So I Just Watched "Public Enemies"...

HereticBD

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
The Micheal Mann film about Dillinger.

I saw this way back when it first came out, and was underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting something more akin to a Scorsese flick, and left the theater a little disappointed. Thought it was boring, and rather uninspired.

Oh', but that Micheal Mann slow burn. Checked it out on a whim today, and I was wrong. Dead wrong. This flick is great. It's more of a character study, than a straight up gangster flick, and that might have been what turned me off the first time. The film is rich in it's psychology of it's subject(s), and isn't too concerned with glamorizing his exploits.

One of those films that ages gracefully, and shouldn't be judged upon a single viewing. What did y'all think?

I think I would initially score this flick about a 6/10. Now though, I'd bump that fucker up to about an 8/10, maybe even a 9. Great flick.

Don Frye had a small role as one of the Texas Rangers.
public-enemies.jpg

The Micheal Mann film about Dillinger.

I saw this way back when it first came out, and was underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting something more akin to a Scorsese flick, and left the theater a little disappointed. Thought it was boring, and rather uninspired.

Oh', but that Micheal Mann slow burn. Checked it out on a whim today, and I was wrong. Dead wrong. This flick is great. It's more of a character study, than a straight up gangster flick, and that might have been what turned me off the first time. The film is rich in it's psychology of it's subject(s), and isn't too concerned with glamorizing his exploits.

One of those films that ages gracefully, and shouldn't be judged upon a single viewing. What did y'all think?

I think I would initially score this flick about a 6/10. Now though, I'd bump that fucker up to about an 8/10, maybe even a 9. Great flick.

One of the things that suck about that movie is the camera work. They try to make it feel like you're in the action. I think they used some handheld cameras for certain scenes. They should of just stuck to normal camera movements/procedures. Other than that, it's not too bad.

Honestly the only thing I can remember about it at the time was hating the cinematography which was discussed to death amongst nerds like myself(looked like video) I'd have to give it a rewatch.

One of the things that suck about that movie is the camera work. They try to make it feel like you're in the action. I think they used some handheld cameras for certain scenes. They should of just stuck to normal camera movements/procedures. Other than that, it's not too bad.

I didn't like it at first either. It can look a little cheap. BUT, this time around, I think it did achieve what it was trying to to. The special effects really carry it. It is a little too "Go Pro" at times, but it's so seamless that it works. As far as the "shaky cam" goes, it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it. I think when I first saw it, I was annoyed with anything that resembled that shaky cam shit. Now though....dare I say it...the action looks more realistic. In this movie at least. It's really well done.

I thought it was fuckin great. Like getting to see an old timey version of heat

I didn't like it at first either. It can look a little cheap. BUT, this time around, I think it did achieve what it was trying to to. The special effects really carry it. It is a little too "Go Pro" at times, but it's so seamless that it works. As far as the "shaky cam" goes, it wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered it. I think when I first saw it, I was annoyed with anything that resembled that shaky cam shit. Now though....dare I say it...the action looks more realistic. In this movie at least. It's really well done.

http://revision3.com/trs/amazoo

11:00 min they talk about the video in this movie and the one guy made a great analogy "....there were sequences were the video was very distancing because it felt like im watching the behind the scenes of how the action scene was shot instead of the actual scene itself"

It doesn't hold a candle to Heat, it's not within 10,000 miles of it.

I remember seeing this in the theater as well, and being disappointed. The digital. The overuse of shaky-cam. The drag. On. And on. Minus the slow burn that leads to an amazing fire, like Heat had.

Michael Mann has been on a skid for quite a long while. I watched his recent film Blackhat (2015), which was also a dud. TS, perhaps you will like that one, but for me it suffers the same problems as Public Enemies: long, slow, digital, dud.

I remember seeing this in the theater as well, and being disappointed. The digital. The overuse of shaky-cam. The drag. On. And on. Minus the slow burn that leads to an amazing fire, like Heat had.

Michael Mann has been on a skid for quite a long while. I watched his recent film Blackhat (2015), which was also a dud. TS, perhaps you will like that one, but for me it suffers the same problems as Public Enemies: long, slow, digital, dud.

I didn't hate it but it was definitely dull for long stretches. I know that it was how he was supposed to be but I thought it was likely the more uninteresting Bale performance I've ever seen. I don't fault him for it- I think they wanted Purvis to just be pure straight and narrow, no nonsense, uncharismatic dude but it was just kind of odd to see Bale limited like that.

Liked Cotilliard and Depp in it though.

Highlight was Stephen Graham (always awesome) as Babyface Nelson in my opinion. When he was involved the film came alive in ways that it did not for much of its running length.

I liked this film in theatres but loved it on repeat viewings.
I enjoyed the realistic way the action was filmed, there were some fantastic shootouts, robbery and prison breaks. while not as exciting of a story as Heat, seeing a cops and robbers story play out in that era is unique and kept it very interesting.

Acting was great across the board although it's true bale vs depp doesn't come close to Pacino vs deniro.

Anyone catch the subtle joke about Dillinger's infamously giant dick?:D

the majority of mann films are sub-par. . . his devotion to the exact opposite of what i love in filmmakers is always present.
i saw public enemies during it's opening week. it was my first year of college. i have a weird memory system; i can go back to the exact moment i came out of the side entrance. here is what i thought: i went to this film in order to see don frye, johnny depp is a statue actor, and this french woman will be a star.

D/A+

Did someone say Heat???

ahh I love that flick

PE was ok, I watched it again, but it still is just a mediocre movie to me. Nothing special, but it's ok to watch if you've never seen it and you're snowed in with no cable and that's the only dvd in the whole house.

Not to be confused with Pubic Enemies which is a Troma film loosely based on the only documented case of crabs that the Toxic Avenger contracted.

I think many of Michael Mann's recent movies are overly & unfairly criticized because he's being held to a higher standard. The Heat standard.

Same with Depeche Mode. They could put out a fantastic album, and people will still talk shit because it's not Violator.

Are Mann's recent movies perfect? No, there are plenty of flaws. They don't deserve the hate they get though. Miami Vice is another movie that's gotten more praise over time.

Blackhat was heavily criticized when it came out. I saw it on-demand with low expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised. Sure it had a few flaws, but it had plenty of classic Mann dialogue, a fun story, and classic Mann shoot-outs.

I still think he has what it takes to make another legendary movie. He needs to get ride of the shaky came, get a new editor, and work with a writer. The guy's talent is still there.

So I just watched this again.

Fantastic.

Don Frye/10

I know that it was how he was supposed to be but I thought it was likely the more uninteresting Bale performance I've ever seen. I don't fault him for it- I think they wanted Purvis to just be pure straight and narrow, no nonsense, uncharismatic dude but it was just kind of odd to see Bale limited like that.
I love Bale in this. Not only does he look probably his best, he's playing Purvis' guilt so well, you can see him succumbing to suicide.

It was a good film, it also made me learn back then that everyone drove stick rather than auto, and they had dope attire.

The movie was okay, but the camera work was shit. MM tried to make it look realistic.

Back