So I just had my first Kickbox bag training

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Dayuum, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Dayuum

Dayuum Orange Belt

And wow, my kicks/knees are terrible.

When I kicked it, it felt like I nearly broke my shins and my kicking technique with my non-dominant leg is pathetic.

Do I need to condition my shins or are my leg bones just too weak?

Also when I had to knee the bag it felt like my knee was burning from rubbing against the ba and it hurt in general

I thought my legs were pretty conditioned from playing soccer for like 3 years now

2. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

Sounds cliche but drink lots of milk and keep training.
    You'll toughen up more and more with every session.

Most people have terrible kicks and knees at first...because we never use them as weapons. Just keep practicing and pretty soon you'll be able to beat the shit out of a bag for an hour and not really feel anything.

3. bubkusjones

bubkusjones Brown Belt

Everyone feels like that their first session. It's a matter of conditioning your body to become used to the sensation/pain, and conditioning your muscles to be used to the motions required.

Some people say to use shinguards on the bag at first, so you don't have to worry about the pain of kicking while you work the muscles to be able to kick for longer periods and at a quicker pace. Then stop using the guards and work your shin conditioning. That way you're not working both at the same time.

4. Judoxing

Judoxing Red Belt

Don't get discouraged! Your legs are probably very strong from soccer, which will be helpful later on, but right now your legs aren't used to making the kicking motions and it's working muscles you probably didn't know you had. As for the shin pain, that's also because your shins aren't used to smacking into things with that sort of force. By the way, don't worry about the non dominant leg weakness, A: It's further forward than your other leg so it has less time and space to generate force, and would also be way weaker, being your non dominant leg.

5. Dayuum

Dayuum Orange Belt

I can't even make a proper kicking motion with my non dominant leg.:icon_sad:

And I''m afraid of getting injured if I kick too hard, I have a bag at home so I could practice there

6. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

Eventually, some guy is going to tell you to use rolling-pins on your legs; do not listen to this guy.

7. try rolling pins

8. Smw

Smw Purple Belt

You are fine, just keep working hard and and concentrate on your form.

9. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

I'm pretty sure everyone is like that when they start.