So I almost got my buddy DQ'd during coaching.

cjlewis01

Drained Ear Belt/Paper Airplane Champ
@Black
Reaction score
Me and my buddies are blue belts. We went to a local tournament this weekend. Funny thing happened during his first Nogi Intermediate match.

He ended up shooting for a single and his opponent jumped for a triangle. My buddy defended for a while, but couldn't seem to get out. So I told him to stand up to see if his opponent would let go.

He held the guy there for over a minute. He was not in danger of being choked, but couldn't get his shoulder out. He eventually did, and shook the kid to open the guard, but before that I was trying to coach him out of it.

He wasn't taking much direction from me to escape, but nothing was going on. I'm a little ADHD, and was frantically thinking of a way to help him out. I thought back to my wrestling days and some past tournaments where I jumped guard, and told him just to slowly walk out of bounds.

So I tell him... remember this was after literally a minute holding the guy. "I don't know, just walk out of bounds!" The ref got super pissed and was like he'll get DQ'd and banned for a year. I then had to yell "don't walk out of bounds"

What should I have told him to escape properly?

How do you guys feel about that position? In MMA you just get slammed to your doom. AS an avid guard puller, who's been slammed out of sub attempts in MMA,I don't know if that is really fair that this isn't like a stalemate where they reset standing or something...

any words or ideas f12?

yeah, he could just stand up and see how long the bottom guy can hold on the triangle.

he eventually will get tired and let go.

defending the triangle and counter on your knees is way more dangerous than standing.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I think after a full minute they should call a stalemate and restart standing neutral.

to be honest, standing and just shaking off a triangle is dangerous for the safety of the bottom guy.

He did not hook the leg and got himself lifted in the air (which should have never happened at the first place).

Once he gets tired, he will just let go and hope to be able to breakfall his fall.

But I doubt that. In BJJ, the lifter is responsible for ensuring that the bottom guy returns safely to the ground (which is very unlikley if his counter is to stand up).

you cannot call stalling during a submission attempt.

yea, that makes sense. It was a bonehead coaching move by me for sure... I'm just glad it didn't end up costing him.

I used to not really not care about this position. But being so used to not having to worry about being picked up adversely affected my during my MMA debut. So now I've been looking at the position a little differently.

Was this in Maryland? My friend had a triangle on someone and the opponent stood up for a while but I'm not sure how that ended.

Was this the agc in ohio? Under 140?

Yes it was lol... I was the asshole yelling and almost got my buddy DQ'd.

I understand getting DQed but banned for a year? lol was that ref serious or just retarded?

Ban for a year is ridiculously harsh.

After the ref yelled at you, you should've suggested slamming.

Yea, I would have felt terrible, I already felt embarrassed for looking like an idiot. I understand the rule now, I wasn't even thinking about the sub attempt because in reality it had been so long in my mind, that was more of a position than an actual attempt. Some guy did something similar to me, but I pulled guard and it wasn't the same organization. That's where I got the idea.

I think the ban is because space is an issue at these tournaments, and usually it goes from mat to hardwood, and someone fleeing could really hurt someone. So I can see why a ban would be the letter of the law. In this case, I think it would have been excessive, but that doesn't change that my buddy would have definitely broken the rule.

How do you throw a triangle when your opponent has a single leg? Hikkikomi Gaeshi/Uchi Mata are all I've ever used as counters to a single, I'm genuinely intrigued.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. I think after a full minute they should call a stalemate and restart standing neutral.

No no no no!

It sometimes takes a while but if ive got a triangle locked and they restarted us i'd lose the plot.

Some referee disqualified Rene Lopez at the ADCC Pro trials AFTER he had won and both competitors were off of the mats because his coach, Robert Drysdale, was yelling in Portuguese to the referee (from the second level of the sports complex [very far from the actual mat]). The referee got a crazed look in his eyes and ran off the mat to retrieve the competitor and brought him back to the ring to raise his arm as the 'winner'. I have never seen anything like it in my entire life. - E

Off topic,

TS, how is the ear going?

How do you throw a triangle when your opponent has a single leg? Hikkikomi Gaeshi/Uchi Mata are all I've ever used as counters to a single, I'm genuinely intrigued.

it's not that hard to visualize. especially if your opponent is almost upright & carrying your leg almost to your chest & really close to you. there's a vid posted here a year or 2 ago with a guy going for the triangle when his opponent took his time with it.

bottom line: don't get lazy with your single leg.

Get your trapped leg to the outside. Then grab the back of your oppobents head or neck with the your hands. Jump up and throw your free leg over your opponent's shoulder and lock your legs making sure to drive your hips up. Also, don' let go of the your opponent's neck or the back of their head or you will just fall to the ground. I used to hit these quite often.

I was there. That was my teammate and hes 15 years old. We put him in the adult division to see how he would do. I personally didnt hear the ref say he would ban him for a year, but I wouldnt be surprised because your guy slammed him before that. I do not think the slam was intentional, as he shot the triangle fast, and I dont think he had enough time to come to a knee. The AGC is an awesome tournament though, with great competitors.

Oh, I remember when I was a white belt at my first tourney. Simpler times (sigh)

Back