but I seriously think I could press down that with several minutes..

I don't know what I want to tell you otherwise that I'm happy for myself.

Yes, good for you. I've done a couple of organised 10k runs (don't plan on doing any more) with very little training, and with that being said, I think it should be very doable if you are of a reasonable level of general fitness.

I had someone from my work who was not active at all and did one as a target of something to train for, but for most active people, 10k shouldn't prove too much of a problem. If you are wanting to get decent times, that's another matter.

Yes, good for you. I've done a couple of organised 10k runs (don't plan on doing any more) with very little training, and with that being said, I think it should be very doable if you are of a reasonable level of general fitness.

I had someone from my work who was not active at all and did one as a target of something to train for, but for most active people, 10k shouldn't prove too much of a problem. If you are wanting to get decent times, that's another matter.

Cool! Yes, now 10Ks doesn't sound unreasonable for most people who are use to some running and are not overweigtht. All about pacing.

It does seem like a good target for people out of shape. Totally doable.

Now I'm thinking about doing a 10K race on NewYear's Eve!

I can honestly say running >20 miles is not some sort of impossible goal people imagine. You run fairly regularly so running +10 miles would be comfortable for you.

When I was boxing I did 6 miles a day, 5 days a week....in the military we'd do x3 FAST 5 milers and one medium paced 10 miler per week.

Running >20 miles is mostly boring as fuck. But youve experienced running 10k is easier than you think...these are the next steps up if you wanted to be a little more serious in your running. well done and good luck

Congrats TS, thats a huge milestone for you. Good stuff

Funny how I had the same injury happen. I picked up running again this summer after surgery, I started running 2km one day and 4km the other, 6 days a week. I didn't last 2 weeks, both my knee were fried. The pain lasted for at least 3 weeks, I feel great now.

47 minutes for your first 10k, and feeling like you didn't push yourself, is outstanding. Possibly you could hit a 20 minutes 5k if you wanted to. I see a 20min 5k as something roughly equivalent to being in the 1000lb club. Way beyond the general population, way behind what proper athletes in that area can do, achievable for most people in a year or so. If you can do either on your first try you are pretty exceptional IMO.

That's really cool! I've been a runner and now practice bjj so I've always wondered about the aerobic carryover from one sport to another. I found bjj just as aerobically taxing as running when I started and both give me a similar rush.

Good job with the 10k. If you enjoy distance running and can avoid injury, have at it. Just be super careful to increase distance slowly, please. It's very easy to get hurt if you don't.

Funny how I had the same injury happen. I picked up running again this summer after surgery, I started running 2km one day and 4km the other, 6 days a week. I didn't last 2 weeks, both my knee were fried. The pain lasted for at least 3 weeks, I feel great now.

God damn knees man. You really do have to ease into these things and get your rest.

I went to a Physical Therapist who works with the local pro hockey team. The left knee was very strong/good but something was up with the right one. She speculated that I might have serious injury to my ACL from when my knee got thrashed in a calf slicer years ago but I had great muscle compensation so I would not notice this in daily life or even during exercising(sounds weird to me). Her theory was that this injury might have caused the runners knee in return.

Anyway, it is amazing how the body adapts.

47 minutes for your first 10k, and feeling like you didn't push yourself, is outstanding. Possibly you could hit a 20 minutes 5k if you wanted to. I see a 20min 5k as something roughly equivalent to being in the 1000lb club. Way beyond the general population, way behind what proper athletes in that area can do, achievable for most people in a year or so. If you can do either on your first try you are pretty exceptional IMO.

Thank you.

I would not be able to do 5K at 20 min. It just doesn't seem realistic for me to do anytime soon. Lactic Acid would just kill me.

My friend who is a amateur super runner wants to put me on a program with intervalls, tempo runs and what not. The only thing is that would mean I have to stop going to the gym. I like doing my squats, deadlifts and presses.

That sounds great man! I find it easier to run when it's cold. I don't run outside when it's too cold like in January and February because my nose becomes useless and I can't breath right but it feels great to run outside the rest of the year.

My knee is also fucked so I mix running and swimming, I do it both every week. You should give it a try, it's low impact and awesome for your cardio. It's also fun to test yourself in the water.

That's really cool! I've been a runner and now practice bjj so I've always wondered about the aerobic carryover from one sport to another. I found bjj just as aerobically taxing as running when I started and both give me a similar rush.

Good job with the 10k. If you enjoy distance running and can avoid injury, have at it. Just be super careful to increase distance slowly, please. It's very easy to get hurt if you don't.

I don't know. I was still a gm rat while doing jiujitsu but I did tabata back then as well. My thinking was that a match is 4-5 min so I don't need to be able to work for 25 min+. In competition I didn't feel like I had a conditioning issue(unless getting crushed) but did fatigue bad if we had 5-6 rounds of rolling in the end of practice.

That sounds great man! I find it easier to run when it's cold. I don't run outside when it's too cold like in January and February because my nose becomes useless and I can't breath right but it feels great to run outside the rest of the year.

My knee is also fucked so I mix running and swimming, I do it both every week. You should give it a try, it's low impact and awesome for your cardio. It's also fun to test yourself in the water.

I really do enjoy the cold. There was a couple of Celsius below the freezing point today but still sunny. The cold makes me breath heavier but doesn't bother me much.

Yeah, I would love to start swimming; I've been looking up prices outthink it is a bit too much to be honest.

I really do enjoy the cold. There was a couple of Celsius below the freezing point today but still sunny. The cold makes me breath heavier but doesn't bother me much.

Yeah, I would love to start swimming; I've been looking up prices outthink it is a bit too much to be honest.
Is there any college/university around? They usually offer a good deal for non-students.

Is there any college/university around? They usually offer a good deal for non-students.

Plus, hot university/college chicks.

Good for you!

I've just started running and it's a struggle for me. A 5k takes me 32 minutes with a heart rate around 170bpm.

My brother does Ironman, and he can run 10k in 42 minutes at 120bpm.

Goes to show what training can do.

Back