So I’ve rewatched the Vazquez vs Marquez showdowns

I love these fights, obv excluding the fourth which was just sad. But I think my favorite was the third fight, one of my all time favs acutally, b/c it went the distance and the drama w/ the kd called at the end, ooohh shit that was crazy.

Such a close fight. Haven't seen it in awhile but I think I had it like 113/112 or some weird shit like that. One point for Vazquez either way. What a trilogy. I don't like counting the fourth but as you mentioned, Hagler, it needs to be referenced b/c they did fight.

I love both of these guys b/c they're fucking warriors but Rafa's boxing and his classic boxing ability was beautiful along w/ his power and vulnerability getting caught and a tendency for the dramatic. Vazquez was great in his own right too, obv.

I love these fights, obv excluding the fourth which was just sad. But I think my favorite was the third fight, one of my all time favs acutally, b/c it went the distance and the drama w/ the kd called at the end, ooohh shit that was crazy.

Such a close fight. Haven't seen it in awhile but I think I had it like 113/112 or some weird shit like that. One point for Vazquez either way. What a trilogy. I don't like counting the fourth but as you mentioned, Hagler, it needs to be referenced b/c they did fight.

I love both of these guys b/c they're fucking warriors but Rafa's boxing and his classic boxing ability was beautiful along w/ his power and vulnerability getting caught and a tendency for the dramatic. Vazquez was great in his own right too, obv.

Among my favorite fantasy fights I wonder how either guy would fare against Wilfredo Gomez. Insane shit IMO.

Among my favorite fantasy fights I wonder how either guy would fare against Wilfredo Gomez. Insane shit IMO.
Ohh yeah! You know I'm a Gomez guy that would be fireworks against either guy. They all come to fight no matter what. Guaranteed hard on inducing violence. Full homo I'm all about that shit, def a fantasy matchup that I never really thought about. Great idea. I'd pay more than I'm willing to admit to see that shit.

Ohh yeah! You know I'm a Gomez guy that would be fireworks against either guy. They all come to fight no matter what. Guaranteed hard on inducing violence. Full homo I'm all about that shit, def a fantasy matchup that I never really thought about. Great idea. I'd pay more than I'm willing to admit to see that shit.

Gomez was into inflicting pain and didn’t mind taking it at all. Add the Mexico-Puerto Rico itch and you get something out of this world.

Gomez was into inflicting pain and didn’t mind taking it at all. Add the Mexico-Puerto Rico itch and you get something out of this world.
It never ceases to amaze me that such a small island like PR could compete w/ a powerhouse boxing country like Mexico. I love my Mexicanos but my PR boys can fight like crazy. Gomez embodied that to the fullest. Such a great rivalry.

It never ceases to amaze me that such a small island like PR could compete w/ a powerhouse boxing country like Mexico. I love my Mexicanos but my PR boys can fight like crazy. Gomez embodied that to the fullest. Such a great rivalry.

Gomez embodied the rivalry. Damn the HoF, the Zarate, Sanchez and Pintor fights earned him a spot in Valhalla.

I’m a Puerto Rico fanboy. Still the Juanma Lopez victory over Rafael Marquez doesn’t please me at all. Marquez was a shell of his former self.

Last edited:

Its one of the most intense, skillful, and dramatic fight I've ever seen. If I made a personal list of what I think were the top 10 greatest fights of all time I would have a hard time not putting Vasquez vs Marquez 3 in there.

Gomez embodied the rivalry. Damn the HoF, the Zarate, Sanchez and Pintor fights earned him a spot in the Valhalla.

I’m a Puerto Rico fanboy. Still the Juanma Lopez victory over Rafael Marquez doesn’t please me at all. Marquez was a shell of his former self.
Those three fights show exactly what Wilfredo was. He beat down a great in Zarate and made him look like an ammy. He took a beating from Sanchez and showed his durability and heart even in a tough loss. He fought Pintor toe to toe and showed he could take it as well as he could give it and come out on top in a savage war type of bout. Amazing fighter. I love Wilfredo Gomez!

Its one of the most intense, skillful, and dramatic fight I've ever seen. If I made a personal list of what I think were the top 10 greatest fights of all time I would have a hard time not putting Vasquez vs Marquez 3 in there.
Yup it's on a short list of my favorite/all time best fights that I've ever seen, no doubt.

It’s an acquired taste. This isn’t the trilogy you show people to get them into boxing.

What fight/fights/rivalries would you show people to get them into boxing?

What fight/fights/rivalries would you show people to get them into boxing?

Good question. I’d say some less bloody stuff. Maybe I underestimate people’s bloodlust.

I think Ward/Gatti 1 would be a fight I'd show to a newcomer to boxing but that's just me. Pavlik/Taylor 1 is an all time favorite of mine as well, fun watch, shortish fight, and a great comeback. Those are two imo off the top of my head.

That's actually a good thread. Never thought about the blood thing, I know ppl who can't handle that shit. Good point on that.

I think Ward/Gatti 1 would be a fight I'd show to a newcomer to boxing but that's just me. Pavlik/Taylor 1 is an all time favorite of mine as well, fun watch, shortish fight, and a great comeback. Those are two imo off the top of my head.

That's actually a good thread. Never thought about the blood thing, I know ppl who can't handle that shit. Good point on that.

As a boxing fan watching Vazquez-Marquez 2 I was both thrilled and scared shitless.

Oh man, Gomez wrecks either guy.

Thanks for the heads up, @Hagler. I hadn’t heard of either of these Mexicans but less their fights with each other.

Back