So I guess reach does make a difference...

Agree. Jones hands did not look good at all. Big HW would of hurt him.

Gustaffsson actually had really great positioning. Can't say that of most of the other guys Jones fought (in terms of striking). Great head movement and pretty much didnt need to keep his hands up except for the head kicks.

Gus has a chin I don't know to many people who could take that many head kicks.

Gustaffsson actually had really great positioning. Can't say that of most of the other guys Jones fought (in terms of striking). Great head movement and pretty much didnt need to keep his hands up except for the head kicks.

And I would think part of that positioning success was due to Gus' reach. Another fighter might've been able to move like that, but would've had to get closer to take advantage of the position, rendering it potentially less effective.

yup. Jones wanted to prove us wrong. He proved us right. Thanks jon, but we know. Sherdog Knows

Gus has really fluent boxing and footwork that he's shown in all of his fights, which is really hard for most MMA fighters to deal with that don't have that level of boxing. But without a doubt Gus is really good at using his reach too.

stefan struve would knock out jones easily

Nope,but having boxing skills the same level as Gus's whilst also having superb TDD does make a difference.

Or maybe Gustaffson is just plain better then anyone Jones has faced before. Now go fuck yourself.

jones lucky gus don't have ko power.

Or maybe Gustaffson is just plain better then anyone Jones has faced before. Now go fuck yourself.

That would be part of it, but you can't deny that the lack of a large reach advantage played a factor, too.

I mean, is it just a coincidence that Jones gets an opponent with nearly the same reach, and Jones gets his face busted up, has the toughest fight of his career and comes as close to losing (and in may people's eyes, DID lose) as he ever has?

I don't think so.

That being said, you can be damn sure Jones is going to do whatever he can to overcome this issue for the inevitable rematch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back