So I guess Ido Portal was good for Conor after all..?

Conor went from a euroboxing/TKD hybrid fighter who was very light on the feet, who finished guys after accumulating a wide array of strikes, to a guy who just looks for one shot kills and fights stiff and flat footed. That, plus the injuries to his lower body have mounted heavily, combined with lack of work ethic.

Revisionist thinking. Conor beat nate and Eddie without portal iirc. Be ditched him after Nate McGregor one if I'm not mistaken. People always want to make excuses for conors losses.

When he won against Eddie it was because portal wasn't there and he didn't waste his energy with the bouncy movement. Now it's because portal was not there. Lol.

I have literally never heard anyone say he beat Eddie because Portal wasn’t there. You just made that up lmao

Another myth that’s been going around here recently.

Conor did not ditch Portal’s method and then start losing. It was actually the other way around; Ido era Conor got dismantled by Nate. This is what sent him on a search to find a more economical style. He has been struggling with that ever since.

conor didn’t take Nate seriously at all and thought he’d KO him. A lot of guys would gas from throwing that many power shots. Conor brawled with Nate; he fought nothing like the movement based, bouncy guy from the FW days.

One can not remain loose and flowy forever. TJ and Conor were the movement masters of the UFC in their primes, and just look at TJ now - he turned into Randy Couture. Conor being a shell of himself from a decade ago should not be a surprise to anyone. The 3 kids (maybe more?), the multiple businesses, the lawsuits, the drama, the partying, the time off and semi-retirements, the unprecedented amount of money and fame in such a short time are just impossible for a fighter to deal with. The only one that has ever had such a close meteoric rise to super stardom was Tyson, and he ended up in a worse position than Conor even.

Some of y'all are too hard on Conor The Fighter, you need some perspective and to remember who were the top fighters when he was rolling the featherweights. Lol, even young Max is past his prime at this point....just ponder that.

His previous style requires more cardio than his current one and he hasn't been disciplined with his lifestyle. He could get away with it before because he was knocking guys out in the first couple rounds.

If he wanted to go back to that light on the feet style, he would actually have to get serious about a continuous effort, not just going hard in camps.

Clearly it wasn’t Ido that was the problem. Conor was embarrassed by the Ido thing. On top of that he lost the fight in an embarrassing way. A dude with Conors ego can’t handle that kind of shit. A guy that can take a punch with endless cardio was just a bad match up for Conor. He made the proper adjustments (no pun intended) to win for the second fight but it still wasn’t pretty.

Are you saying this from your perspective or from Conor’s? To me, it seems obvious that Conor looked very different in the rematch; way less (wasted) Ido-style movement.

Whether he was embarrassed or not, I don’t know, but he clearly believed that his old style had betrayed him and wanted to come out with a different approach.

Perhaps the Ido style Conor had made him burn a lot of energy as he put on size and got older, when Conor was at featherweight he didn’t have any real cardio issues. That style will drain your legs, you see bouncy karate guys like Lyoto got more stationary and Wonderboy legs get tired out pretty quick now.

But the workouts Ido did with him were legit, yoga and all that stuff really helps an athlete out. Surprised he dumped him because Nate called him a bitch, perhaps his team said Ido is a waste of money and bullshito.

conor didn’t take Nate seriously at all and thought he’d KO him. A lot of guys would gas from throwing that many power shots. Conor brawled with Nate; he fought nothing like the movement based, bouncy guy from the FW days.

Not true at all. Conor in that first fight came out exactly as he’d done in his previous fights. Watch it again - your memory is playing tricks on you.

The only difference was that a) he had extra weight on b) Nate made him miss way more than he was used to and ate the shots that did land, which frustrated Conor and caused him to swing even bigger

Incidentally, all you guys who are expecting a properly filled-in LW to move like a FW are living in la-la land. The move up in weight affected Roy Jones immediately, to give one very famous example.

Last edited:
Are you saying this from your perspective or from Conor’s? To me, it seems obvious that Conor looked very different in the rematch; way less (wasted) Ido-style movement.

Whether he was embarrassed or not, I don’t know, but he clearly believed that his old style had betrayed him and wanted to come out with a different approach.
Yeah I actually agree with what you’re saying. I just think Conor’s old style was actually more beneficial for him. The Nate loss was more of a stylistic thing than Conor needing to change his style. He needed to change it for Nate specifically and that worked. I dont think it was the better option for Conor overall. The eddie fight he appeared to go back to the older style.

The current Conor seems to have become something totally different. I think being rich af and comfortable on top of partying as much as he wants has taken away any possibility of him performing as a high level pro mma fighter. Not that he doesn’t have the skill to be as good as was for the first couple minutes but not for a full 3 rounds let alone five any more.

Perhaps the Ido style Conor had made him burn a lot of energy as he put on size and got older, when Conor was at featherweight he didn’t have any real cardio issues.

I mostly agree but note how many times Conor actually fought past 10 mins at FW - once. And he looked pretty ragged even as he KOed mini Mendes late in rd2.

Even at FW, I think that his style would have caused him problems if he wasn’t bodybagging everyone in under 10mins.

Conor did not ditch Portal’s method and then start losing. It was actually the other way around; Ido era Conor got dismantled by Nate. This is what sent him on a search to find a more economical style. He has been struggling with that ever since.
True but Nate is 6’1 and 185lbs. Conor should have never taken that fight to begin with. He had won everything else up to that point, stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water.

True but Nate is 6’1 and 185lbs. Conor should have never taken that fight to begin with. He had won everything else up to that point, stupid to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I think that Conor could and should have won that fight though. Nate wasn’t at his best there, so a good gameplan and a bit of discipline were all that was needed.

I agree with the other poster who said that Conor came in too cocky about his finishing ability, wanting to send shivers up the spines of all the LWs by flatlining their iron-chinned mexican.

Wait I thought Conrat ditched Ido after the touchbutt in the park comment, and getting obliterated by Nate.

Maybe all of that touch butt and moving exercises were actually good for Conor. Seems like he was a true martial artist back then. Maybe it wasn't Ido's workouts alone per say that helped Conor but it kept him in that mind frame that he should always be mindful of movement, dexterity, flexibility, etc and that's what he worked on even on his own.

Seems like since that "dork in the park with the ponytail" left, Conor has actually regressed as a martial artist and turned into a run of the mill, cage fighter meathead. It's weird. How do you go backwards in your knowledge and progress.

Conor is just getting buffer and stiffer every time we see him. It's almost like he's trying to turn into a Costa or TRT Vitor type of fighter.
Strange.

Doing any type of active recovery is wise for MMA fighters. "Movement" routines or yoga or literally any low impact sporting activity is smart and useful break for your body and mind. Its well established at this point sparring too often is bad and having active recovery days is good.

Conor has always been dogshit at wrestling and BJJ. He was a liability on the mat when he entered the UFC and he will be a liability on the mat on his way out.

He's always been a good puncher with a lot of marketing and good timing. Doing active recovery days has nothing to do with being an incomplete fighter.

Sure, but he didn't lose to Nate due to lack of movement, he lost due to gassing out . Ido isn't a strength and conditioning coach. Conor doesn't know how to be diplomatic with his explosiveness and power. That's not on Ido. Portal changed Conor's bum life.

Back