So i need to ADD to my routine..

fightingrabbit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and alas..i am too lazy to search up all the conditioning threads and put together my own. So im asking some of you stand up fighters to incorporate more exercises and workouts into my pretty basic regimen.

The reason why im now so eager to improve my routine is because this other trainers stable of fighters all work their routine together. Sprints, ab work..all that good stuff. While im flying solo. Now this i dont really mind. I can push myself to do everything they do and more, but at this point its just a matter of guidance and knowing what to do. I really want to get my conditioning up to par with these guys. Cus i dont like the way this trainer is makin it seem like i'd be scared to rumble with his cats. In reality, i'd scrap any one of them with or without the gloves. And if it was a rough and tumble match i'd probablly take em..but thats beside the point.

So i come to you guys..The sport is boxing..3 minutes per round on the timer..I'll just lay it out.

-3x rounds shadowboxing
-3x rounds on the heavy bag
-3x rounds uppercut bag
-3x rounds pads (the days differ)
-3x rounds speed bag
-3x rounds double end
-2x sets of 30 sit ups with a med ball (i do 10 twists on each side, then 10 regular)

Attempt some pulls ups. Lift weights. (Though im not really concerned about the weight lifting)

Then i hit the track and run usually 1-2 miles. Going to start incorporating Sprints again. Tabata if i can even manage.

So there it is, like i said, real basic. I noticed i dont do much bodyweight exercises if any. So yeah. Pimp my routine plz.

So...you can push yourself, but you're too lazy to look in the conditioning forum and find exercises that interest you?

So...you can push yourself, but you're too lazy to look in the conditioning forum and find exercises that interest you?

oh i know. real contradictory. Dont get me wrong, im always looking for new ways to improve what im working on, such as the heavy bags, speed bags, uppercut bags and my shadowboxing. But im just clueless as to the exercises and what i should add. I mean theres dozens out there, but hell, i dont know if i should be doing them all, or every other day or what.

Split it up, that's way too much to do all in the same workout.

see. statements like this confuse me. This has been my routine since i began. Mind you im usually at the gym for about 2 hours. Shoulda added that.

Split it up, that's way too much to do all in the same workout.

Not really.

But im just clueless as to the exercises and what i should add. I mean theres dozens out there, but hell, i dont know if i should be doing them all, or every other day or what. If i can get it in routine format, then its as good as done.

You're going to have to experiment. There's too many options out there, and I'd be willing to wager few people here have your physical dimensions and goals.

yeah vague. I guess i was just looking for other fighters to chime in and toss in some tried and true exercises they do in their daily routines, so i can kinda just tack it on to mines.

AHA

Alright fuck im off to the conditioning forum then. Im sure i can manage that.

And to all you who are reading this. Dont let Kabuki deter you. Gimme all your boxercises! Gimme now!

Working out 2 hours nonstop isn't going to produce great results. All the boxing stuff, then some lifting, then some cardio? Going to be hard to make gains in all 3.

Working out 2 hours nonstop isn't going to produce great results. All the boxing stuff, then some lifting, then some cardio? Going to be hard to make gains in all 3.

ah now we're getting somewhere. Enlighten me as im not too savvy.

but then again im supposed to be in the conditioning forum learning this shit. But i dont mind hearing first hand accounts on what i should be doing. Or rather, what you think i should be doing.

You're going to have to experiment. There's too many options out there, and I'd be willing to wager few people here have your physical dimensions and goals.

true. but there must be some universal boxing exercises that i must be skimping on.

2 hours isnt THAT long to be spending in the boxing gym to be honest.

Personally, I'm doing most of my conditioning in the mornings before work, mostly distance runs, hills and sprints. After work I go to the gym and get 90-120 minutes (or more on rare occasions) of work in. The last 15-20 minutes or so are usually conditioning or strength oriented. Lots of burpees, core movements, medicine ball drills, or maybe a challenge from the conditionin forum.

One of the pros at my gym does two training sessions a day. One for conditioning and one for boxing. For conditioning he does this weird thing where he shadow boxes in front of the heavbag. He's doing bag work but not really hitting it. Works on technique and speed. He also does rounds of stuff like burpees, this thing where he runs and jumps around in the ring (I've seen Pacquiao do something similar), push ups, pulling rubber bands etc. I also seen him do a round or two where the coach hits him in the body for a full round or stands on his stomach while he's doing crunches.

Damn you do 3 rounds on the uppercut bag? hehe, it's funny at one of my gyms they hung that bag at head height and I was like "what do you use it for practicing headbutts or something?"

- Wrestler's neck bridges!
- couple times a week, run intervals instead of the mile run
- pick up a book of plyometrics and do random shit from it

2 hours isnt THAT long to be spending in the boxing gym to be honest.

Personally, I'm doing most of my conditioning in the mornings before work, mostly distance runs, hills and sprints. After work I go to the gym and get 90-120 minutes (or more on rare occasions) of work in. The last 15-20 minutes or so are usually conditioning or strength oriented. Lots of burpees, core movements, medicine ball drills, or maybe a challenge from the conditionin forum.

It really isnt. Time flies when you're punching shit.

And yeah i realized that theres alot more to ab work than just sit ups. I need to develop a routine for the core itself.

Damn you do 3 rounds on the uppercut bag? hehe, it's funny at one of my gyms they hung that bag at head height and I was like "what do you use it for practicing headbutts or something?"

- Wrestler's neck bridges!
- couple times a week, run intervals instead of the mile run
- pick up a book of plyometrics and do random shit from it

Yeah, but they're not all out rounds. Its mostly just to hone my technique as its kind of hard to uppercut a heavy bag. Unless you're getting it in the gut. But the uppercut bag works well, since you have to aim the placement up the middle and center, almost as if you're going in between the guys guard/elbows.

and its real strange that you mentioned Bridges, because last night i was thinking of how to increase hip strength and lower back strength and Bridges popped right into my head. Im gonna start using them. Cept they fucking hurt your head if you dont have a mat.

Interval runs, gonna start. And the idea of plyos popped into my head also, because as i said, i want to start doing more bodyweight exercises and i heard plyos can make you more explosive in the process. sweet.

kudos for the inputs.

try something like this

1 min: Sledgehammer (hit a tire with a sledgehammer)
1 min: Bear Crawls (I do them against an achored band for resistance)
1 min: DB Power Snatches (Alternate arms, use a weight you can do for the full minute)
1 min: Burpees
1 min Rest

Repeat

You can substitute any exercise in here really. I throw in a lot of box jumps, tire flips, push ups, body weight squats, pull ups, sprints, DB or KB clean and presses. . .the possibilities are endless. This is been one of the best ways I've found to increase my conditioning. Running distance is a thing of the past for me.

try something like this

1 min: Sledgehammer (hit a tire with a sledgehammer)
1 min: Bear Crawls (I do them against an achored band for resistance)
1 min: DB Power Snatches (Alternate arms, use a weight you can do for the full minute)
1 min: Burpees
1 min Rest

Repeat

definitely want to start bashing tires with a sledgehammer. That method looks tried and true. I heard it develops back power like no other. Now i just need to find a Tire..

Just run into a an automotive shop or anywhere that does tire changes, they usually have quite a few used old ones they throw out and will give them to you for free. I picked up one from canadian tire the other day no problem

and alas..i am too lazy to search up all the conditioning threads and put together my own. So im asking some of you stand up fighters to incorporate more exercises and workouts into my pretty basic regimen.

The reason why im now so eager to improve my routine is because this other trainers stable of fighters all work their routine together. Sprints, ab work..all that good stuff. While im flying solo. Now this i dont really mind. I can push myself to do everything they do and more, but at this point its just a matter of guidance and knowing what to do. I really want to get my conditioning up to par with these guys. Cus i dont like the way this trainer is makin it seem like i'd be scared to rumble with his cats. In reality, i'd scrap any one of them with or without the gloves. And if it was a rough and tumble match i'd probablly take em..but thats beside the point.

So i come to you guys..The sport is boxing..3 minutes per round on the timer..I'll just lay it out.

-3x rounds shadowboxing
-3x rounds on the heavy bag
-3x rounds uppercut bag
-3x rounds pads (the days differ)
-3x rounds speed bag
-3x rounds double end
-2x sets of 30 sit ups with a med ball (i do 10 twists on each side, then 10 regular)

Attempt some pulls ups. Lift weights. (Though im not really concerned about the weight lifting)

Then i hit the track and run usually 1-2 miles. Going to start incorporating Sprints again. Tabata if i can even manage.

So there it is, like i said, real basic. I noticed i dont do much bodyweight exercises if any. So yeah. Pimp my routine plz.

Anaerobic is lacking. You do not have to do weights for pure strength. You can do it for killer conditioning. I do/did this thing that I call frantic. It is one exercise on all major muscle groups, each going to failure plus and you never take your hands off the bar until you are done. You will be miserable because there is no end. See what you are made of and how easily you quit. Simple exercise. Works like this:

Take a straight bar. Take a weight that is 30% of your own body weight.

Bench it until you get tired and your arms are on fire and keep going for a long time after. Do not stop until you are screaming. Don't drop the weight. Go right into the next exercise.

Immediately get up and do the same with bent over rows. The count starts when you don't think you can go any further. The number will be less.

Hold the bar and do plea or power squats. Should be a higher number but you wind will start sucking (DO NOT STOP)

Instantly sit on the bench and do military presses. Same thing dont drop the bar.

Flip your wrists over and do curls.

Get up on your toes with the next exercise being calves (stop if you start to feel your wind coming back)

Flip to an alternate grip and do deadlifts the same way.

Lying tricep extensions are the last exercise.

That is the weight portion. Do abs, a plank and repeat. Each set used to take me 12 minutes.

A very bad way to spend a 1/2 hour if you have a fire and dont quit.

The beauty is that the weights are light enough so you do not need a warm up. The work starts when you want to stop. That is when you keep going. The light weight allows you you keep going. After a while, you can't breathe, holding the bar is agonizing. Learn to live in this pain will be a good thing. Get angry at it and do not let it beat you.

Rules - Every exercise starts when you first realize that you have to quit. You keep going for a long time.

Never put the bar down

Never stop. Pause for a second if you must but never stop.

Back