So How Will Daniel Cormier Do At LHW? Will He Actually Beat Jon Jones?

Cutty

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Now that Cain took back the HW title with a vengeance, these two seem to be on a collision course. Cormier’s said on numerous occasions that he would move down if necessary and they have already exchanged words in the past:

"At the Chael Sonnen fight, he walked up and got to his seat, and he asked me, 'Hey, are you going to 205?' I said, 'Yeah, we're gonna have to fight.' He goes, 'Good, cuz I'm ready for you.' So, obviously, this is a fight that he actually thinks about. But, I guess it just doesn't work for him, right now." -Cormier 2012

Cormier is NCAA1 All-American collegiate wrestler, a 2x Olympian for Team USA, and a good kick boxer with explosive knockout power. Is he the guy to dethrone Jones?

I hope he drops but wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Nelson and went back on his word.

No, and he shouldn't get an immediate title shot either. We have no idea how he will fare at LHW, he might have shit cardio for all we know.

I doubt he could, I think he probably would get the immediate shot because the UFC aren't interested in being a fight league anymore, they're all about the mega bucks.

The guy has a bad history with cutting weight, there is no telling how he will do. If can do it well and be healthy and as powerful as he was in the Barnett and Bigfoot fights he can be a force.

I hope he drops but wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Nelson and went back on his word.

LOL. I just can't picture him moving down for some reason, but only he knows.He should do it though since Dana said he could get an immediate title shot.

I am not a fan of Jon Jones because of his attitude, but I do not think Cormier has a chance at all. In fact, I do not know who has a chance in UFC against Jon Jones.

Ideas?

LHW or HW, doesn't matter.

Cormier will conquer.

Oh, and I think he can beat Jones.

I think Phil Davis is the guy to beat Jones

If i was Cormier i would wait before cutting to LHW if that's what he want to do due to Cain being champ. I'd wait until Cain has faced at least Reem and see what happens. If Reem beats Cain then Cormier may stay at HW and get a shot.

I am not a fan of Jon Jones because of his attitude, but I do not think Cormier has a chance at all. In fact, I do not know who has a chance in UFC against Jon Jones.

Ideas?

Why?

Cormier is a much better wrestler, and he has some serious power in his hands.He frequently break his hands because he hits so damn hard so jones, whose chin i still question, would be in trouble if he connected.

The only thing that should worry Cormier should be the reach.

Let AS prove himself as GOAT/P4P Best and meet DC at 205. I'd pay for that

I think Cormier will probably beat Jones (though it's hard to tell without seeing him fight at 205), if he can't then I don't see anyone beating Jones at 205 any time soon.

I mostly worry about his speed at LHW. Depending on when he dropped, I could see an immediate shot as the division has been pretty much cleaned out.

I don't think so, but it is far more compelling than Chael v. Jones.

Let AS prove himself as GOAT/P4P Best and meet DC at 205. I'd pay for that

Anderson is already the G.O.A.T, and I'm all for a titan clash between the two champs ( jones - anderson). BUT fighting DC makes no sense at all.

Why?

Cormier is a much better wrestler, and he has some serious power in his hands.He frequently break his hands because he hits so damn hard so jones, whose chin i still question, would be in trouble if he connected.

The only thing that should worry Cormier should be the reach.

Cormier is an elite counter wrestler with amazing TD defense. I don't think his offensive wrestling, particularly in MMA (which is all that really matters here) is any better than Jones' defense. Jones has a huge reach advantage and any speed advantage Cormier may have is negligible. I think its a terrible matchup for Cormier.

Cormier's scrambling is crazy good, though. If he can get Jones off balance enough to at least force some scrambling situations, he could definitely make it very difficult for Jones. I just think it will be very difficult for him to close the distance without getting hurt by Jones' knees and elbows.

I dont see what all the fuss is about dc dropping to 205. Why would u drop to 205 when yur 1 of the best in the world at heavyweight. Yur supposed to drop when the guys in the class yur in are too big for u and yur getting manhandled cause of it. Dc is doing the exact opposite, man handling guys at heavyweight

Back