So How Will Daniel Cormier Do At LHW? Will He Actually Beat Jon Jones?

Why?

Cormier is a much better wrestler, and he has some serious power in his hands.He frequently break his hands because he hits so damn hard so jones, whose chin i still question, would be in trouble if he connected.

The only thing that should worry Cormier should be the reach.

I can't see Cormier getting close enough to Jones to use his wrestling. Jones would have an insane reach advantage. Cormier is tough as nails, but its a bad matchup for him because, unlike some of the bigger guys Cormier has faced, Jones knows how to use his reach.

My first thought after Cain won was, what will Cormier do? I hope he drops to 205, but an immediate title shot is a bit much. Not because he wouldn't deserve it with his record, but because the UFC certainly will want to see how he performs at 205 first. What about Gus for #1 contender fight?

A lot of what if's

I see him gassing quick as well

I think he'll do great at lhw but he's not beating Jones. I'd pick jones over everyone: Anderson, Cain, you name it

Why?

Cormier is a much better wrestler, and he has some serious power in his hands.He frequently break his hands because he hits so damn hard so jones, whose chin i still question, would be in trouble if he connected.

The only thing that should worry Cormier should be the reach.

Jones defeated Shogun, Rampage, Badar, Rashard, Machida and Vitor...among these fights he experienced powerful punchers, wrestlers, unorthodox styles, 5 rounds..etc...

Look at what Jones had done....

Let me revise, IF Cormier is able to find a good strategy like Cain vs JDS and Shogun vs Machida, then he will have a chance.

I think moving to 205 would be a disaster for Cormier. He's 33 years old. I think losing that much weight would take too much out of him

I can't see Cormier getting close enough to Jones to use his wrestling. Jones would have an insane reach advantage. Cormier is tough as nails, but its a bad matchup for him because, unlike some of the bigger guys Cormier has faced, Jones knows how to use his reach.

Valid point.

If only Rashad, who is also shorter, tried to shoot more on Jones, then we would have had a clearer picture on how important the reach really is, when it comes to defense.

It's definitely a big question mark.

What if DC loses his strikeforce fight ina few weeks

Last edited:
Jones will keep him a mile away with jabs and kicks, I can see Cormier beating everyone but Jones though.

If i was Cormier i would wait before cutting to LHW if that's what he want to do due to Cain being champ. I'd wait until Cain has faced at least Reem and see what happens. If Reem beats Cain then Cormier may stay at HW and get a shot.

This is what he should do. No one even knows if he would be comfortable making the move to LHW and he has already established himself as one of the top HW's. No need to rush to another division because your boy is the champ in the one you fight in. Take a couple of fights with top contenders in the division and see what happens with Cain in the next few fights. Cain may lose the title opening up the door for Cormier. I hope not but anything can happen.

Jones defeated Shogun, Rampage, Badar, Rashard, Machida and Vitor...among these fights he experienced powerful punchers, wrestlers, unorthodox styles, 5 rounds..etc...

Look at what Jones had done....

Let me revise, IF Cormier is able to find a good strategy like Cain vs JDS and Shogun vs Machida, then he will have a chance.

Jones is obviously great (proved it inside the cage). Nobody said otherwise he can dictate where the battle goes most of time due to his strong wrestling and his unorthodox striking.

However None of those guys compare to Cormier ( in what he brings). He's a different type of opponent, a much better wrestler with knockout power. You can't compare him to freakin' Bader, and Rashad never really tested Jones' TDD. This is one of those instances where we either see Jones exposed on the ground by a superior and stronger wrestler or he will look even more unbeatable after the match is done.

LHW or HW, doesn't matter.

Cormier will conquer.

Oh, and I think he can beat Jones.

I think he would look just as bad as everyone else has against Jones. People don't seem to understand the skill difference between LHW and HW and when he drops they will understand.

LHW or HW, doesn't matter.

Cormier will conquer.

Oh, and I think he can beat Jones.

This, Cormier is coming for the gold. I do think he needs a one-fight trial run at LHW though so he can dispel the weight cutting talk before getting his title shot. Once he does though JJ's reign is over.

Jones would get smashed by_________

__________ has better wrestling or striking than jones, watch him get exposed.

Nothing new on sherdog

I think he would look just as bad as everyone else has against Jones. People don't seem to understand the skill difference between LHW and HW and when he drops they will understand.

So you are convinced Jones could move up and clean out the HW division?

Didn't Cormier wreck his kidneys years ago cutting weight for wrestling?

Cormier has never fought such a well rounded fighter as Jones. We have not seen his defensive striking or ability to quickly switch between striking and ground game.

Look at JDS. He had looked unbeatable before Cain fought him using the proper gameplan.

He won't get a title shot right away because Dana and co will want him to prove he can make and stay at 205er. They don't want somebody to drop down and beat Jones and then have to vacate because they can't make weight to keep the title.

Now if they made a 220lb division, Cormier could be the flag bearer for it.

Back