so i am not sure what to do...

ahcshon

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My current bjj teacher, teaches a new thing every time. For example, 1 day will be mount, 1 day will be guard, 1 day will be side control, etc. So it is getting to the point where I am forgetting things as I am not practicing the same thing throughout the week.

For example, what I am feeling is like there are 50 people (the lesson) trying to get through a door (my mind) all at once. And not everyone is getting in, they are all getting stuck at the door with only a few getting in if that. Ya know what I mean?

My former instructor would teach the same thing for a solid week or two, to make sure everyone in the school would learn the technique and remember it and then move onto something new. He would go around for the week or two and make sure that we knew exactly what it was we were supposed to learn. Back then I felt as if I had a more solid game/learned things better as I would remember the technique.

I've been working on some things with purples sometimes before and after class, but they don't like to drill the same thing for a week or two straight. Every time before class they will have a new thing to show me, which only adds to the "too many people trying to fit through the door," illustration. For example, I'll be like hey lets just work something in halfguard for the week. But they will get bored and will want to try out the latest thing they saw (internet, video, book, etc).

So I am not sure what to do and I would like to hear what you guys have to say. I feel as I am stagnant/ at a plateau because of these teaching styles. My biggest hope is that my former instructor opens up his own school locally or comes back to my school. Apologies for the long post.

How long have you been training? I say just try to remember as much as you can and apply it in live rolling. Over time your instructor will review the techniques and you can pick up some more details, as well as picking some up from the more experienced guys in your gym. Also private lessons are an option.

How long have you been training? I say just try to remember as much as you can and apply it in live rolling. Over time your instructor will review the techniques and you can pick up some more details, as well as picking some up from the more experienced guys in your gym. Also private lessons are an option.

a tad over 2 years. When you say "just try to remember as much as you can and apply it in live rolling," that is what I have been doing for maybe the last 8 months or so and it doesn't feel like it is working as well.

Keep a training log. I wish I had from day one. Try and write down everything after class when you go home - especially try to remember the little details.

This will also get you visualizing moves and looking for the small details in the future, when your instructor explains things.

More importantly, you've got to go back and read it and go over stuff. I usually also write down things I did in rolling that were good, and things that need work. Every day before class I go over the previous week's entries, and pick out a couple things to work on, in addition to whatever we cover in class.

My suggestion is this:

You've been training for 2 years, so you already have a feel for things. You don't have to add everything you see to your game. Focus your energies on everything you like or you feel that would improve your game. Not every technique is for everyone, maybe eventually you can incorporate most techniques to your repertoire, but for now just pick and choose what you like, and then maybe eventually you will see some of the techniques you didn't like start to open up, or be available at various times, then you can start adding those.

i second the training log; the guys i train with like to bounce around technique-wise as well...i write down the little details and review them if i'm going into a rolling session wanting to work on those specific techniques

I agree with what Hayliks said. Pic out your core stuff and use that exclusively in sparring with guys that are less skilled than you.

Also, try to find someone at your own level (early blue or trying to break through to blue) to drill with. Understandable that the purples might get bored (although I think they are still missing out on drilling).
Get someone who has the same mindset and drill with him.

My suggestion is this:

You've been training for 2 years, so you already have a feel for things. You don't have to add everything you see to your game. Focus your energies on everything you like or you feel that would improve your game. Not every technique is for everyone, maybe eventually you can incorporate most techniques to your repertoire, but for now just pick and choose what you like, and then maybe eventually you will see some of the techniques you didn't like start to open up, or be available at various times, then you can start adding those.

This is exactly what I do. I already know my game, so I just try to take in what really helps or is supplemental to my game. Sometimes if I see something new or interesting that I can use, I'll give it a try. Look at guys like Marcelo and Roger. They all have their own game.

Back